PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR : The Sith Lords

OuFtb
04-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Surprised we weren't, as Master Yoda would probably say, to learn that a sequel to BioWare's fabulous RPG Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was in the pipeline. After all, only a fool would fail to follow up the original's huge success with another role-playing tour of the Star Wars universe. LucasArts may have produced some duff games in the past, but even it isn't that stupid.

KOTOR's sequel is named Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords, developer Obsidian Entertainment given the rather unenviable task of following up BioWare's smash hit. A fresh face is no bad thing, however, and with Obsidian Entertainment announcing last year that it was to collaborate with BioWare on future console and PC videogames, well, it's like a seal of approval so we can be confident that KOTOR 2 is in safe hands.

Ever since 1977 our chief priority in life has been achieving Jedi status, but luckily our hold onto an ounce of reality has helped us to remember that, like Santa Claus and enjoyable jobs, Jedi's aren't real.

So naturally our immediate want when sitting down with KOTOR was to make like Obi Wan - c'mon, he was mcuh cooler than Luke - and pull off a few twirls with the lightsaber and disrupt the weak minds of wimpy stormtroopers.

In KOTOR this required work, but in the sequel you're instantly zipped up the ranks to Jedi-dom. The main character in The Sith Lords is in fact the last known Jedi, survivor of a civil war between the Jedi that sets the stage for the kick-off of the sequel.

However, part of the sequel involves regaining lost Jedi powers and a re-acquaintance with a lightsaber, so while players begin life in KOTOR 2 as a Jedi, it's a Jedi who's, well, got a bit rusty.

Previous details on KOTOR 2 suggested that it would be set some time on from the original game. In actuality, it's set only five years after events in KOTOR. Although a different storyline that's seen the Jedi Order break apart and the Republic in the direst of dire straits is featured, echoes of the plot in BioWare's title will still ripple through the proceedings.

While little else is known about The Sith Lords' plot at the moment, Obsidian has assured the world that it can expect a focus on a freeform, branching storyline dynamic more or less like we saw in BioWare's title. We do know as well that events will be spread across seven different planets.

Outside the storyline dynamic, a number of the "rules" and gameplay mechanics set out in BioWare's title remain also. Mini-games will be present, with Swoop Racing, Pazaak and likely the Turret-Manning making a return.

Maximum party size is still three, although we are promised some redesigns to the interface that smooth things out during combat. And for those who fell in love with the Ebon Hawk, fear not - it's back.

Under the hood, KOTOR's graphics engine has received a makeover, while the upgrading equipment feature is being given a boost and new classes and Force powers are being introduced. The original game's alignment and Dark Side/Light Side mechanic remains too of course, with different endings promised dependent on which path you tread.

However, this time around your own actions and alignment can influence the alignment of your party members as well, meaning that you can nudge them down Light or Dark paths accordingly.

Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords is expected February 2005, which isn't all that far away. Expect a full, first-hand report on the title at E3 next month.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=103713

I havn't keep up on info on KOTOR 2 so if this is old sorry but I don't think it is.

My bad I just saw the other thread :bang:....see I didn't pay attention :D sorry