PDA

View Full Version : best xbox experience (MUST READ!!!!!)

Spaztic
01-16-2002, 01:34 PM
I recently came across this website and thought I would give it a try.....It basically guides you throught making a projector out of a monitor or small tv....I gave it a try and all I can say is HOLY $h!+! I have a 6 foot screen on my wall that I am playing my Xbox on!!! It cost me about $10 to make one!!! Decient projectors cost quite a pretty penny ($1500-$5000). I just followed the directions and walla! I decided to use a monitor because they have a better dot pitch (makes the image alot better!). The better the monitor the better the picture. If you are going to use a tv make sure you can adjust the picture setting via remote otherwise you will have to pull the thing apart a few times until you get it just right!!! For $10 I couldn't be happier...the graphics on the game still look great and watching movies are awsome on a screen the size of yur wall. You will probably need to buy a connector to be able to hookup a monitor , but radioshack has them really cheep!!!..I am very pleased and it only took me an hour! I would advise anyone with enough wall space and a little time to give it a try....you can purchase the frensal lense from any office supply store for about ~$4.

Take a look at this and let me know what you think?!!!!
Don't forget to donate a little $ if you use this plan because this is how this guy funds this site, and keeps him from having to charge a fee. Normally this info costs ~$15.
ENJOY...I KNOW I AM!!!!!
http://www.bstvcentral.b0x.com/

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I have heard of this stuff, too.... But, the room has to be completely dark and stuff. I first heard of this at www.100inchTV.com ...take a look.

My friend ended up getting it...and it only costs him $10...he almost had it perfected...but, the thing is, you have to have enough space and it looks kind of tacky while it's set up. But, yes, it does work, though :)

JJaX
01-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Thats odd. How did you get your xbox to play on a monitor? I thought the VGA adapater wasnt out yet?

wizkid918
01-16-2002, 02:49 PM
it isnt, the vga adapter comes out the 22nd and im waiting patiently..

Brian
01-16-2002, 03:04 PM
But.. but.. how?! :eek:

Spaztic
01-16-2002, 04:22 PM
you need to get a tv card, or an adaptor from radioshack, it makes you monitor act just like a tv (concept wise) it plugs onto you monitor and gives you an adaptor you can use to plug into the reciever....ask the radioshack sales man, he should know what you are talking about!....just hook it up like a tv, and run the xbox though a reciever!!! 6ft of ass wooping on!!! Just because M$ hasn't release the vga adaptor dosn't meant that nothing will work....in fact it will probably be cheeper to go this route!

Spaztic
01-16-2002, 04:27 PM
check out your local gadget\computer store they should have one....if you don' believe me buy me a digital camera, ship it to me, and I will take a picture of my setup :D

wizkid918
01-16-2002, 05:24 PM
might have to loonk into that, but i saw on the one that is on liksang.com has input and outputs for soundcard and speakers, now a SB Audigy with DD5.1, that wuold be cool. *drools*

wizkid918
01-16-2002, 05:24 PM
*wipes up drool previously...drooled?*

DBXNY
01-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
you need to get a tv card, or an adaptor from radioshack, it makes you monitor act just like a tv (concept wise) it plugs onto you monitor and gives you an adaptor you can use to plug into the reciever....ask the radioshack sales man, he should know what you are talking about!....just hook it up like a tv, and run the xbox though a reciever!!! 6ft of ass wooping on!!! Just because M$ hasn't release the vga adaptor dosn't meant that nothing will work....in fact it will probably be cheeper to go this route!

You mean a cheap scan converter:)

DBXNY
01-16-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls

Take a look at this and let me know what you think?!!!!
Don't forget to donate a little $ if you use this plan because this is how this guy funds this site, and keeps him from having to charge a fee. Normally this info costs ~$15.
ENJOY...I KNOW I AM!!!!!
http://www.bstvcentral.b0x.com/

LMAO!!!!!.....Now why should we pay this guy $15 for just telling us to magnify our TV or monitor pictures on our wall?

wizkid918
01-16-2002, 06:06 PM
i was thinking you meant just a TV adapter from your monitor, i did it with my TV tuner and it sucked, a lot, ill wait for the real adapter

LynxFX
01-16-2002, 06:25 PM
I built one of these before I got a real projector. I still have it in my closet. It is actually pretty funny. I used a 19" tv flipped upside down. The whole contraption was huge and it did work, to an extent. To keep the size of the picture in reason I had to have the whole contraption fairly close to the wall and because of this I couldn't see past the it.

I did watch most of Jurassic Park with it one night though. :D

Xbox Flame
01-16-2002, 09:20 PM
Is the picture bright Enough? Does the room have to be totaly dark? How big of a TV did you use? I just want to know because I'm thinking of making one myself and I want it to work good.

Rochey69r
01-17-2002, 08:28 AM
i am thinking of trying it. with my dodgy 30cm t.v.

hope it works!

GokuX
01-17-2002, 08:35 AM
The only thing that'll be annoying will be turning my TV upside down, unless I were to buy another lens but then I'd have to go through more construction crud. OH well this is an intersting little project though, thanks for posting this bryanhls. I've always wondered if such a thing was possible so now I'm gonna give it go and see what happens.

Spaztic
01-17-2002, 09:27 AM
If you sit your screen facing the ceiling and then get a mirror and set on the wall angled you can get it to project correctly! It requires a little time to play with it but it was well worth my time....just remember that you have to have every crack that light can escape thought on the box sealed. If not you will get a dark image! Also make sure you paint the inside of the box a flat black! I really enjoyed making this thing....hopefully you guys can get it to work....honestly, a little creativity, and thought and you shouldn't have a problem!

and to anwser a previous question....yes the room needs to be dark!

Oh Yeah! If anyone runs into a problem there is a forum on the site!!!

*nothing makes me grin more than putting a cap in someones ass on a 6ft screen*

Hugh_Jass
01-17-2002, 11:37 AM
If the screen shot on their web site is typical then I think this is a great method to make your XBOX look like a PS1. It's so painfully grainy, not to mention dark. If that is acceptable to you I don't have a problem with it. I just don't want people to build this thing expecting miracles. Even the worst refurbished big screen television will give you better results. They say it costs $60 in parts. I would put that money toward a new TV and spare the disappointment.

robnyack
01-17-2002, 12:22 PM
I'm more than happy with my 46" digital TV screen :p

and it only cost me $3,000 :eek:

GokuX
01-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Well I've got a 27" Trinitron which rules for gaming BTW, but I just wanna try this out just for the fun of it to see what its like, I've got a 19" I'm gonna use with it.

Spaztic
01-17-2002, 03:15 PM
did you see the tv they made their projector out of...it is a piece....and have you ever tried to take a quality picture in the dark? they usually don't turn out to good! Like I said you can't expect a hdtv quality picture. I for one cannot afford a hdtv so I am making due with what I got!....I used a monitor and it dosn't look anything like the picture on the site.....Hey I was just providing info....Do with it as you will...I thought is was a fun project and I enjoy watching stuff on it!

Spaztic
01-17-2002, 03:45 PM
here is a link to get the lenses you need and more pictures of the final product....also some more responses to people who have one!

http://cgi.ebay.aol.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1319453447