PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Has Even BIGGER Plans for Xbox

robnyack
01-16-2002, 07:19 AM
Microsoft plans to transform its new Xbox game console into a general home device that handles everything from e-mail to video recording, according to analysts who follow the company.

PRUDENTIAL SECURITIES analyst Hans Mosesmann released a report Tuesday, stating that HomeStation, a multifunction consumer appliance that has been the subject of rumor and speculation for several months, is real and could dramatically change the PC market.

a version of the HomeStation will be on the market by this fall.

Mosesmann said the HomeStation will be based on the Xbox design, which is similar to a PC and uses standard PC components such as an Intel Celeron processor and USB ports. Besides playing Xbox games, the HomeStation will act as a digital video recorder, similar to devices from TiVo and Sonicblue’s ReplayTV, and will perform Internet functions such as e-mail and Web surfing. The device will also play DVD movies and digital music tracks. The HomeStation would hook into Microsoft’s .Net online strategy by serving as a conduit for services such as streaming media and online shopping, he said.

Most of those functions could be handled by the current Xbox with minimal retrofitting, Mosesmann said in an interview.

HomeStation could also give Microsoft a leg up in the game market by expanding the Xbox with functionality that console market leader Sony would be hard-pressed to match in its PlayStation 2, Mosesmann said.

“I think it would be difficult for Sony to meet this kind of dynamic,” he said.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/688651.asp

:eek:

TRIGGAH
01-16-2002, 08:42 AM
I personally don't know about that. I would feel a little ripped off if Microsoft comes out with this so-called "Home Station" later this year. Know what I mean?
I would prefer that they stick to GAMES at least until they either get fully established or monopolize the market. Afterwards they can think of all the crazy add-ons that they want. For now I just want GAMES.

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 08:54 AM
I saw them announce the Freestyle at CES but it wasn't clear how the connectivity would be achieved. On the other hand, this could merely be a vaporware announcement designed to steal the thunder from the Moxi Media Center. That's typical MS behavior.

Rancey
01-16-2002, 09:36 AM
The Homestation has been rumoured for months...and I can bet it is nothing more than that...rumour.

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 11:20 AM
I still don't think it is a rumour. At least not the general idea of it. See my reply to the news on the front page. Maybe all of the specs and what it can or can't do isn't true as of now but there will be an all in one type home entertainment hub in our livingrooms made by Microsoft.

I also wouldn't feel ripped off by something like this. It sure isn't going to cost $300 and they won't want to lose money off of the hardware either so expect it to come in at at least $500 on up. If it does include the xbox in the design then still don't worry. It isn't going to be any different than what you have now. You won't be missing out, unless you want the all in one unit. It would still be the xbox specs able to play the same games.

MS wants in your living room and the xbox is only the beginning.

Snoopy7548
01-16-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by robnyack
PRUDENTIAL SECURITIES analyst Hans Mosesmann released a report Tuesday

haha, i doubt this is real. im having doubts cause of the guys name. hans mosesmann? sounds a little too much like the old guy from the simpsons named hans moleman.

xboxpebbles
01-16-2002, 06:50 PM
whatever this is,
lets just keep it a rumor..
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
lol..how crazy..
:eek:

Xboxmaster2001
01-16-2002, 07:28 PM
it's called the home station what tha tells me is some ps2 fan boy made this up....because i doubt microsoft is going to call it homstation they would call it xbox 2 and why would they brig out a system just months after they just launched one that dosn't make any sense at all either so it's prolly a hoax at least it better be i didnt stay in line for 5 hrs. just so a new system from the same company shortly after the launch of xbox.:mad:

Whisper
01-16-2002, 07:49 PM
hahaha

hans moman

its like kissing a peanut

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Xboxmaster2001
it's called the home station what tha tells me is some ps2 fan boy made this up....because i doubt microsoft is going to call it homstation they would call it xbox 2 and why would they brig out a system just months after they just launched one that dosn't make any sense at all either so it's prolly a hoax at least it better be i didnt stay in line for 5 hrs. just so a new system from the same company shortly after the launch of xbox.:mad:

The name was debated when this rumor first came up a few months ago. Most concluded that it was probably a dig at Sony. It wouldn't be called Xbox 2 because 1) it isn't an xbox and 2) nothing about the xbox part would be changed. It is just another unit capable of playing xbox games. It also definately won't cost $300 like the xbox does now. Figure on at least $500 if it does everything that the rumored specs sudgest.

This will probably be a rumor that sticks around for a long time since MS probably won't make their official announcement until it is about to be released.

Heyyoudvd
01-16-2002, 08:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that name.

BTW, since I'm a Simpsons freak, I have some trivia:

What's Hans Moleman's real name? (NOT the actor's name. the charcter's actual name is not Hans Moleman. That's his nick/what people call him)

Anyone know the answer?

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Ralph Mellish

:D

Heyyoudvd
01-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Ralph Mellish

:D

D.amn. :eek:

did you actually know that, or did you just search for it?
:)

dinko X2K
01-16-2002, 09:03 PM
:rolleyes:
doesn't seem right

LynxFX
01-17-2002, 12:28 AM
I'm a Simpson's freak as well. :D But had to look up the Mellish part. I only knew Ralph.

Anyone watch Beat the Geeks on Comedy Central? The guest was a Simpson's geek. Some of those questions were so freakin hard and he nailed them all.

addict733
01-17-2002, 07:46 PM
yo. today in the paper it said that the software part of microsoft is going to dedacate work to making the internet more secure. people are affraid of doing online banking and things like that so they are gettting scared away. so microsoft is going to be developing anti hacking and anti virus stuff i guess.........just incase u wanted to know.....by the way my bday is tomorrow. ill be getting amped. YES!