PDA

View Full Version : i think my xbox is dying

rolling stone
05-04-2004, 10:36 AM
my xbox keeps giving me the dirty/damaged disk error when i'm playing games. some games it takes longer than others but it always happens eventually. :bang: I think it may be from the abundance of dust for my old dorm room... does anybody else have this problem?

rolling stone
05-04-2004, 10:38 AM
forgot to mention i've had my xbox since december 2001...

Casper
05-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Launch Xbox = Thompson drive, which back then, those are known to go bad and alot of original Xbox owners have since either sent it out to get a new DVD laser (repaired by MS for about 100 bucks) or went and purchased a new one (the Halo bundle on EBGames.com right now is a great deal).

2 things that I did to lengthen the life of my launch box - take a q-tip (completely dry) and put it over the laser to get any dirt/dust off of it that was on there. Also, get a can of compressed air and spray out what you can - you can even open it up to make sure you get everything. Just like a PC, there will be alot of dust inside there if in that kind of envirornment.

Welcome to the site btw.

severd hed
05-04-2004, 12:00 PM
compressed air will help as a temporary fix..but mine also did that alot, and it progressivly got worse.(launch xbox with the Thompson drive) i called MS (1-800-4-my-xbox) and asked about purchasing an extended warranty. (dont mention any problems) It costs $26 for one year and becomes active withing a few days. i waited about a month, then called them up, told them what was wrong. they sent me a box to ship it in(shipping paid by them) so i sent it out on Monday afternoon, it arrived back Friday afternoon and excelent working condition. They replaced my DVD drive with a new Samsung model. and i havent had a problem with it since. (sent it in early January) the only issue i had is that they either replaced my hard drive, or re-imaged it back to factory conditions, so i lost my saved games and soundtracks. (i had most of my game saves on memory cards)

I have since purchased the Halo bundle with the green xbox as a second unit, so that i can mod my first one.( I do alot of traveling with my xbox..and with a 120gb drive in it, i can store my games on the hard drive and not have to take my game disks along)

The new xboxes are quieter than the older models..and they come with the good samsung dvd drives.

Personally i reccomend going with the warranty...since it is only $26 and you are only without the xbox for a week.

SoundX
05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I had a thompson, eventualy drove me to get a Limited Crystal Version, and now like severd hed I'm getting my old one modded (and repaired for free, no extra charge) :)

OuFtb
05-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Launch Xbox's like like Casper said are known to go bad, what I did was call MS, the number is above in a post, told them what it was doing, then brought up I heard they fixed them for free, the guy got out a list of serial numbers off the Xbox's that were bad,I gave him the number off my Xbox it was on the list and it got fixed for free. I'm not sure if they still have the list and fix them for free but its worth a shot to bring it up if you call them.

BinaryXtreme
05-04-2004, 12:27 PM
I've been very lucky and have had my XBOX since the week they came out and never had a problem. Hope it lasts.

CRAYMAN
05-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Launch Xbox's like like Casper said are known to go bad, what I did was call MS, the number is above in a post, told them what it was doing, then brought up I heard they fixed them for free, the guy got out a list of serial numbers off the Xbox's that were bad,I gave him the number off my Xbox it was on the list and it got fixed for free. I'm not sure if they still have the list and fix them for free but its worth a shot to bring it up if you call them.

Awww man, where was this info when I needed it?

Anyway, I bought a new Xbox about 2 months ago(my launch box died) and THEN they come out with this new HALO Xbox. :bang:

Shadow20002
05-04-2004, 01:03 PM
I don't know what have anyone done with their Xbox but mine is working great and it's a launch Xbox.

CRAYMAN
05-04-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't know what have anyone done with their Xbox but mine is working great and it's a launch Xbox.

Well, I didn't have anywhere to put it on the floor of my room, so I just sat my TV on top of it. I figured it was less likely to be stepped on and stuff!

Brutus
05-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Mine had the dirty disc prob for a while. Then I opened it and found dust coating the inside like dust covers cars from dirt roads!
I sprayed it out and it seemed to fix the problem. No more dirty disc errors.
But now all it does is freeze up.
It's wierd, it still won't freeze with the HALO, but if I throw in another game, it'll do it.
What do you guys think? If I take it to a computer store, they'll replace the eye of the drive or what?

severd hed
05-04-2004, 03:06 PM
mine would freeze up alot. especially on video sequences. and my tony hawk 3 game just wouldnt display any video...only audio..but worked fine in 3 other xboxes that my friends own. once i sent it in, they replaced the drive, now the game works fine.

BORNGD
05-04-2004, 04:47 PM
i'm not saying its a good thing that your box is dying, but if mine was, i'd have a good reason to go and buy that limited edition halo xbox...make the best out of this situation...if you can :)

rolling stone
05-04-2004, 08:07 PM
thanks for the feedback guys, that's interesting about the thompson drive. i didn't know about that. I think i'm going to open it up and get all that dust out of there and if that doesn't work buy the cool new halo one...because cooldude's all about being cool :cool:

Welcome to the site btw.

thank you. i was actually a member over a year ago, but haven't had time to goof around on the internet until lately. i remember when you were just a member, casper, that's cool that you became a moderator :cheers:

is maximus still around? he was one cool cat

Shadow20002
05-04-2004, 11:45 PM
When you are not playing the Xbox, put a cover on it so the dust can't penetrate into it. If you could see my Xbox, i can tell you it's just look like a brand new one take out from a box.

SoundX
05-05-2004, 05:00 AM
My god, it is pritty much a con when you think about it, there's only one or two people here who haven't had to replace/repair their Xbox's.

Pritty Lame.

Brutus
05-05-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm gonna' get my new HALO one. Got it on Layaway right now.
I'll post what goes on with the Computer place. I wonder how much it will cost for that.

rolling stone
05-05-2004, 01:52 PM
dude i just called the customer service and they said that it would cost a little over $91 to repair it since it's out of warranty.... :watchout: now don't get me wrong, i like being taken advantage of, and i like being ripped off as much as the next guy, but today i just don't feel like paying them $91 to repair some old crappy xbox when i could buy a cool new halo xbox..ya know what i mean?

i guess i'll buy the new one then and crack open my old xbox to see if i can try to clean it up and give it to my little bro or something.

Satch
05-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Well, I guess I'm the 3rd person here to not have my Xbox fixed. I've had mine since December 2001 and have only got the occasional dirty disc error. It had frozen a few times too, but that was mostly on Morrowind, and hell, we all know the glitches in Morrowind...I play the hell outta that game. Anyway, I sure hope mine keeps working...I'd hate to lose all that data...gosh kill myself lol.

TOTTEN
05-05-2004, 10:52 PM
my box died just the other day :cry: i want to bury it but i got a better way the reason it doesnt work is because the drive doesnt work so i got a halo-box and now i am planning to buy a new cd drive and a whole bunch of mods for it

AlphaRaptor
05-05-2004, 11:22 PM
My god, it is pritty much a con when you think about it, there's only one or two people here who haven't had to replace/repair their Xbox's.

Pritty Lame.
Im one of those, never had any problems with mine. :cool:

armyof_one/ltd
05-05-2004, 11:28 PM
I´m gonna be fast, mine is also a launch box and after my bro called customer service and was told that fixing it would be $900pesos(I dunno how is the dollar but it´d be 90 or 92 bucks) we were almost going to open but we lacked the screwdrivers to open so he just bought a DVD cleaner and ran it on the box, and after ten times he cleaned the lens all the games worked, even the really screwed ones.

Oh and for this you would need the DVD kit but I guess this would help you if you had a friend with the DVD kit so would only need to buy the lens cleaner. Good luck oh and if it starts making pretty odd sounds don´t blame it on the DVD cleaner you´re XBox is actually dying you just have to ignore it and enjoy the time it works. :D

Brutus
05-06-2004, 09:01 AM
ARGH!!!! It's just the stupid drive! Everything else is working perfect! & When the drive does finally kick in it's just fine. I need to just find a drive that'll fit. Anyone know of a part's store online where I can just order a stupid drive?

rolling stone
05-06-2004, 10:59 AM
well i opened my old xbox yesterday with an allen wrench, and there was so much dust in there it made me sick. there was a clump of it around the laser which was probably the problem. i took that compressed air stuff and sprayed all over, i haven't tried it yet but i think it'll work just fine now.

kinda wish i didn't spoil myself with the new halo special edition xbox yesterday if i didn't really need it :(

SoundX
05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
ARGH!!!! It's just the stupid drive! Everything else is working perfect! & When the drive does finally kick in it's just fine. I need to just find a drive that'll fit. Anyone know of a part's store online where I can just order a stupid drive?

Check ebay.

Brutus
05-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Dude. You're right...