PDA

View Full Version : Sega Confirms Outrun 2 For Xbox

OuFtb
04-30-2004, 09:42 AM
They said it would never happen. Then they said it would be PS2 only. Then, well, we all just got bored and started writing about Burnout 3. But now it's time dance in the aisles, skip through the streets and roast in the hotels, with Sega Europe today confirming that the sequel to the most famous arcade racer in history is heading exclusively to Xbox.

OutRun 2 will be shown on Xbox for the very first time at next month's E3 in LA, where the title's Xbox Live compatibility will be displayed, with 2-4 player action in network mode.

Developed somewhat surprisingly in the UK by little know outfit Sumo Digital, OutRun 2 on Xbox will pack all the thrills of the superb coin-op with a host of dazzling extras. An extensive single-player mission mode is the main addition, with full Xbox Live support and unlockable bonus features. All of this is absolutely essential of course, since OutRun 2 was originally designed as a quick-fix coin-guzzler, part of the reason many doubted a home port.

To be perfectly frank, now SoE has made the announcement, you've got to wonder what all the fuss was about. OutRun 2 coin-op is hosted on Chihiro arcade technology, which is directly related to Xbox, therefore there's an Xbox version coming out. It's really not that complicated when all is said and done, is it?

Matthew Woodley, European marketing director of Sega Europe commented: "OutRun2 is one of our most exciting games this year, and after months of speculation, we're delighted to be able to announce its development for Xbox," a statement so smooth it's almost as if it came straight from a press release.

"OutRun is an all-time classic, and OutRun2 is perfectly positioned to build on this legacy and capture a big share of the racing game market. The title delivers a unique driving experience, which we are confident gamers will find hard to resist. The game is looking amazing on Xbox and we're extremely proud to be able to showcase it at this year's E3." Come to daddy... The game, Matt.

Sumo director Carl Cavers added: "For Sega to choose Sumo to work on OutRun2 is a great honour. I believe our professionalism and passion won us this opportunity and we're enjoying every minute of being involved.

"We're working hard with both SEGA and AM2 to ensure that the console version of OutRun2 does the arcade original justice and expands its classic gameplay for the home user. It's a delight to be working on one of SEGA's 'Crown Jewels'". Which conjures up all the wrong images in our twisted minds.

Once the excitement dies down, things need to get serious and two massive question raise themselves: 1) in the home, can OutRun 2 really outpace Criterion's superb-looking Burnout 3? 2) Is Criterion now reading this regretting breaking the bank for an OutRun 2 coin-op for its offices when it could have just waited a bit and shelled out 40 quid?

We'll leave you to ponder those, and pore over the first ever Xbox shots, while we prepare for the unavoidable "what about PS2 and GameCube versions?!" avalanche. Well? What about them, Sega?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=103880

It went from PS2 exculive, straight to a Xbox exclusive..:D

SoundX
04-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Awsome, yeah I read it got cancelled for all platforms in a mag months back.

Good to hear it's back on track.

Ninjermy
04-30-2004, 09:57 AM
thats awesome!!! just goes to show the power of the xbox compared to the PS2!

StudioAlex
04-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Sounds great to me. I hope it sticks to its arcade roots. I was never one for the simulation, gear head racing games.

Max33
04-30-2004, 10:10 AM
OutRun?
OutRun.
OutRun,OutRun,OutRun...soooo many quarters.
At least this time yer only gonna get fifty bucks outa me.

Unreal
04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I will be all over this one, whenever this comes out :D