PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Morrowind GOTY work?

StudioAlex
05-01-2004, 04:55 PM
So I finally bought GOTY and I find it constantly crashes and pauses. Is there a way to fix this problem?

I had Morrowind, and it certainly had it's problems but this game is far worse somehow. What is the freaking deal, here? I've heard the first run of Xboxes have a different driver, one that apparently doesn't work as well as the new one. None of my other games have been problematic. Is there any hope?

Casper
05-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I take it you still have your launch XBox? Might be time for a new one bud....

Duke
05-01-2004, 04:58 PM
I had the same problem (worse than the original) until I stopped using my old Morrowind saves.

It sucks, and is pretty inexcusable, but it is what it is.

Max33
05-01-2004, 04:59 PM
I've got a thompson in my unit and have had the same problems.Try turning off the shadows.I also found it helpful to completely turn down the sound effects in areas where there are alot of wind(RedMountain)

StudioAlex
05-01-2004, 05:07 PM
I had the same problem (worse than the original) until I stopped using my old Morrowind saves.

It sucks, and is pretty inexcusable, but it is what it is.

So if I start a new game, it shouldn't be a problem?

I take it you still have your launch XBox? Might be time for a new one bud....

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a new one. My main problem is trying to move the game saves and the loads of songs installed on there. Of course, Microsoft won't allow you to just transfer data from Xbox to Xbox, because that would be far too simple. Maybe I could, hypothetically-because-we-don't-talk-about-modding-on-these-forums, remove the hard drive and install it on the new xbox. Anybody think that would even work?

Duke
05-01-2004, 05:24 PM
The game is still buggy, and you might still have problems. Casper is right about a new xbox though as well. Mine ran worlds better (even w/ the new GOTY saves) after I picked up my replacement.

But even w/ the old one, most of the serious problems disappeared when I just started from the beginning. After you get past those few frustrating levels, I actually found it fun to go through it again.

StudioAlex
05-01-2004, 06:03 PM
The game is still buggy, and you might still have problems. Casper is right about a new xbox though as well. Mine ran worlds better (even w/ the new GOTY saves) after I picked up my replacement.

But even w/ the old one, most of the serious problems disappeared when I just started from the beginning. After you get past those few frustrating levels, I actually found it fun to go through it again.

I just tried a new game and it froze on that first smuggker's cave around seyda neen. Dammit! I wouldn't be so reluctant to buy a new Xbox if all of my games made my Xbox cry. Guess I'll have to go pick one up tonight.

RockTheCasba
05-01-2004, 08:42 PM
i heard that some discs of Goty crash a lot so i dunno what it is

TuffEagle88
05-02-2004, 08:54 AM
I've got a newer box about 1-2 years old, and mine would crash all the time, but then I deleted most of my morrowind saves, (I had over 250 of them) and it runs pretty good now. I still get a dirty disk error or a freeze about once or twice a day though.
:(
hope a new box fixes it for you. Hypothetically, I don't know why it wouldn't, but I definately don't know a hole lot about it, just make sure you don't fry it if you solder. Hypothetically speaking of course. :)

aero0423
05-02-2004, 09:18 PM
i know this happened to me. you either should buy a new xbox or clean it becuase if you have an old xbox its really really dusty by now.

StudioAlex
05-02-2004, 10:44 PM
I bought a new Xbox, and the game runs ok. It has only crashed once, but it pauses an awful lot. I think Bethesda just kinda half assed it in the optimizing department. I can't fault their design, but really, they should've hired some people who could kick this game into shape. I don't think there is much excuse for it.

CarGuy
05-03-2004, 07:21 AM
I bought a new Xbox, and the game runs ok. It has only crashed once, but it pauses an awful lot. I think Bethesda just kinda half assed it in the optimizing department. I can't fault their design, but really, they should've hired some people who could kick this game into shape. I don't think there is much excuse for it.

I bought a new XBox too because this game wouldn't work.. I haven't had any problems with it since.. At least none that I can remember.. :confused:

Max33
05-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Did you turn the shadows off yet?
I remember those insescent pauses.They frustrated me to no end.Alot of explatives.Then I went to my cousins crib.
My cousin has it on the PC.For some reason,I dunno what, that dude can only go about ten feet every 5 minutes.Talk about slow.

Folgerboy
05-03-2004, 10:47 AM
We did get a lot of copies of the game returned as defective at my store, but then a lot of people have dirty lenses in their machines, so I don't know.

StudioAlex
05-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Did you turn the shadows off yet?
I remember those insescent pauses.They frustrated me to no end.Alot of explatives.Then I went to my cousins crib.
My cousin has it on the PC.For some reason,I dunno what, that dude can only go about ten feet every 5 minutes.Talk about slow.

Yeah, I've always had them off. Thy didn't work very well anyway.

TheWheelMan
05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Ya im hoping its just the game too cause i just got my xbox back in December and it has the new drive um the samsung or the philips im not sure which one but the latest one and ya morrowind does crash alot in random spots every once in awhile the screen just turns black and says i have a damaged or dirty disk it hasnt happened to any other games other the colin mcrae rally 3 but that was also a rented game and i also bought morrowind used so thats prolly the problem

Hard Boiled Cop
05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Its either the game or your xbox. Play with other games and see if it crashes alot. If it does then its you xbox. Get a new one.

Shadow20002
05-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Hmm...i don't have any problems with the GoTY. Maybe change it with a new one from where you get it.

TuffEagle88
05-03-2004, 08:41 PM
I know my xbox is pretty dirty, but I think that morrowind is very much a glitchy and unfinished game, none of my other games have ever locked up, except GTA:VC once or twice.