PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Recon 2

locust
05-07-2004, 10:31 AM
;) Well guys and gals, you can preview screenshots of GR 2 at www.ghostrecon2.co.uk They are scanned images from the May issue of XBOX Magazine (UK) and are poor quality but you can read the article. I looked closely at all of the pictures and saw some things I liked and some I don't like: if you are a hardcore GR fan like me, then you may not like the way the soldiers look - they look like the Rainbow 6 soldiers more than the old GR soldiers. I tried to make the jump over to Rainbow from GR but I didn't like the way soldiers move, the reticule, the movements were too fluid and hard to aim and in online Multiplayer mode your opponent looks like a cartoon duck waddling around. There was a bullet lag, you could empty an entire clip point blank and miss! Only head shots and grenades would count. Anyway, I haven't played GR 2 so I don't know about the controls. In one picture you see a soldier reloading and he's wearing white gloves! Did he just come from a formal dinner party? The pictures of GR 2 soldiers kneeling and shooting - look at their bodies and form!!! Very Rainbowish.
This is why UbiSoft should have released video and screenshots before E3 and scanned pics from magazines. Calling in airstrikes from fighter/bombers and helicopter gunships sounds cool though! I'm both excited and a little worried from looking at those screenshots but my online buddies (an elite squad of nerds) tell me it'll be fine - "breathe into this paper bag, breathe in slowly......... and exhale... that's good......." - Locust
If you have any links to better screenshots, please post them here!

Duke
05-07-2004, 10:34 AM
I've got my reservations about this one too, but Ubi hasn't done me wrong yet, so this is still definitely on my buy list.

Unreal
05-07-2004, 11:51 AM
All I am going to say is that its hard to make judgements on screens that are poor quality and with that said. With me being a fan of the Ghost Recon games, I am sure Ubi Soft knows what they are doing. All of there games have at least a 9 or higher in the OXM (Tom Clancy Named Games). I am at the point now with Ubi Soft, that I do not need to play there games first before I decide weather I am going to buy them or not.

Prince Of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, Rainbow Six 3, Spliner Cell, and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Duke
05-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Exactly, the only "disappointment" I've had was w/ IT. Still a great game, just hosting and some other problems made me unhappy. Still own it, and still play it when anyone wants to though.

Unreal
05-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Exactly, the only "disappointment" I've had was w/ IT. Still a great game, just hosting and some other problems made me unhappy. Still own it, and still play it when anyone wants to though.
I guess since I am not on LIVE I dont see those problems. Either case, Ghost Recon 2 should be amazing once its released :cheers:

GreenWeenie
05-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Well, the "white gloves" are actually a very light olive drab. They are flight gloves used by chopper pilots. A lot of soldiers use them as they have a very tactile surface on the underneath. And you are supposed to always wear your work gloves when in the field. Granted, it IS in the manual, no one ever wears them and a lot of 11B troopers I know use the flight gloves. They breath WAY better than leather (they are nylon) and you get a terrific grip. Think batting gloves here...only problem is they fade from the sodium in your sweat..hence the white looking gloves. They got this right.

I for one LOVE the new look. "A soldier follows the manual until the first shot is fired" most deffanitely applies here. Granted the GR1 troopers LOOKED the way they were supposed to, but thet really is not realistic. Just look at the pics of the Fallujah fighting goin on now. You have a marine firing a 60....no helmet, no LBE (the harness you wear..Load Bearing Equiptment), no Fatigue top. Just a standard issue t-shirt and kevlar. THAT is realistic. As long as a trooper is doin his job most CO's couldn't give a rats butt what they look like. If I am strapped down with gear that can get me killed because it is either in the way, or wears me out b/c too much crap/ heat reasons...Im loosin it. This is actually taught in both PLDC and BNOC (Primary Leadership Development Course and Basic Non-commisioned Officers Course). First and foremost you must have a soldier that is ready and capable of carrying the fight.

I will be disapointed if they have winter maps and they do not change the character models to reflect this.

CRAYMAN
05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Well, the "white gloves" are actually a very light olive drab. They are flight gloves used by chopper pilots. A lot of soldiers use them as they have a very tactile surface on the underneath. And you are supposed to always wear your work gloves when in the field. Granted, it IS in the manual, no one ever wears them and a lot of 11B troopers I know use the flight gloves. They breath WAY better than leather (they are nylon) and you get a terrific grip. Think batting gloves here...only problem is they fade from the sodium in your sweat..hence the white looking gloves. They got this right.

(Good Grief!)
Your honor, the defense rests!

GreenWeenie
05-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Well.....I DO have 3 or 4 sets still around the house....

locust
05-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Light olive drab? Ya, pilots land...... fight a little bit... "you guys ok down here?"....."oh, there's one over there! Laying down cover fire!"......"ok, looks like you guys have got it covered and I'm getting my 'light olive drab' gloves dirty. Can I get a ride back to my chopper anyone? I think I can help you guys out more from the air......."
Thanks for all the info. Weenie.
You can send me a friend invite to play GR if you want: IB0GANAUT (with a zero instead of an 'o')
- Locust

ghost 009
05-08-2004, 11:54 AM
I don't know if I will like it cause ghost recon is like the old rainbow games except there is no auto aim. I know rouge spear had 3rd person and first person but I want the first person in there.

BananaMan
05-08-2004, 11:58 AM
BUtterz first person is in there, the 3rd person is an optional view. I think this game is going to be awesome.

Reclaimer
05-08-2004, 07:18 PM
I just did an interview for GR2. I can't wait to see what Ubi has to say about their new game.

I like using flight gloves. I have two sets of black nylon gloves for tactical reasons.
We as in our unit are not required to use them, but we do for safety reasons. Plus, they're treated with Nomex so they are fire resistant. They have a really good bit of tactile feel to them, so you can do fine movements like reloading in the dark, or search someone without loosing sensativity. I was apprehensive at first, especially with the fact of shooting with gloves on. But I was impressed with the feel. No hinderance whatsoever.