PDA

View Full Version : Is it the same game?

Max33
04-24-2004, 10:23 AM
What do you think.

When game developers make a sequal and completely change the game mechanics is it really the same game?

Examples:

Mortal Kombat-MK deadly alliance

GTA 1 & 2-GTA 3 & vice city

Amped-Amped 2

I'm of the opinion that theyre not.I feel that games(premise & storyline aside) are defined by their game plat mechanacs.I'm not talking about graphical upgrades mind you or slight gameplay tweeking,but when game play is completely overhauled leaving little or nothing left of the original game but the liscence.

I'll admit that my proposition is based in the fact that some of my favorite games are dead but their liscence lives on,hence the MK and Amped examples but conversly who would argue that GTA is a much better game now than it was in it's previous incarnations?(well there are probably a few)

Anybody got any thoughts on the subject?

SoundX
04-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Most of the time unless it's a real hot series. GTA for instance, or Halo. I only get the original, mainly because yeah, the sequil is basicaly the same game with added stuff.
When a sequil comes out, I think to myself how much fun i had with the original, read a couple of reviews and decide wether it's worth it or not. Spose to depends on if the series has got stale or not too.

Sometimes I used to just by the sequil for the hell of it, updating Fifa for instance. But it's exactly the same damn game, so after 3 years of trading, savin, ect. I stopped getting those. Once Pro-Evo comes out I won't buy a football game for a long time.

To be honest, in my opinion, only a few genres can be effected by this. Sports and Racers being the main ones.

Variation-XBA
04-24-2004, 02:14 PM
I also factor in if its the same people that make the game, or if it's changed developers down the line somewhere. (Burnout 3 being an example).

Naturally (though not always), sequals will be better, add more things, make it look better, fix things, better mechanics (morrowind is a perfect exmaple imo).

Sometimes though its the same game over and over and over and its really stale (Tomb Raider, Angle Of Darkness for exmaple).

Is Goldeneye 2 going to be a TRUE Sequal, I dont think so, since completely new mechanics/story/developer, imo ofcourse