PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Owens to be on the cover for ESPN NFL 2005

OuFtb
05-05-2004, 09:42 PM
ESPN Videogames has announced that it has signed Terrell Owens to be the cover athlete for ESPN NFL 2005. Since being drafted in 1996 by the San Francisco 49ers, the wide receiver has averaged over 1,000 receiving yards since the 2000 season. He also holds the record for most receptions in a single game, and he has appeared in the Pro Bowl four years in a row.

Owens, who has just signed with the Philadelphia Eagles, also has a knack for grabbing the spotlight both on and off the field. His fiery attitude is part of the reason ESPN signed the at-times controversial athlete on. "Whether setting the NFL record for most receptions in a game, delivering a ferocious block on rushing plays, or pumping up his teammates and the crowd, Owens embodies the spirit of the NFL, making him a perfect fit for our cover," said Greg Thomas, president of Visual Concepts, the makers of ESPN Videogames.

Not known for his reticence in public, Owens expressed his excitement about being on the cover. "I'm always looking for new and different ways of integrating football into my life," stated Owens. "It's only natural that I'm a part of ESPN NFL 2005. I'm one of the best on the real field, and ESPN NFL 2005 is the best on the virtual field. It's a perfect match and I'm excited to be a part of the ESPN NFL 2005 team."

It's not known whether the digital Owens in ESPN NFL 2005 will shake pom-poms after scores, pull a Sharpie from his sock to sign game balls, or demand a trade. However, ESPN did reconfirm the game will ship for the Xbox and PlayStation 2 platforms later this fall.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/05/news_6095453.html

This really doen't matter to me, I buy the game for the game, not the guy on the cover, but to some people this is news so i posted it.

JuniorBrady
05-06-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm hoping he's on the cover of Madden too. B/c that means he will inevitably get hurt. Sorry for the negative thoughts, but I can't stand this guy.

Stagliano
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
He is a bit of a disrespectful mouthpiece but has he done any real harm to anyone or why is there such hatred for him?

I imagine 49ers, Ravens, Seahawks and Cowboys fans probably don't include him on their Christmas card lists, for his various antics, but what genuine harm has he caused anyone to merit such loathing and desire for him to get physically damaged?

JuniorBrady
05-06-2004, 02:52 PM
That is true, I shouldn't have wished any damage on him, but I do wish he has a bad season, just b/c I'm not a fan of his, or the Eagles.

Stagliano
05-06-2004, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't be so kind to all the players currently being caught driving around whilst drunk. It seems they lose control once they haven't got a team of coaching staff to hold their hands and lead them around.

You wonder what age these people are. I guess they get made to think they're above the law by the people around them and I'm sure they do get off with the odd misdemeanor from time to time too. It ridiculous the way some sportsmen act during their off-season.

ScorpionX
05-06-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm hoping he's on the cover of Madden too. B/c that means he will inevitably get hurt. Sorry for the negative thoughts, but I can't stand this guy.

I'm pretty sure Ray Lewis is gonna be on the next Madden.

Professor Kaos
05-06-2004, 03:52 PM
WOOHOO! GO T.O........maybe for buying the game you'll get a complimentary sharpie. :D

Bakeman
05-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Yeah this was posted on the front page of XBA.

I think they could find a better player to put on there. T.O. is a fairly decent guy (maybe even a good guy) off the field. He just isn't the kind of player I want promoting the sport or video game.

Stagliano
05-07-2004, 05:38 AM
There might be problems with mail ordering the game. You might agree to buy it only to have the game itself decide it would rather go to Donovan McNabb's house at the last moment.

BORNGD
05-07-2004, 09:52 AM
yea, Ray Lewis is on the madden cover

JuniorBrady
05-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Oh, Ray Ray, your soon will sadly be cut short.

Slowride
05-07-2004, 09:59 AM
He is a bit of a disrespectful mouthpiece but has he done any real harm to anyone or why is there such hatred for him?

I imagine 49ers, Ravens, Seahawks and Cowboys fans probably don't include him on their Christmas card lists, for his various antics, but what genuine harm has he caused anyone to merit such loathing and desire for him to get physically damaged?

His actions toward Dallas (Posing on the star on the 50 yd line and extending his arms to the sky) were completely unprovoked and unacceptable. I'm glad teague (teague right?) knocked him on his ass the second time he did it. TWICE in ONE game he did it. I can't believe no one on the sideline told him anything about it after the first time. You would think a respectable head coach would be outraged by it. Or maybe they did tell him something and he just didn't care. That sounds like him.

He's just a flat out as*hole. His attitude, many people believe, is a big problem in pro sports these days. People don't like arrogant as*holes. This is why some people want him hurt. And if he suffered a career ending injury....I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

GreenWeenie
05-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Being an Eagles fan I have some mixed feelings....Firstly, T.O. is an arrogant, self-serving, showboating, well, prick. But you have to look at his stats....numbers don't lie. By stats alone he is a better receiver than just about our entire receiving corps from the '03 season. we NEED the play making ability that he can bring to the table...maybe we NEED a little attitude (Im sorry, but its obvious that the cum-bye-yah attitude can only get you the lovely 0-3 we are sitting at). I do hope the first time he even TOUCHES a sharpie Reeves benches his ass quicker than anything. Thats what T.O. lacked in SF. A couch that would punish him for actin a fool. He sits out a few games he might start thinkin about it....

Slowride
05-07-2004, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't bet on it greenweenie. If he gets benched for a few games he's still gonna get paid. He would probably go to the media, insult his coach and teammates, create a circus atmosphere around the eagles and in their locker room, be a huge distraction to the team and then demand a trade.

AlBoogy
05-07-2004, 11:21 AM
I think those of you who dont like this guy have to realize they play a sport to entertain you. Grabbing pom poms, pulling out a sharpie and running to the star is his way of entertaining (other then playing football obviously). The more people frown upon his antics, the more likely the NFL is going to outlaw celebrations completely.

CRAYMAN
05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Well, Joe Horn also did the same thing, only worse in my opinion, when he hid his cell phone in the goal post and made a personal call!!??!

At least TO is catering to the fans.

Nobody ever mentions Horn's antics.

And Warren Sapp is just as bad, taunting the players by running through the opponents warmup.

TO gets a lot of attention because he is an excellent wide receiver.
However, like most people I wish he would stop the nonsense and let his actions on the playing field speak for themselves. You know, like Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith.

I mean, Ray Lewis, at best aided and abetted a murderer and at worse contributed or commited murder. And he's on the cover of EA!!!?!? He's already the spokesman for the TV ads.

C'mon EA, where's your self-respect.

GreenWeenie
05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I mean, Ray Lewis, at best aided and abetted a murderer and at worse contributed or commited murder. And he's on the cover of EA!!!?!? He's already the spokesman for the TV ads.

C'mon EA, where's your self-respect.

TRUE....very very true!!!