PDA

View Full Version : Help A Noob! Just Getting Started

brewbob
05-03-2004, 07:14 AM
I thought it would be easy to get started with xbox, but after reading a thread on DVD failures, hard drive failures, etc., you peeps pointed out a lot of pitfalls with older box models, etc.

I was tempted to bid on eBay, but a lot of the boxes were refurbished, etc. Would I be bucking the odds by doing this?

Would it be better (but more expensive) to just buy a brand new box at Best Buy or other discount dealer? One member also highly recommended the extended warranty.

TIA for your help.

Edited to add: I bought the Halo bundle today, so thanks for all the advice!

bostwick202
05-03-2004, 07:17 AM
man, just get a new special edition halo xbox. very cool indeed.

Max33
05-03-2004, 07:21 AM
I'd get a new one.That's where I got mine,eBay, and ended up with a thompson.Endless problems.

sojourner
05-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Ye I'd go for a new box too, and btw welcome to XBA brew bob. :)

brewbob
05-03-2004, 07:43 AM
Thanks to all for the advice, and the warm welcome.

The Halo xbox looks like a good deal (game included, etc.) but other than the cool look of the translucent box, does it actually perform better than the standard version? A reviewer on Best Buy said he compared it to his friends regular xboxes and the load time was faster on his Halo.

Does the Halo have the better Samsung DVD drive?

Yeah, I know, full of questions!

Thanks again,

Bob

Chaotic
05-03-2004, 08:24 AM
If your buying a new xbox it doesn't matter which drive you get because all the drive problems have been fixed. So wether you get a samsung or thomson isn't going to matter..They both will work equally as well...

Welcome to xba :)

SoundX
05-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Yeah, welcome.

I wouldn't really worry to much about that stuff, most Xbox's work fine. Specialy if ya go for that nice Halo Xbox.

*kicks crystal xbox*

brewbob
05-03-2004, 09:04 AM
OK, you guys convinced me to order the Halo Xbox (with Halo game). Circuit City had it for $169 + tax, free shipping. Can't wait for it! I guess I've got the XB addiction, for sure.

Now, when my wife gets home from work and finds out.....................

Amen to the Pat Tillman tribute - He IS a true, American hero.

(ScArab)
05-03-2004, 12:20 PM
brewbob, if you've got any questions or you need any help finding xbox games just ask ME! I'll be more than willing to help you out.

Let me get you started...

I've been playing XBox for a LONG ass time, and i've read everything there is to read about xbox and it's game. I've got Live and i've played most of the good games on the XBox. And here are my recomendations for you.

1) DeathRow - This is a "sports" game, but probably unlike any game you've played before. It's a Frizbee "sports" game, and there are 2 teams, with 4 players on a team. There are 2 goals and 1 Frizbee (or more). The teams can beat the **** out of eachother, blood/cusing you name it this game is violently cool! It's a rather mature game in-terms of its content. But the game play is SUPERB, top quality, and it defined a gener in it's own rite. The graphics are AMAZING, they are as GOOD as Halo, i'm not ****ting you either! They really are good, bumbmapping, poly counts, they're all there. There are 800 character animations per character. You can punch, kick, flip, dive, slide, FLIP THE BIRD, duck, jump, it's all in this game. It's one of the least publicized XBox titles, due to its cussing and fighting. But honestly it's one of the TOP 5 xbox titles ever released. It's what you call a sleeper hit. It even supports System-Link. However, you'll be hard pressed to find a copy, i say this because i haven't seen many around. But if you look, you WILL find one. GL. (no XBox Live support)

2) Rallisport Challenge 2 (RSC 2) - This is a racing game, and I know this game isn't out yet, but i played Rallisport Challenge 1 when it came out two years ago. And that was a great game. As for RSC 2, IGN just gave it a 9.2! It's got Live support and all. The racing elements in the first game were super fun, and the graphics were awesome, and they've all gotten better with this sequal. I highly suggest you go get this game, it should be on the shelves on May 3rd (tomorrow).

3) Project Gotham Racing 2 (PGR 2) - I personally HATED PGR 1, i thought it was too hard to play. But i rented PGR 2 when it came out and found it to be the best racing game on the XBox, MUCH better than Sega GT 2002 (which i played something like 80 hours on). PGR 2 is a GREAT game, if you love to race.

4) Knights Of The Old Republic (KoTR) - This is the BEST RPG ever made next to Final Fantasy 7 (in my opinion). I think KoTR has a better story than all 3 of the movies combined. And that's a hard bargain to pass by. And i'm NOT even a Star Wars fan! This is an amazing RPG, which is totally voiced over diolague so you don't have to read anything! The story is involving, the characters have DEPTH, and the combat is great! You can be a dark or light Jedi, and you chose where you want to go in the game. Easialy one of my favourite XBox games. It took me about 20 or so hours to beat, and that was about a year or so ago, and now i want to re-beat it this summer. Go get this game NOW! Your parents will watch you paly it, it's THAT GOOD/FUN to watch/play!!! (you can Down Load content off of XBox Live)

5) Unreal Championship - If you are a hard cor First Person Shooter fan, and have XBox Live, i suggest you try this game out. Be sure to adjust you sensitivity, and controls. Because the game can be a little demanding on your aming abilities. But it's a fun game for KILLING (supports XBox Live play)

6) Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrw - Get this game ONLY if you have Live. WHY? Because i found the single player to be, well rather blah... But maybe that's just me. I like to play against other people, so i play on Live. If you don't know anything about this game, i suggest you go rent it if you have a Live account, and try out your skillz. It's a VERY competitive game, which requires intelect, planning, and cunning. GL!

7) Counter Stirke - This is a First person shooter, which has two teams, and supports XBox Live. If you haven't heard of it, it's a game that requires knowlege of the guns that you're going to be using to eliminate the other team. In this game there are 2 teams, Terrorists, and Counter-Terrorists. You start the round out with a little amount of $, and when you KILL your enemy, you get $, and when you win the round (either by killing the opposing team, or by completing an objective) you get more $ to buy BIGGER GUNS! The game is really fun, it's fast paced, and working together with your team mates over XBox Live is the best. You can snipe, you can knife, you've got pistoles, and grenades... And the maps are all life like (city like). It's a rather realistic game.

Well those are my top 7 games that i suggest you look into. If you have ANY questions, please go ahead and ask me, i'll be more than happy to answer

Unreal
05-03-2004, 12:29 PM
I thought it would be easy to get started with xbox, but after reading a thread on DVD failures, hard drive failures, etc., you peeps pointed out a lot of pitfalls with older box models, etc.

I was tempted to bid on eBay, but a lot of the boxes were refurbished, etc. Would I be bucking the odds by doing this?

Would it be better (but more expensive) to just buy a brand new box at Best Buy or other discount dealer? One member also highly recommended the extended warranty.

TIA for your help.
Well it depends on how much a refurbished Xbox is. IMO with the system ONLY 149.99 new. Why not get a new one? I have had my Xbox for almost 3 years (This year) and I have yet to have a problem. And its a launch system at that. Good luck :D

Shadow20002
05-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Welcome aboard !! :)

The Jackal
05-03-2004, 03:34 PM
id pick up a new xbox... theyre SO cheap right now