PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need Square?

XBA Staff
01-16-2002, 03:31 PM
Well ever since the Xbox was announced at the 2001 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) last year, this big question was Will SquareSoft Develope for Xbox?. Really I don't mind having them develope for Xbox, but with games like Shenmue 2 (And maybe Shenmue 3), Project Ego and Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to the Xbox and only coming to Xbox...my question is do we really need Square...or if we did have Square would we have to depend on them like PS2 does?

Honestly, just like I said above, I won't mind having them but I know Xbox will do good without them.:cool:

But what about you guys? Do we really need Square?

Xboxmaster2001
01-16-2002, 03:33 PM
why not they make good games and FF 11 is an online thing which sounds cool i always likes the FF series and Dragonwarrior series even thouh ill be playing PSO 24/7

XBA Staff
01-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Well I worded the topic wrong...what I really meant was Do we really need to Depend on them if we had them?.

Xboxmaster2001
01-16-2002, 03:39 PM
no its not like they are a necessity for xbox but like i said its always good to have more good games but if they dont come to xbox then thats there loss because we have lots of games coming that square cant even produce.

l Maximus l
01-16-2002, 03:40 PM
I say, why not? But, do we really need them? I would say no. The main reason is that there will be additional amazing games that have not ever been discussed or even created at this point coming to the XBox.

I mean, Final Fantasy is cool, but, it will be blown out of the water and something new will, undoubtly, make Final Fantasy old news. It's happened 100 times with other games...why not Final Fantasy?

Personally, all I ask for from Microsoft and the XBox is to continue to make amazing exclusive titles that utilize the power of the XBox. In addition, to create more games that utilize the System Link since this is a new and innovative addition to console gaming.

BiohazardEHW
01-16-2002, 03:42 PM
It does not matter, the FF series will never amount to anything new, FF10 is just like 9, which was just like 8, and 8 was like 7, etc. Gets quite boring after a short while...plus a majority of gamers do not like the FF games, I sure dont.

Rancey
01-16-2002, 03:42 PM
I don't think the Xbox needs Square to stay afloat by any means, nor would they if they were a confirmed developer. But I want any and all top notch developers to support the Xbox, and would personally love to see them climb aboard. That's taking nothing away from other RPGs scheduled for the Xbox like Project Ego which I think will revolutionize the genre.

maneatingcow
01-16-2002, 03:49 PM
XBox does not need Square to keep afloat (PS1 Did...) But, if they wanted to come aboard, I can't say I would not like it :D

You can try and say that FFX does not look amazing, but admit it, it does, and I think the XBox could make it look even better.

sinizuh
01-16-2002, 04:09 PM
we don't (north america), they do (japan)

Supperdog
01-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Tyrell-XBA
Well ever since the Xbox was announced at the 2001 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) last year, this big question was Will SquareSoft Develope for Xbox?. Really I don't mind having them develope for Xbox, but with games like Shenmue 2 (And maybe Shenmue 3), Project Ego and Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to the Xbox and only coming to Xbox...my question is do we really need Square...or if we did have Square would we have to depend on them like PS2 does?

Honestly, just like I said above, I won't mind having them but I know Xbox will do good without them.:cool:

But what about you guys? Do we really need Square?

Yes. After all, more is better!

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 09:36 PM
All I ever seen advertised is FMV. Who care what the cut scenes look like? I want to know how the game looks and plays.

The only reason I want FF on the XBOX is to give PS2 fanboys one less thing to crow about.

Supperdog
01-17-2002, 06:36 PM
I know! A bunch of PoS2 fanboys in my school keep bashing xbox and raving over FFV...they actually think that all that fmv crap in the commercial is ingame...then i show them halo and they say its an fmv...dumbasses...

XBOX Dude
01-17-2002, 07:38 PM
you what i think, i think that while ff10 is a great game i think the ps2 people over hype to make us jealous of it so we don't notice how great the games that we have really are and if you ask me it's only a matter of time before ff seris is topped by something else casue nothin lasts forever

manchufu
01-17-2002, 09:05 PM
I have always loved squaresoft games, from ff1, to mario rpg, to ffx ( i don't have a ps2 or the game, but my friends do) and this one developer was one of my biggest delema's with choseing xbox or ps2, xbox won, because i saw so many developers working on it, but i will always miss square deeply, and hope they come to xbox, i would like ff11 on it, but even more so, x, that game is tight

Ninja Scroll
01-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Do we need them? No. Could we use their support? D@mn right!

Anything with Square Softs name on it will sell millions, period.
I gotta disagree with max on FF getting old, cause this is one of the few series that will never go stale. Square is the main (in my opinion) reason Sony's systems have been so successful.
If Sony never had Square they would just be any under average console!

Microsoft doesnt need them in the US to survive, but in Japan they need either Enix or Square to convice the Japanese market that the Xbox is for real! If they dont get one or the other im not sure about them supporting this system. The main reason is it's made by a US company and Japanese are so d@mn scared to try anything else other than what they all ready know.
So ending this, Xbox will rule da f'n US in due time.
Japan, im not sure with out the big wig developers in Japan.

JJaX
01-18-2002, 09:03 AM
I agree with Ninja scroll. Ive only played and beaten FF1, FF2, FF3 and FF7 and tactics. Every FF is actually quite different and every story is amazing and unique. The things thay they do keep intact through out the series are the real cool things. Like the summons and knowing who you can summon. Its great to bust out a summon and be like whooaaa i remember bahamut he looks cool as s4it now. But the FF series isnt the only games square has blessed us with. Crono trigger anyone?

Ninja Scroll
01-18-2002, 09:10 AM
thanks Jjax! If anything, Ninja knows RPG's!:cool:

And your right, da summons do kick ass, on everyone of the games!:eek:
I beat FF7 on a friends PSOne back in da day. I own FF8 & FF9 in hopes that bleem would have made a bleemcast boot-up disc for the Dreamcast like they did MGS, GT2, & Tekken 3.
But I guess im short:confused: D@mn Sony put bleem out of business!!!
It's all gravy doe cause I will just barrow a friends PSOne or PS2 to play them someday.;)

l Maximus l
01-18-2002, 10:38 AM
My point was that there will be even better games and better ideas as time goes on. Some day, Final Fantasy will be like what Pong is to us (not literally, of course, but, it could happen...and yes, it will take a long time). Like I said, the FF series is a cool series...don't get me wrong...but, there was once a time that the Final Fantasy series didn't exist...and the best thing we had at that time was Pitfall! lol

I mean, Squaresoft was a tiny company at one time. They got big by being successful with their innovation in game making. Others will repeat this venture... That's all I am trying to say :)

JJaX
01-18-2002, 10:52 AM
ff set a standard in RPG's. From that point on every RPG with turned based attacks is gonna be comapred to it. FF already has its fans and it will be hard for many to move onto a different RPG without being biased.

XENOGEARS was another great square game!