PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Nascar game out right now?

Soundscape
05-25-2004, 07:36 PM
nascar thunder 04 was the only nascar game i've seen in the stores around here. what others are there to choose from, and which is the better?

thanks alot!

sped
05-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Nascar Thunder is the only Nascar game you will see for the next 5 years, they sold their liscensing exclusively to EA, so don't bother looking for others. That game is the best you'll find.

Soundscape
05-25-2004, 10:54 PM
does thunder 2004 have splitscreen multilayer, where you can race against a freind?

sped
05-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Yeah it has split screen race modes and even a multiplayer season.

Soundscape
05-25-2004, 11:42 PM
thanks...so would you say that nascar thunder 2004 is a much better game than nascar heat 2002?

BananaMan
05-26-2004, 12:23 AM
He said it was the best game around, so I'd say so.

Soundscape
05-26-2004, 01:32 AM
here's a quote from one review:

"The intelligence breaks down in the game when pit strategy and cautions come into play. Playing in the career mode, you can expect most of your starts to be at the back of the field. Further, the pack will quickly speed off into the distance leaving you driving solo for much of the race. No fear, however, as idiotic AI will easily allow you to gain 20 or more positions for consistent driving. The problem is with cautions. Depending on the point in the race, tire condition, and remaining fuel, sometimes it's most optimum to pit under yellow. While common sense tells you to pit, the AI cars apparently have lousy crew chiefs. Cars often wait until after the caution period to pit, allowing you to move through the field for free. Further, you can actually abuse the system or trick the game into moving up. Let a majority of the field pit under green. Then, just spin out to bring the yellow flag out. You can then pit under caution without penalty. While I certainly understand lady luck has a role in pitting, I expect a game to penalize me more for initiating a caution period. Thunder basically rewards you."

that review has really turned me off the game. if what he said is true, that would make the game kinda boring and pointless.

the reviewer goes on to say that "Heat 2002 on the PS2 with a force feedback wheel is my standard for stock car console bliss". i thought about nascar heat 2002, but the reviews i've read have said that the steering is very touchy and unrealistic.

does anyone(who's hopefully played the 2 mentioned games) have any advice?

thanks again

severd hed
05-26-2004, 08:52 AM
i have nascar heat 2002 for xbox, and i like it alot. although, i am not a big nascar fan. i have played nascar thunder 2003 and 2004, and while they are good...i had more fun with heat. I also hooked upmy mad catz MC2 racing wheel and it works pretty well with this game.(although if i remember correctly, due to the fact that you cant completly customize the control setup..i coudlnt use the shifter to shift gears) but it was still alot of fun, with the in the car view and the wheel, on a big screen it feels like you are driving the car...plus you can get Heat pretty cheap...so you cant go wrong with that

low_ridah10
05-26-2004, 09:02 AM
I have a few nascar games and my favorite is heat 2002. If your looking for more of a simulation heat is what you want, if your looking for arcade style get thunder. In heat 2002 you can switch your mode to hardcore realism and the cars react a lot more realistically than in thunder. Graphically thunder is better. Id just try and rent both and see which you think is better

JuniorBrady
05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I have 2003 and 2004. I like them, but not a lot, and I love NASCAR. The problem is that it's just too dang hard to control your car.

sped
05-26-2004, 03:41 PM
The best Nascar game you can get is Sierra's Nascar series for PC, im sure that its mod community has updated all the cars for the new season as well. Search google and check it out, I think its called Nascar Racing 4.

JuniorBrady
05-26-2004, 03:49 PM
The best Nascar game you can get is Sierra's Nascar series for PC, im sure that its mod community has updated all the cars for the new season as well. Search google and check it out, I think its called Nascar Racing 4.

Interesting, I've never heard of that. That sounds cool. Thanks for that info.