PDA

View Full Version : Halo via Gamespy

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 12:25 AM
Dudes...I have broken down and I finally am going to get my Halo on-line fix via GameSpy. Does anyone know of the link where I can download the GameSpy software?

Thanks!

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 12:52 AM
Gamespy Arcade download page (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/download/#)

Gamespy Tunnel Software direct link (http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/install/gamespytunnel10.exe)

Have fun buddy. :D

xboxpebbles
01-16-2002, 05:04 AM
i wish my comp.
could download and play
games/ cds
somethings wrong w/ the drive
does that mean ill never be
able to go on?
ughh:(
aww..thats ok though...
i still love my XBOX:):)

DrUnKtAnK
01-16-2002, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if you can play co-op on Halo through GameSpy? I haven't had a chance to check out the online options yet....Just curious.

egg
01-16-2002, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know if you can play co-op on Halo through GameSpy? I haven't had a chance to check out the online options yet....Just curious.

YEP!

DrUnKtAnK
01-16-2002, 10:06 AM
Sweet thanks EGG!

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Gamespy Arcade download page (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/download/#)

Gamespy Tunnel Software direct link (http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/install/gamespytunnel10.exe)

Have fun buddy. :D

Thanks, Lynxfx! Do I need to download both of those? I have to do it from my home computer, which I will do tonight. After I get off of work this evening, I'm going to stop at Electronics Boutique to pick up a Switch.

I have my eyes on the Linksys 10/100 5 port Workgroup Switch. Have you ever heard of that? I guess it's aroudn $50 or so...I already have a couple patch cables at home. If figure that this Switch will be sweet in the long run as I can also use it to link up to four XBoxes for supreme LAN play :D

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 11:25 AM
No prob Maximus,

Yes you need both. The tunnel software you only have to run once then forget. Then to connect to games you will be running the gamespy arcade software. Once logged on you will see "xbox" on the left side and after the annoying ads you will finally see the three xbox games that gamespy supports. Click on Halo and you will go to the halo chatroom and can join a game from there.

That switch sounds like a sweet deal.

Egg,

Are you sure about that? I hadn't heard that you could play a co-op mission through gamespy, like the actual game of halo, not multiplayer maps. I admit I never tried but hadn't seen anyone else try either.

skoot182
01-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Maximus, was it you that just LAST NIGHT says there was 100% chance that you were gonna wait???

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

I have my eyes on the Linksys 10/100 5 port Workgroup Switch. Have you ever heard of that? I guess it's aroudn $50 or so...I already have a couple patch cables at home. If figure that this Switch will be sweet in the long run as I can also use it to link up to four XBoxes for supreme LAN play :D

Why only use four of the ports?
Is that a limitation of Halo?

Anyway, here is one for $21 if you're interested:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/i-market/sw5por10nway.html

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by skoot182
Maximus, was it you that just LAST NIGHT says there was 100% chance that you were gonna wait???

lol....probably...but, like I said, I finally broke down...I need Halo on-line...I admit it....Yes, I'm weak like that :D

skoot182
01-16-2002, 12:06 PM
< heavy "groundskeeper willie" accent >

YU VEEKLING!!!!

< /accent >

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

Why only use four of the ports?
Is that a limitation of Halo?

Anyway, here is one for $21 if you're interested:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/i-market/sw5por10nway.html

Wow! Thanks Hugh...and thanks for the reply, too, Lynxfx! I'll look into that Switch, Hugh...it seems to me that saving a little ca$h always makes good sense!

I'm curious, though, my fellow-XBoxaddict buddies - this is in regards to actually installing everything. This is what I know or am guessing:

First, I only have one Ethernet port on the back of my Dell computer. Right now, my broadband cable modem is plugged into it. So, that being the case, I figure I need to un-plug the cable modem from the back of my computer and plug it into the uplink port on the switch. Then, simply take one of my CAT 5 patch cables, plug one end into the computer, and one into one of the ports in the Switch...then, another CAT 5 patch cable into another port and the other end into my XBox. Before doing all of this, of course, I'm sure I need to download both of the Gamespy software downloads.

Is this correct? Is it really that easy? Or am I missing something here?

Rancey
01-16-2002, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't say you are weak Max, actually strong for holding out as long as you did :)

noodleboy
01-16-2002, 12:16 PM
As far as I know, that is the way....I'm not online yet, but thanks to Hugh's link to that switch, I might be real soon. Thanks Hugh, that looks like a sweet deal.

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Jason-XBA
I wouldn't say you are weak Max, actually strong for holding out as long as you did :)

lol...For some reason, I like your way of thinking better than Skoot's! :D :D hehe

Last weekend, I had three buddies over and we hooked up two XBoxes and played Halo's multi-player with four total people...and, we played for six hours and it, truly, only felt like one or two hours! lol...that's how much fun it was!

By the way, I won every single round...so, on-line gamers, beware! :D

Msterrrr
01-16-2002, 03:58 PM
looks like we wont be seeing max as much,,, hehehehe why did you wait so long to join us @ gamespy it totally kicks ((__)_#))
the linksys 5 port workgroup hub you mentioned earlier is the one im using my self 2 cat5 cables the tunnel software and viola !!! if i bumbled my way through it im sure anyone can,, just like splitting home cable for 2 tvs

btw the users over there have doubled since ive first joined:D

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Msterrrr
looks like we wont be seeing max as much,,, hehehehe why did you wait so long to join us @ gamespy it totally kicks ((__)_#))
the linksys 5 port workgroup hub you mentioned earlier is the one im using my self 2 cat5 cables the tunnel software and viola !!! if i bumbled my way through it im sure anyone can,, just like splitting home cable for 2 tvs

btw the users over there have doubled since ive first joined:D

Dude! That's awesome to hear! I can't wait until I get this Switch hooked up. One question, though...do you experience any lag time from this Switch? I hear that Switches, like this one, are better than a traditional HUB since it gives 100% to each port rather than all of the ports sharing.

All I know is that you will see me tonight if you go there :D I plan on showing you guys what a bullet looks like between the eyes from 200 meters away :D hehe...Man, I love this game...too bad we don't have the Communicator yet...I would talk so much trash! :D

Msterrrr
01-16-2002, 04:29 PM
i really dont know to much about the whole switch vs, hub topic but i do know a switch gives two pcs its own dedicated bandwidth not really needed for this app,, anyway,, im using a hub ,, and as far as lag goes sometimes there is and times there isnt,,, if i do get a laggy game i just move on till i find a lag free one,, depends ping's
also i have much better luck with lag free games if im hosting

see ya in blood gultch i'll be packing my pistol figure i'll get 6,,, 7 rds off while your reloading sniper hehehehe:)

:DGATTMAN:D

Frostberg
01-16-2002, 05:34 PM
lol my $5.99 crossover cable is all I need, dont have to buy a costly hub and the like.

And BTW, you CANT play co-op on gamespy...theres no way to do it because it just lets you pick a level, no where to check your LAN for other xboxes. You can only play on the system link option, and this is good enough.

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
lol my $5.99 crossover cable is all I need, dont have to buy a costly hub and the like.

And BTW, you CANT play co-op on gamespy...theres no way to do it because it just lets you pick a level, no where to check your LAN for other xboxes. You can only play on the system link option, and this is good enough.

Frostberg...by only using the Crossover cable only possible because you have two Ethernet ports in that back of your computer or something?

Frostberg
01-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Well my DSL modem connects with USB so I only have 1 NIC...you could have 2 if you wanted to, but in your situiation Max it seems like you would want a hub and RJ-45s just so you can start up your LAN, instead of buying another NIC (theyre cheap tho) and a crossover cable...but see my crossover cable is only 10ft but its ok becuse the comp is about that, but it annoyingly runs directly across the room and tugs by xbox and comp sideways...the system link cable is the same thing as a crossover cable, but i think its 15ft or so...hmm I should buy one

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
Well my DSL modem connects with USB so I only have 1 NIC...you could have 2 if you wanted to, but in your situiation Max it seems like you would want a hub and RJ-45s just so you can start up your LAN, instead of buying another NIC (theyre cheap tho) and a crossover cable...but see my crossover cable is only 10ft but its ok becuse the comp is about that, but it annoyingly runs directly across the room and tugs by xbox and comp sideways...the system link cable is the same thing as a crossover cable, but i think its 15ft or so...hmm I should buy one

Dude, the System Link cable is 20 ft...but, you can buy any old CAT 5 Crossover for cheaper...that's all the System Link Cable is, as you probably know.

But, I see your point...you are using your USB...hmmm... Well, it's all good, though...because, I can just use the Switch for future needs like setting up an XBox LAN...Dude, I'm so pumped! Are you playing Halo tonight? If so, I'll be "Maximus"...go figure!???! :D

Msterrrr
01-16-2002, 06:53 PM
when you do get everything set up and running and me to your buddy list
,,,Gattman,,,:) i feel the need to do some pistol whippin and you thought ceasar was tough!! haha

Frostberg
01-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Yeah I know, I have just a reg crossover cable, but was interested in the system link cable because it was longer, but I didnt know it was 20ft...so now I want it more so I can have the cable run behind the computer and desk and tv entertaintment center/stand

Oh yeah, I play Halo a lot on gamespy, but it seems like I spend a great deal playing SSX Tricky as well...

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Dude! That's awesome to hear! I can't wait until I get this Switch hooked up. One question, though...do you experience any lag time from this Switch? I hear that Switches, like this one, are better than a traditional HUB since it gives 100% to each port rather than all of the ports sharing.

Your Internet connection is probably 1.5Mbps.
A switch is 100Mbps.
There won't be any lag time. :)

Heck...you could easily get away with a $9 hub instead of a switch if you wanted. 100Mbps / 5 ports is still 20Mbps, which is plenty for gaming.

monkeyman
01-17-2002, 09:33 AM
:( im sad cause i know ill never get my xbox online cause you like need dsl or cable modem or something and i know ill never get a good connection anyways i have to wait a year and a half anways if i ever do get it

JJaX
01-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK

Originally posted by egg

YEP!

Uhhh actually NO!

Please know what your talking about before answering questions.

Gamespy tunnel allows system link play over the internet. Co-op is not an option in system link play.

Please people get the facts before you look like an ass. To many people talk garbage and think they know what the hell there talking about. Spitting out false information makes you look like a jackass, jackass. How do you answer with such enthusiasm as if youve accomplished this impossible feat?