PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Online?

TRIGGAH
01-16-2002, 09:14 AM
Ok so MicroSoft says that the XBOX is going online.
I haven't found too many details except that I heard that they are working just as hard on XBOX online as they were to develop the XBOX.
So when the XBOX is online, can I call up a friend and play him ONLINE? Like will it just be a network of anonymous users or can I actually battle all my friends?
Another thing, I know that I have a High Speed modem, it's not cable but it is as the highest speed that my telephone company offers, does that mean I will be broadband ready?
THANKS...
PEACE

XBOX Dude
01-16-2002, 09:29 AM
yes you could probably call him up and you may have a high speen modem but it needs broad band or a high speed support cause it has broad band built into it so i don't think you could play with a 56k even if it is really fast

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 11:41 AM
If you are talking about DSL as a high speed modem then you do have broadband.

It's got to be digital. If you have an analog modem you're out of luck.

robnyack
01-16-2002, 11:53 AM
interesting article I read yeasterday says that the new buzzword in Washington DC is "broadband". Politicians have become interested in getting broadband expanded much faster into more people's homes.

The quicker everyone catches up with us current broadbanders, the sooner the full capability of broadband will be realized!!

noodleboy
01-16-2002, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know if setup of how we will have to log on to the network going to be similar to the way everyone is getting online now through the GameSpy software????

Will we have to go through our computers to get to the network? or will there be some other way ( ie...load the software on the Xbox and just link up from your system to the network, bypassing your computer) ??

Anyone know or have suggestions?

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 01:07 PM
We will not need our computers to logon to the microsoft online gaming. It will all be based in the xbox. Now how it all works we have yet to find out. :)

manboy
01-16-2002, 01:15 PM
Is there gonna be a monthly fee? I've been looking for an answer to that, have come up with nothing.

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
We will not need our computers to logon to the microsoft online gaming. It will all be based in the xbox. Now how it all works we have yet to find out. :)

I would imagine that we may have to download software to the hard-drive...or, get updated or certain games that will carry the software on the actual game disc...like Halo 1.5 for example. I guess we'll see :)

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by manboy
Is there gonna be a monthly fee? I've been looking for an answer to that, have come up with nothing.

Yeah, that peaks my curiosity as well....I hope not...but, if there is, I will end up doing it! Right now, it's just rumor...things will start to unfold as the time approaches...Man, doesn't this feel like November 15th all over again?!? lol

noodleboy
01-16-2002, 02:05 PM
According to the OXM :

"Xbox Online could be structured like DirecTV, where suscribers get basic services for a flat fee (the fee structure hasn't been announced, but we're guessing it will be somewhere between $10 and $15 dollars a month), and they can add additionall packages for a fee. For example, EA Sports might run a sports channel and Microsoft could do revenue sharing with EA for the profit generated by that channel"

Of course this is just a guess, but I tend to believe it'll be pretty close to this. Hopefully they'll do an introductory couple months for free as a tryout type deal.

wizkid918
01-16-2002, 03:07 PM
i think it should be free, i love my box but when microsoft does everything at an additional cost, it starts to **** me off, i mean DVD didnt come with it, better cables dont come with it, now we have to pay to play online games that was SUPPOSED to come with it (maybe pay) i say go ahead and make it a 50 software title that gets loaded on, then once you have that... i am already dishing out 50$ a month to my ISP for broadband (expensive cuz they are only ones around) i dont want 60$, my income is scarce... anyway, thats my 2 cents

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by wizkid918
i think it should be free, i love my box but when microsoft does everything at an additional cost, it starts to **** me off, i mean DVD didnt come with it, better cables dont come with it, now we have to pay to play online games that was SUPPOSED to come with it (maybe pay) i say go ahead and make it a 50 software title that gets loaded on, then once you have that... i am already dishing out 50$ a month to my ISP for broadband (expensive cuz they are only ones around) i dont want 60$, my income is scarce... anyway, thats my 2 cents

Amen :cool:

skoot182
01-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by wizkid918

2 cents??? but i thought you couldnt afford anything more ??? ;)

Xboxmaster2001
01-16-2002, 03:26 PM
if there is a monthly fee then what it should be is a life time fee thing like 1 time and your done maybe 20-30 bucks and no more paying that would be fine with me i just dont want to pay 10 bucks a month that would suck.

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 03:31 PM
I agree with Xboxmaster2001...because, personally, I don't think I will play on-line all that often. I will, undoubtably, play on-line...but, I don't think that there should be a fee unless the XBox is intended to play 100% on-line. I will probably only play 10% of the time on-line...maybe a little more...but, not by much. A flat fee sounds like it would make the most sense to me...or just make it free like Gamespy....XBox can throw up as many advertisements they want if it's free...Personally, I wouldn't care :)

BiohazardEHW
01-16-2002, 03:35 PM
The only games that I find worth playing online are my fav game types...FPS games. Unreal Championship suports 32 players at once in one game, with land and air vehicles, awesome weapons, and ubsurdly enormous multiplayer levels...now THAT would be something to see.

I know and every other FPS gamer knows that Half-Life for the PC is probably the biggest FPS game ever made, and i'd like to play it, but FPS games on a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse would be alot better.

I'd love to see Red Faction come to Xbox...imagine 16 or so players blowing the walls down and infiltrating the opponent's base...****, i'd love to see that.

wizkid918
01-16-2002, 05:12 PM
yeah, one flat rate wouldnt be bad either, i just want to play without pay, not pay to play

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 09:41 PM
If it is free I might use online occasionally. If it isn't free I'll never use it.

LynxFX
01-17-2002, 12:35 AM
I think that if MS wants to have online gaming that competes on the same level as the PC for online gaming then they will have to make it free, or like others said, a one time fee. (to cover developement costs)

If they do have a fee then it better be low and it better include EVERY game that supports online gaming. Not this pay by game crap I keep hearing.

robnyack
01-17-2002, 09:00 AM
of course there will be a monthly fee. They are hoping they can put together an income generating online gaming structure (which btw, is not easy....ask EA.com).

Think of it like cable TV or satellite TV. you will have a basic subsription plan that gives you a bunch of stuff for a monthly fee (say $10) and then there will also be some premium subscriptions plans that will give you the basic stuff plus more.

Maybe....maybe there will be a VERY basic free plan that gives you access to a couple game in hopes that it will tease you into joining a pay plan to get more and cooler games. But, as EA.com found out, people only logged in for the free stuff and did not sign up for the pay plans. So, I dunno.

I dont have much interest in this kindof stuff. But, I am very intersted in knowing if EA will add interent play (ip to ip play, and a EA Madden server for people with the game to log into) to there xbox Madden football games, like they do on the pc version. THAT, is what I want!

Hugh_Jass
01-17-2002, 11:27 AM
I bet there will be a free trial at the very least.