PDA

View Full Version : Halo creator founds new game studio and is making a game for Xbox

OuFtb
04-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Today, Alex Seropian, founder of legendary developer Bungie Studios, today announced his new game studio, Wideload Games. The lead force behind Halo, Myth, and Marathon, Seropian began lay the foundations for the independent developer last year, but only went public with its creation now.

Wideload is built on a business model Seropian calls a “variant of the model that’s been successful in film for some time.” The model sees Seropian and his staff create a game “prototype” which is sold into the publishing and distribution channel. Thereafter, Wideload taps independent game talent to compete the product. According to Seropian, the “focus on prototyping and pre-production eliminates many production risks, as the team is able to see all of the technical and creative issues prior to going into full production.”

Currently, Wideload has around 10 staffers. However, the studio's ranks are expected to expand to about 50 people for its first project, a PC and Xbox game based on the Halo engine. According to Seropian, the game is due "sometime in 2005."

Seropian founded Bungie Software in 1991. He sold the company to Microsoft in mid- 2000 and moved to Redmond, WA. In August, 2002 he left the company and returned to Chicago. In addition to the above-mentioned titles, Seropian contributed to a number of games, including Gnop, Operation Desert Storm, Minotaur: The Labyrinths of Crete, Pathways into Darkness, Marathon 2: Durandal, Marathon Infinity, Myth: The Fallen Lords, Myth II: Soulblighter, Chimera, and Oni.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/26/news_6094537.html

lotec16
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Yea I just saw that too, I don't think it sounds to good.

E Nomini Patri
04-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Yea I just saw that too, I don't think it sounds to good.

:huh:

Are you crazy? Wideload will be a GREAT company!

lotec16
04-26-2004, 06:05 PM
:huh:

Are you crazy? Wideload will be a GREAT company!

Yes, I AM crazy.... just my opinion. Any games in developement/screenshots?

The Executioner
04-26-2004, 07:54 PM
This should be one of the greatest companies. Smaller companies make the best games. Look at bungie and ID when it started out.

JADE8704
04-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Based on the Halo engine, eh? Does that mean he has the rights to it, as Bungie does? Maybe we'll see another blockbuster hit from the co-creator of Halo :)

Koopa
04-26-2004, 09:24 PM
so is this a spin-off satellite of Bungie, like Blue box (Fable) is to Lionhead?

or is it a breakaway, like Flagship (Bill Roeper and some other ex-Blizzard guys) is to Blizzard

E Nomini Patri
04-26-2004, 09:29 PM
I would say it's just another way to help Bungie with its goal of world domination. You have to create sects to assist you if your goal is that ambitious. :)

lotec16
04-26-2004, 09:50 PM
A xbox game... coming out in 2005..... If I was a company, I would wait for xbox 2, if xbox 2 IS coming out in 05. I am surprised that they will get the use of the halo engine, I think i'd like to see another source for that. Has bungie given out their engine before, although it is a former bungie employe, it is another company. I'm not sure if it's the greatest setup to making games tho. slashdot.org had a few good reasons.

Duke
04-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Well he is the founder of the studio, so I'd imagine he has rights to a lot of things that have come out of there.

Ninja
04-27-2004, 10:49 AM
We will find out soon if it's any good. I bet it will be at E3.

E Nomini Patri
04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
They will be at E3, but they won't show anything.

M4v3rIC
04-27-2004, 01:23 PM
sexcellent

SoundX
04-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Awsome, and using the Halo Engine eh? Good stuff.