PDA

View Full Version : Rip Espn Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ea Plays For Keeps!!!

Sheeyt
05-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Well apparently EA has said they have a huge announcement they plan to make in June. Well after doing some snoping on the Internet I've come across one theory that seems to be floating around, and it's troubling....

Here it is, EA is about to sign a 4 year EXCLUSIVE deal with the NFLPA (National Football League Players Association)this would mean that Madden and Madden alone would be allowed to use authentic player names on jersey's in the games. ESPN and others would be forced to use generic names and player statistics.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.perform_search&keyword=electronic+arts

1. EA set to pay Players Inc. $1 billion

... Players Inc., the marketing and licensing subsidiary of the NFLPA, is close to a billion-dollar deal that will grant NFL player rights to sports video game king Electronic Arts for the next four years. While the $250 million a year includes marketing commitments, the magnitude of the deal — one of the largest, if not the largest, sports licensing deals ever — demonstrates the influence ...
Marketing/Sponsorship
Published 05/03/04 in The SportsBusiness Journal

This is all I could get from the article because you have to subscribe..... But can you say RIP ESPN????

diranged
05-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Damn those EA *******s! IMO espn football is a way better game than maden. i dont see whats all the fuss on maden is. espn looks better and the guys are easier to controll on espn, and all the hits look more realistic. I hope this is not true. :watchout:

Slowride
05-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm an EA fan and I want them to do well and all, but this is going to far. I think if this happened a lot of people would buy sega just to spite them. Or maybe thats just wishful thinking.

RockTheCasba
05-15-2004, 08:51 PM
they couldnt do that

Anthony4sho
05-15-2004, 09:47 PM
So? I'm going with the game that has better gameplay, not the game that get's Ricky Williams name on his jersey right.

Slowride
05-15-2004, 09:50 PM
NCAA is a fantastic name and doesn't get the names. I don't think this will happen though because ESPN is with SEGA.

RockTheCasba
05-15-2004, 09:53 PM
they cant buy the players association its not possible. but if they can and they do oh well i play ncaa football anyway so dont bother me a bit.

Sheeyt
05-15-2004, 10:00 PM
They arent buying the NFLPA they are signing an exclusive deal with them to secure the rights for the NFL players names in Madden only.

Casper
05-15-2004, 10:01 PM
They can do it, but I highly doubt that they would do this to screw with ESPN - you can't burn bridges like that with the biggest sports network.

Caesar SYN
05-15-2004, 10:02 PM
OH YEAH!!!!!! Here we go Baby... Madden ONLINE a Football purists games.... at least they get the rules right...

WynnFire
05-16-2004, 12:11 AM
I keep hating EA more and more. I was finally starting to like them because of the Xbox Live games coming out this fall but then this, B@STARDS!

BananaMan
05-16-2004, 12:46 AM
That's awful. I was going to buy the battlefield game and probably another EA game, but forget it now. ESPN is good, and imo I like it better than madden, but if it comes down to that...**** EA.

NCAA is a fantastic name and doesn't get the names. I don't think this will happen though because ESPN is with SEGA.

I think NCAA doesn't get the names because think of all those colleges on that game, and imagine putting every single player for every single team on one disc.

RockTheCasba
05-16-2004, 01:52 AM
they dont get the names because you arent allowed to put a college athletes name in the game without paying him and you cant pay college players.

ShannonX
05-16-2004, 09:48 AM
its a good thing i dont like football games :) Actualy, I dont care for sports game in general anyways. I used to when i was younger, but my tastes have changed. But yes, they can do that. They did it with nascar, remember that? Now nobody but EA can create games based on nascar.

Sheeyt
05-16-2004, 10:05 AM
If Microsoft isn't careful EA may take over the world before they can.

Slowride
05-16-2004, 11:48 AM
I think NCAA doesn't get the names because think of all those colleges on that game, and imagine putting every single player for every single team on one disc.

rockthecasbah already posted half of what I was gonna say for me :they dont get the names because you arent allowed to put a college athletes name in the game without paying him and you cant pay college players.

But that aside my point was it's still a great game. Really, you don't need the names. They're nice, but it adds nothing to the game play. Don't get me wrong t hough, I think in NFL games names > no names.

bretman1234
05-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Unfortunate for ESPN fans, but I was gonna get Madden either way. I've owned madden since Madden '95 on Sega Genesis, and I haven't had one problem, except that it wasn't live. I am deffinately psyched for this years Madden. Watch your backs on Live boys, Corey Dillon is gonna shred the field UP!!!

BananaMan
05-16-2004, 01:29 PM
rockthecasbah already posted half of what I was gonna say for me :they dont get the names because you arent allowed to put a college athletes name in the game without paying him and you cant pay college players.

But that aside my point was it's still a great game. Really, you don't need the names. They're nice, but it adds nothing to the game play. Don't get me wrong t hough, I think in NFL games names > no names.

Oh I really wasn't sure because I really don't play any college football titles mainly NFL.

MixMasta
05-16-2004, 01:44 PM
You know what I never understood? ESPN the channel has a show sponsered by Madden, and ABC's monday night is also sponsered by Madden. I think Sega should dump ESPN and see if Fox or CBS will sponser it.

Slowride
05-16-2004, 02:39 PM
"reppa! (You'll never guess who gave you this "

I give up. Who?

bretman1234
05-16-2004, 02:51 PM
"reppa! (You'll never guess who gave you this "

I give up. Who?
:rofl:

:)

http://pl.atyp.us/pictures/australia/poop.jpg

lllSmokelll
05-16-2004, 03:24 PM
i only play EA sports games anyways :hump:

Kortiz
05-16-2004, 03:51 PM
I doubt this will happen. If it does...well I definitely know what game I'm getting...but we'll see. I doubt it will happen...I hope it doesn't happen.

CharlieHustle
05-16-2004, 06:19 PM
I dont believe it until its official. Also, a billion dollars over four years is alot to pay just for the rights of players names. Also, it STILL wouldnt sway me to buy madden. Its still the same game if there is players names on the back or not. Also after the first year of franchise mode, all the names dont matter to me anyways. Ill still be gettin espn football. This was posted almost 2 weeks ago. If it was official, then it would be on every game news site.

BORNGD
05-16-2004, 07:10 PM
if this is true, which for some reason i highly doubt it...but if it is, they must be paying the nfl a whole lot of cash!

Highlite23
05-17-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm glad EA came around, but i'm still rolling with Sega (ESPN) :p

memphissheik
05-17-2004, 06:13 AM
nah...that's not it...can't be..
if that were the case...ESPN has grounds to say that EA is creating a sports video game monopoly..
since there technically is no place to get licensing to do that..
and furthermore if they were to do that..
half the names on that list from the players association would pull out of it..simply because it would mean more money to them to license out their own name for video games..

I'm sure they just got a bulk licsensing deal for all thie games with a bunch of incentives..

IE.. they just paid the NFL off to do as many NFL Streets....and TD celebrations as they feel they need to.

Casper
05-17-2004, 09:36 AM
IE.. they just paid the NFL off to do as many NFL Streets....and TD celebrations as they feel they need to.

They told Midway to stop making Blitz with real NFL players because 'it portrayed the incorrect image of the NFL in the game' but yet, NFL Street has their backing - mainly because Blitz wasn't selling, and I would put money on saying that EA gave the NFL money to push Midway to the side.

Sheeyt
05-17-2004, 09:52 AM
I remember when one of the consoles was launching and Madden was going to be a launch title..... Maybe PS2. EA *****ed and complained to Sony because Sega 2k2 was coming out the sametime as the launch of the PS2 as well as Madden.

mattgame
05-17-2004, 09:52 AM
EA is takin' over like that?! This would be a major coup.