PDA

View Full Version : All your texture maps are belong to us!

DOOM
01-16-2002, 12:25 PM
SGI transfers 3D graphics patents to MS!!!

Exclusive Silicon Graphics Inc has transferred much of its 3D graphics patents portfolio to Microsoft.

Check It Out:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/23708.html

AwEsOmE!!!
This Takes The Term "ONLY ON XBOX" To A Whole New Level!!!

DOOM
01-16-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by DOOM
SGI transfers 3D graphics patents to MS!!!

Exclusive Silicon Graphics Inc has transferred much of its 3D graphics patents portfolio to Microsoft.

Check It Out:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/23708.html

AwEsOmE!!!
This Takes The Term "ONLY ON XBOX" To A Whole New Level!!!
This Means that M$ NOW Owns the rights to Certain Textures...
Textures that are widely used In Games...
If any one other Than M$ wants to use them ( Say SONY Or NINTENDO), M$ can DENIE (Yes) Or offer license to whoever needs to use it (For A Price, Though Doubtful)!
M$ Got Em By The B@LLZ!!

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 01:11 PM
Deez nutz! Nice, dude! Like I have always thought from the beginning....Microsoft is in this for the long haul :D They don't do anything half-assed, that's for sure!

So, sowwy Sony and wittle Nintendwo.... :) :) :)

rune holm
01-16-2002, 01:35 PM
You guys are talking as this were a good thing?? As consumers its in our interest that sony, ms and nintendo do well.

Snoopy7548
01-16-2002, 05:25 PM
fu**in A man!

DOOM
01-16-2002, 08:25 PM
Hey, As Long As Your The One With The XBOX, It's Great!:D

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by DOOM

This Means that M$ NOW Owns the rights to Certain Textures...
Textures that are widely used In Games...

What are you talking about? MS won intellectual property regarding contested chip technology used in the NVIDIA GPU. The article didn't mention proprietary textures at all.

Heyyoudvd
01-16-2002, 10:08 PM
can you say monopoly? :rolleyes:

Anyone who doesn't think Microsoft is monopolizing should open their eyes up and stop kissing M$'s ass.

ALC
01-16-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd

Anyone who doesn't think Microsoft is monopolizing should open their eyes up and stop kissing M$'s ass.

uh.. so? :p

Snoopy7548
01-17-2002, 05:21 PM

yea, but think about it, if you were head of a big corporation with lots of money, would you rather have a monopoly or just 1 company? i would rather have a monopoly, id get more money:D

l Maximus l
01-17-2002, 05:25 PM

My lips are puckered ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

LynxFX
01-17-2002, 08:01 PM
http://www.icq.com/friendship/animations/kiss.gif

rune holm
01-18-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

yea, but think about it, if you were head of a big corporation with lots of money, would you rather have a monopoly or just 1 company? i would rather have a monopoly, id get more money:D

Me too! But what if YOU were a consumer? Btw; if there were no sony and nintendo, do you still think ms would sell the xbox as cheap as they do?

l Maximus l
01-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
http://www.icq.com/friendship/animations/kiss.gif

LOLOLOLOL

LynxFX
01-18-2002, 02:50 PM
I'll kiss their ass as long as they keep putting out a good product at a fair price. The xbox is a great example of this. I don't want Nintendo or Sony to go away either. I've always been one to say that I think 3 consoles can survive in today's market.

But back on topic. Didn't nVidia score a lot of SGI patents and engineers as well a year ago or so? I seem to recall that back in the Geforce 1 days. I think this was around the same time that Pixar slammed nVidia for stating that they should be able to create realtime Toy Story 1 level graphics in the next coming years. Pixar said that they wouldn't be able to do that in at least 10 years. I think Pixar (whom I love and continue to admire) will be eating their words very soon especially since nVidia has already shown that they could render in realtime scenes from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie.