PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a new TV!

JADE8704
05-21-2004, 05:27 PM
What's up everyone,

Well it's that time of the year again when I have finally saved up enough money to blow it out on some nifty electronics gaget-thingamajigy. This year I've decided to buy a new TV to enhance my Xbox Xperience. With new games supporting higher definition TV's, widescreen, and God knows what else, I'd like your input on what kind of TV I should purchase. Price isn't an issue (as of right now), and I really don't know what is suitable for a great gaming experience.

I'm also planning on buying a surround sound system, too...but like the TV, I don't know what's good, bad, and ugly. I know my fellow xbox addicts can help a brotha out, so please post some suggestions and maybe I'll post some pics of the new setup when I have the chance. Thanx alot! :cheers:

lotec16
05-21-2004, 05:39 PM
You don't want a T.V. with burn in if your playing games on it, check for that on different technologys and that starts to sort things out.

JADE8704
05-21-2004, 05:42 PM
you mean like rear-projection TVs? I was thinkin more either plasma or hdtv...but i don't know what's better for gaming

Slowride
05-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah. I hooked up my xbox to my dad's widescreen HDTV and now theres a permanant rectangle spot on the screen. So be careful.

Chaotic
05-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Well i've been researching tv's for the past 6 months and i finally bought something last month... I ended up going with the Sony KF60WE610 60" LCD TV... I was hung on going DLP until i researched more and more and actually compared both these tv's side by side at 3 diffrent stores... In the end the LCD was a much better TV... It had better contrast and an extremely sharper image... The only thing im worried about is the pixels burning out.. The people i talked to said they have yet to see any of the new Sony LCD's with pixel problems so that kind of made me feel a little better... If your going to be getting into the DLP and LCD technology make sure you spend the extra money and get the 4 year extended warranty because it will basically pay for itself when you have to make a bulb change... The bulbs alone cost like $250 and the warranty is only $299 for parts and labor....

I guess it comes down to how much money do you want to spend?

JADE8704
05-21-2004, 06:12 PM
I'd say around 3,000 to 3,500...but it really isn't a problem right now. Is LCD the new HDTV? What difference does it make if I go one way or the other (LCD or HDTV).

Thanks for helping me out guys, I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to this kind of stuff :)

severd hed
05-21-2004, 06:42 PM
plasma tvs are really bad for "burn in" so are not very good for gaming..also they are overpriced.

I also went through this tough decision a while back..and after doing some research..i decided to go with a projector instead of a tv. I found many advantages over a TV.

it takes up less space
bigger screen
vga inputs for connecting a PC
it's portable

they arent for everyone..but you may want to consider them. I went with the Infocus X1 DLP projector. it has a native 800x600 resolution, and can scale a 1024x768 image to fit. I am very happy i went the projector route, i connect it to my receiver and i functions just like a tv (there is no tuner, but as long as you connect a cable/satalite box or vcr, that isnt a problem.) The image quality is great..and the best part is...it's portable.. I can easily take it to a friends house and with a blank wall, you have an instant portable big screen...great for xbox lan games. also i take it to my mom's house...we hang up a big screen on the side of her house and watch movies on an 18ft screen....its awesome.

the only real disadvantages are that the room has to be fairly dark to see the screen, and that every so often you have to replace a bulb. mine has a 4000 hour bulb life, but the bulbs are $300. but it just made more sense for me. I live in a relativly small, upstairs apartment....trying to bring in a big screen TV would be very difficult, and would take up alot of space in my living room...where the projector takes up absolutly no floor space at all. i mounted it on the ceiling and hung a screen on the oposite wall...so it works great in a small room.

it has composite, s-video, component, and vga inputs so you can connect just about everything. and it was a great value..for $999 i got a 71" tv (65" in widescreen mode) that not only looks great, but i can easily take with me wherever i go.

here is a link to the projector i have...that is their low end unit..there are many other great projectors available if you want to spend more money..

http://www.infocus.com/products/productview.asp?site_lang=1&site_region=1&prod=x1&c=4

Chaotic
05-21-2004, 08:37 PM
I'd say around 3,000 to 3,500...but it really isn't a problem right now. Is LCD the new HDTV? What difference does it make if I go one way or the other (LCD or HDTV).

Thanks for helping me out guys, I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to this kind of stuff :)

Well my friend then i would take a look at the 50" sony LCD TV and the Samsung 46" DLP...

Those would be in your price range... LCD is a new type of Rear Projection HDTV with 0 risk of burn in... Same goes with DLP...

You really need to compare both tv's side by side and determine which one you like best...

These tv's also have DVI input, component,svga inputs... and the sony has a slot for compaq flash memory from your digital camera...

lotec16
05-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Someone here posted a link a while ago to a A/V forum.... it was before the new xba so it was lost in the shift and since then I have formated my hard drive(lost bookmarks). So could that person please put the link up to the forum.

CharlieHustle
05-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Let me make it simple for you. I have a pillips 46" widescreen HDTV. Now it probably does depends on how much do you play games. I only play for about 1-2 hours a day, at most. I had my TV for six months, and i see no problem with it. If you play games for prolonged periods, like 4-8 hrs consistantly everyday, i believe that you have a chance to get burnins. But i dont see a problem with what i have, at all. Its the still images like, Score or whatever life meters, or whatever that can ruin the screen but it is FROM PROLONGED EXPOSURE. But mine is fine. Now with the TV i have, it has 480p and 1080i, i actually dont have it hooked up my HD inputs, cuz my s-video is fine enough for me. But the colors are crisp, and the xbox does support widescreen, and most games support HD tv's.

Chaotic
05-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Burn in occurs when you have a static object on the screen for prolonged periods of time... For example when you play Halo you have your HUD that displays on the screen... Those are the types of objects that will eventually cause you to get burn in... Also pausing the game will cause burn in over time... This is not something that's instant... But as stated above the risk of burn in is minamal depending on how often you play games and for how long... If you dont want to worry about burn in then you want to stay away from projection HDTV's and look at the LCD's and DLP's.

l Maximus l
05-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Burn in occurs when you have a static object on the screen for prolonged periods of time... For example when you play Halo you have your HUD that displays on the screen... Those are the types of objects that will eventually cause you to get burn in... Also pausing the game will cause burn in over time... This is not something that's instant... But as stated above the risk of burn in is minamal depending on how often you play games and for how long... If you dont want to worry about burn in then you want to stay away from projection HDTV's and look at the LCD's and DLP's.

Keep in mind that the HUD disappears if you get killed when playing Halo's multi-player. During the Campaign, however, the only time the HUD goes away is either through cut scenes and/or level change. I'm sure you know this, but, just a reminder.

Chaotic is right: If you want zero chance for burn in, get an LCD HDTV (Liquid Crystal Display - High Definition Television). I strongly recommend a Sony or Hitachi (both top rated...Toshiba is another top rated brand). Hitachi earned the highest rating last year.

I have a rear projection HDTV (not LCD). I bought it before LCD HDTVs were on the market...and I've owned it for two years now. I have a risk for burn-in on mine, however, I keep the contrast low which dramatically reduces burn-in. Toshiba is the brand I have...and Toshiba actually has a patented technology that dramatically reduces or elimates burn-in even with a relatively high contrast. Even still images move on the screen...not enough for the naked eye to notice, however, it dramatically reduces burn-in.

But, enough of all the technicalities... Once you get an HDTV, you'll NEVER go back to a tube again! It's bad ass!!!!

As for Surround Sound systems...I have a box set that has 600 Watts and one Optical input and one Digital Coax input. I use the Digital Coax for my DVD player and my Optical (TOSLINK) input for my XBox. Remember, you will not get *true* digital surround sound without using an optical cable. So, make sure to get the High Definitiion A/V pack and purchase an optical cable (around $20 for the optical cable) or get the Monster 400 series XBox Component video cables...but remember, if you go that route, you'll have to purchase the proprietary Monster Optical Cable (around $35). I have the Monster set-up and it looks and sounds friggin' insane :D

lotec16
05-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Burn in occurs when you have a static object on the screen for prolonged periods of time... For example when you play Halo you have your HUD that displays on the screen... Those are the types of objects that will eventually cause you to get burn in...

I see the HUD when i'm not even looking at a T.V. :p

I know someone here has a link to the A/V forum that i forget the url for... come on...... anyone? :bang: :bang: :bang:

JADE8704
05-23-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanx alot guys...I'll prolly post some pics when i get the new set up (which will prolly be in a couple of weeks)

Chaotic
05-23-2004, 09:01 AM
I see the HUD when i'm not even looking at a T.V. :p

Boy i hope not :p

scrotemus
05-24-2004, 01:20 PM
skip the projection tv's or plasma. they (generally) have poor picture quality. the ones you see with the good picture quality start at around 6-7thousand bucks. you want a superflat HDtv from a big company like sony or rca. there is a price 'sweet spot' where you get the best deals. when i bought my hdtv the sweet spot was 36 inches - for 4 grand (canadian bucks) it was a great deal. nowadays the sweet spot has risen - for the same price (actually about 200-500 less) you can get 'i think' 42 inches now. projection? crap. plasma? double crap! stick with the regular HDtv superflat screen and you will never regret it.

as well when you do buy it look around first. and make sure you are able to see the best picture quality the tv has. example: when i went shopping i insisted i see the tv showing a dvd (a good dvd - one place tried to show me a dvd of a 1930s horserace), as well i asked to see the HD at work (either satellite or cable. you dont want any surprises when you get home).