PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix and Microsoft Ink Deal for Final Fantasty Series

Brutus
05-20-2004, 11:10 AM
While not yet for the Current Console, we're gonna' have the Final Fantasy name on our beloved American Console.
Does this new partnership mean that we're going to get a surprise package like Rockstar's GTA Package?
Who knows. The GTA wasn't confirmed at all. It just sort of jumped right on our lap.
A confirmation for the next console... Maybe they'll jump on our lap this holiday season. Especially with this HUGE jump in hardware sales.
Here's the link to the SquareEnix/Microsoft deal.
SQUARE ENIX CLIMBS ABOARD THE GOOD SHIP XBOX 2
OK. I can't get it to show up... Here:
Wednesday 19th May 2004

Final Fantasy developer hints at strong possibility of games for Microsoft's next console

13:00 Recent comments from Square Enix President Yoichi Wada imply that the company behind the hugely popular Final Fantasy series is thinking, in very serious terms, of developing for Xbox 2.
In an interview conducted with US press, Wada expressed interest in Xbox 2, saying that Xbox's successor will "fully deserve consideration". Wada also talked about an "evolution in the thinking" at Microsoft, suggesting that previous doubts have been put aside, Square Enix now far happier with the direction Microsoft is taking with its console plans.

Wada went on to speak favourably about Microsoft's decision to focus heavily on online gaming but, echoing EA's initial response to Xbox Live, he expressed displeasure with the way Live has been set up.

"...the attempt was to create a closed network in a closed environment. That is completely contrary to our concept of networked business," Wada said.

Wada's "evolution in the thinking" comment is the focus of much speculation in this regard, with many assuming it refers to the Microsoft/EA deal that's resulted in the world's biggest third-party videogame publisher finally lending its support to Xbox Live.

EA has paved the way, and it's a path Square Enix could follow. Whatever, no-one is in any doubt that the support of the Japanese company for Xbox 2, which Xbox has lacked, would be a massive boon for Microsoft and its next console.

Stuart Bishop

The deal is confirmed. I'm just entertaining the thought of seeing a Final Fantasy Game on the current Console.
The real question: Is there room on the Xbox for a non-linear RPG?
What do you guys think?

Brutus
05-20-2004, 11:11 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=105014
You guy's would probably want this for validity.

Sheeyt
05-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Bah turn based RPGs are a thing of the past. Final Fantasy has become the most annoying video game series in history. When are they just going to kill that stupid series?

Oh and by the way. No where in that article does it say "Microsoft and Square Enix Ink deal." That's pure speculation.

thrAsher
05-20-2004, 11:33 AM
There is PLENTY of room for any type of RPG on the Xbox. I'd much rather play even a turn-based RPG than an FPS any day, and the truth is there are a lot of gamers who feel the same way. I mean, how many hours of SCPT or R63 can you play before you're bored to tears? The repetition, the complete lack of any true substance, the continual run and gun...*yawn*.

Gimme the FF series on the Xbox or Xbox 2 and I'll be a happy gamer.

Sheeyt
05-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Final Fantasy = Meh after Final Fantasy 7. FF7 was one of the best RPG's I've played. I was excited for FF8 when I finally got it I was terribly dissappointed, it was so long and drawn out with a boring story.

thrAsher
05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
That might be the case, FF7 is still what I base my feelings toward the franchise on. But there is still no arguing that the Xbox is severely, despicably void of a great next-gen RPG. Deus Ex was laughable (as an RPG), Morrowind is a PC port w/ more bugs then the grill of Mario Andretti's car, Arx Fatalis was just boring after a point, and the Baldur's Gate games are NOT RPG's, but action/adventure games w/ light RPG elements.

The only one worth a damn is Kotor, and after a couple times through, stick a fork in me, I'm done! I thought perhaps the DL content for Kotor would bring me back for more, but a hallway, a Rodian, and a handful of expensive items is a waste of my time.

Sheeyt
05-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Jade Empire, Fable.. I need not say anymore.

Brutus
05-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah. There's just no room for it. We're spoiled. I used to call those my role playing games. But why role play a stupid guy with a pointy hat when I can play the role of a Master Ninja, or a Elite Super Soldier. Even some Psycho Mental patient with glowing hands.
The action/adventure titles are now my favorite roles to play. I can't even deal with that turn based crap.
I loved Deus Ex. I really did. The endings sucked, but it was great. KOTOR, I didn't really care for. I couldn't get into the Star War's theme.
But RPG, doesn't have the meaning of Non-linear pointy hair dorks anymore. It's way to expansive now and I love it!

Brutus
05-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Jade Empire, Fable.. I need not say anymore.
Can't wait for FABLE!!
Rid**** and Driv3er should hold me over though.

LTM360
05-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Bah, who wants to wait for Xbox 2. Final Fantasy rocks, (yeah TRIR 8 sucked) and I thought it would've been so much smarter to make FFXI for Xbox, but whatever, their decision not mine. I've got FFX, so I've no reason to want remakes, besides, It don't say that they WILL, just speculation.

sped
05-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Final Fantasy = Meh after Final Fantasy 7. FF7 was one of the best RPG's I've played. I was excited for FF8 when I finally got it I was terribly dissappointed, it was so long and drawn out with a boring story.
Sad but true, I wouldnt mind a ported FF7 for Xbox though, even though its old...I'd totally buy it, one of my favorite games of all time.

Brutus
05-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Sad but true, I wouldnt mind a ported FF7 for Xbox though, even though its old...I'd totally buy it, one of my favorite games of all time.
You know what would be about a thousand times better. A remake of Final Fantasy 7 that is open ended and let's you do what you want! Like: Fable! There is a direction for you to take but it's not so cookie cutter! You know!
I think that that would be cool.
I want to be an Evil Cloud. That would be kind of cool. Build my own Chocobo Farm, Drive around in a vehicle on the "World Map" and even go swimming I.E. Morrowind style.
Hey! I may have just hit on something. That sounds like a fun game!
On a serious note though:When Fable releases we'll be happier than any other generation of RPGer's.
The vehicle thing sounds interesting though...

Brevity
05-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Wow if this is true and S-E, my fave comp in the world for RPGs, and MS have inked a deal for games on xbox I think that would so rock. I have owned dam near all the FF games as have many ppl and all those ppl have been forced to own only one consol for doing such a thing (PS2). Now those that have never had the blissful fun of a FF game or ne of the 100s of other great S-E games will get a chance to play. I am currently logging like over 40+ hours a week on FFXI while I dont think it will ever happen I would think it killer for xb to get that one. Or the new Kingdom Hearts would rock. Ne way great news and turn based RPGs are not just what S-E does and they are MOST CERTAINLY NOT DEAD, what kind of dip would say such a thing. I for one play those out dated games still, like xenogears.

Brutus
05-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Wow if this is true and S-E, my fave comp in the world for RPGs, and MS have inked a deal for games on xbox I think that would so rock. I have owned dam near all the FF games as have many ppl and all those ppl have been forced to own only one consol for doing such a thing (PS2). Now those that have never had the blissful fun of a FF game or ne of the 100s of other great S-E games will get a chance to play. I am currently logging like over 40+ hours a week on FFXI while I dont think it will ever happen I would think it killer for xb to get that one. Or the new Kingdom Hearts would rock. Ne way great news and turn based RPGs are not just what S-E does and they are MOST CERTAINLY NOT DEAD, what kind of dip would say such a thing. I for one play those out dated games still, like xenogears.
Ahhh... Brevity. My Sig man. How you been? To much FFXI I suppose...
Anyhow, when XSN takes over, our American console, whether it be Xbox or Xnext, is going to corner the market. Did you see my post in the Xbox 2 section? They spent only 6 weeks on a Crash demo & it's prettier than the replays in Yakuza Missions.
iF A NEXT GEN (After current) console tries to design a game without XSN, it can be done, but it'll cost an arm and a leg!
Not only that, but what else he was saying is this:
With XSN, they'll be able to bring the same amount of production in about 15% of the time. Then said, imagine the games when they take that 15% and make it closer to 80%! It's going to be mind blowing.
No wonder why all of these company's are jumping on the XSN Bandwagon. We're in for some HUGE surprises!

Ninja
05-21-2004, 12:05 PM
I want a port of FFXII damit.

Ninja
05-21-2004, 12:07 PM
It's going to be a mmorpg with a monthy fee that all Square will put on the XBox2.

Bigwig
05-22-2004, 11:37 PM
I hate FF. Keep it off of Xbox 2 please..

Unreal
05-22-2004, 11:42 PM
You can never have too many RPG's and I for one will look forward to whatever Sqeenix will release if this is true. I have FFX, FFX-2 for my PS2.

TOTTEN
05-23-2004, 02:14 AM
our beloved American Console.
you mean our good ol mexican console
:cry:

Brutus
05-24-2004, 09:49 AM
you mean our good ol mexican console
:cry:
Haha...
That's just wrong!
But you are right... :cry:

seraf
05-25-2004, 03:54 AM
A FF game for the X-Box would bring up the sales for them sooo much o-o! lol. Although I would like a direct port of FFVII myself, I JUST DON'T WANT A REMAKE >< I don't want a classic ruined by using next-gen graphics...lol.

Brutus
05-25-2004, 09:15 AM
I sure wouldn't mind Fable to come out. Then see what kind of game that Sqeenix can come op with now that they REALLY have to put effort into a game!

seraf
05-25-2004, 09:19 AM
May I ask where you got your source for this? I just need to confirm all this <.<

Brutus
05-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Final Fantasy developer hints at strong possibility of games for Microsoft's next console
here's the link. It's not blue though... Hold on...
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=105014

Hey! That should work for you, No?

seraf
05-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Had to copy and paste but it worked, thanks ^_^

Brutus
05-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Had to copy and paste but it worked, thanks ^_^
Don't ask me how to turn the darn thing blue. That's beyond me. Not that I even care. I can at least show you that.
But what do you think. Now that they're talking about Xbox 2, do you think they'll come out with something on the current console just to sort of test the waters?
I think they will, just like Rockstar saw that Max Payne was doing well; Hey, let's just release a double pack!
Maybe we'll get some of their games over here, you know. If they do though, which one do you think it would be?