PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help guys, DOLBY Digital 5.1 ROCKS...

TRIGGAH
01-16-2002, 09:09 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me figure out how to set up my new home entertainment system.
LynxFX you were right, once you go Digital 5.1 you never want to turn back. I can't believe that 1 month ago I was LOVING Halo on a 19 inch MONO 1988 Sony Trinitron.
If anyone here has a little bit of dough I definitely recommend investing in a nice little home entertainment system to FULLY enjoy your XBOX.
Does XBOX support 6.1?

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 11:34 AM
No prob Triggah. Told you that you would love it. :)

Now if you love it now just wait until game developers actually learn how to design games with DD in mind the entire time. We should get some great surround usage in the games of the future.

The xbox can pass DD EX and DTS ES (6.1) in movies to a receiver which would then have to do the decoding. Games do not support it though, maybe in the future who knows. I have been playing with a faux way of doing it. I set my receiver to 6D surround sound so it does 5.1 like normal then it takes the two back surround channels and creates a seperate feed for my center rear channel. It works great and adds just a bit more aggresive response to those back speakers.

soul_fire11
01-17-2002, 04:46 PM
how do you connect a xbox to surround sounf speakers.

LynxFX
01-17-2002, 06:20 PM
If you have a receiver with a DD 5.1 setup and your receiver has an optical in, then you can purchase the Advanced AV pack or HD AV pack which both have an optical out. Connect the optical cable to the receiver, choose Dolby Surround in the dashboard settings on the xbox and you are in business.

soul_fire11
01-17-2002, 06:35 PM
yes I do have have dd 5.1 receiver and yes I will soon get my HD Avanced pack but do I need any specific wires or does it include in the HD advance pack and how much for the wires If it is not include. ps what's a optical in. what is it for?
thx
Kenneth
Soul_FiRe

LynxFX
01-17-2002, 07:53 PM
The optical (toslink) cable is the only other item you will need to buy. This is what carries the audio from the xbox to your receiver.

It looks like this:
http://www.tradertrax.com/shin_pic/cab1_10.jpg

The optical in on your receiver is what you would connect this cable to. The HD pack has an optical out.

Check the back of your reciever and look for the optical connector sometimes labeled 'digital'. They are also usually covered or plugged with a little square plastic piece.

Hugh_Jass
01-18-2002, 08:03 AM
You can expect to pay $20-$25 for a regular optical cable or about $40 for a Monster optical cable. Either one will work.

If your receiver only has a coaxial input available then the Advanced AV Pack won't do you any good unless you get an optical to coaxial converter. I'd almost think about getting a new receiver if it came down to that.

If your receiver has neither optical or coaxial then it is probably just a Dolby Pro Logic unit, in which case you must use the RCA stereo jacks.

soul_fire11
01-19-2002, 07:47 PM
Then reciever is a harmom kardon avr 300 which has both optical and coxial then which cables can I get and how do I set it up with the hd advance pack???
please help (I would like to set up my xbox to surround sound as soon as possible)
thx
Soul_FiRe:P

soul_fire11
01-19-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by soul_fire11
The reciever is a harmom kardon avr 300 which has both optical and coxial then which cables can I get and how do I set it up with the hd advance pack???
please help (I would like to set up my xbox to surround sound as soon as possible)
thx
Soul_FiRe:P

BiohazardEHW
01-19-2002, 07:50 PM
My uncle has that Dolby Digital surround sound 5.1 whatever, a 60 inch TV, DVD player, the works...but he dosent have 538 channels like I do :) I could use a 60 inch TV tho...

soul_fire11
01-19-2002, 08:18 PM
The reciever is a harmom kardon avr 300 which has both optical and coxial then which cables can I get and how do I set it up with the hd advance pack???
thx
Soul_FiRe:P help really help

StUmPy01
01-19-2002, 08:45 PM
i use my jvc 350 watt stereo with 2 6 1/2 subs with a built in amp, so im set to go and with a small room like mine with curved ceilings the acoustics are friggin awsome

AlBoogy
01-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Man im having trouble deciding wether laughing at your sig is wrong or not.