PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Next PC it might just happen.

OuFtb
05-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Microsoft is currently researching the potential/consumer appeal of hardware that would combine Xbox and PC gaming capabilities, CNN Money is reporting.
The kit is reportedly being referred to as Xbox Next PC, with Californian market research company B/R/S Group gathering consumer feedback on the machine. The hardware is described as a console featuring a hard-drive and a "built-in fully functional PC."

According to the report, a PC monitor or HDTV would be the required VDU for the Xbox Next PC - backing up Xbox chief J Allard's comment to CVG that next-gen will be "all about high definition". It would be backwards compatible with current Xbox titles, play next-generation Xbox titles, play PC games, run a full version of Windows and come with a CD burner and DVD player.

Additionally, built-in Xbox Live access would feature, along with a remote control for the DVD player, a mouse and keyboard and a Xbox controller. For the purposes of the research, price point of the device was $599 (roughly £325).

Considering Microsoft's recent XNA showcase, part of which involved talk of plans to share technology between Xbox and PC, the Xbox Next PC isn't such a bolt of the blue as you might at first think.

But Xbox Next PC is far from set in stone, according to the Redmond giant itself. Instead it's one of many possible concepts that could see the light of day as Microsoft puts out feelers to gauge direction for the next generation scene.

"We would be remiss if we didn't look at consumer scenarios that take advantage of our strengths," corporate vice president of worldwide marketing and publishing for Microsoft's home and entertainment division Peter Moore told CNN Money.

"[But] this is one amongst many, many other consumer scenarios that we're looking at," Moore said.

He added: "If you put two and two together, there's no doubt there's a great opportunity to put the two platforms together. Obviously with a company like Microsoft this is something we have to look into and ask about. Is it actionable today? Probably not, but it's something we need to look at."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=105347

This isn't set in stone like said above but it could happen. I like how it sounds but I couldn't afford 600 bucks to buy it. Would anyone here actully buy this?

Chaotic
05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
WOW that sounds killer...I would buy it for sure :yikes:

Spaztic
05-27-2004, 03:18 PM
...sounds risky! I bet the software could be hacked and ripped into ISO's. Thus making any higher end pc a xbox!

Here is another theory.

xbox 2 details from japan developer working on hardware! (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/509/509465p1.html?fromint=1)

Chaotic
05-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Interesting... 3 3.5ghz cpu's :yikes:

Koopa
05-27-2004, 03:37 PM
six hundred dollars? MS isn't that stupid.

xbox is a console, not a pc, and i hope it stays that way.

ya know another console that's trying to be a PC and console? the phantom...and i'm sure they'll be very successful :watchout:

and the last expensive console that came out...that $400 3DO thing... what a success THAT was.

jelgiad
05-27-2004, 04:09 PM
I agree with koopa, xbox is a console. I buy a console to play games, whereas my pc is more for work-oriented stuff (dont get me wrong,i do play a game or two on it :)). Truthfully, i feel the say way about most of the added stuff they put in consoles these days. I already have a dvd player and cd player, i dont need all that extra stuff jacking up the price. As far as it being a pc, then you have to worry about the operating system and/or other programs draining the resources that should be used on gaming.

Just my 2 cents

Cryogenic Pyro
05-27-2004, 04:52 PM
I agree with koopa, xbox is a console. I buy a console to play games, whereas my pc is more for work-oriented stuff (dont get me wrong,i do play a game or two on it :)). Truthfully, i feel the say way about most of the added stuff they put in consoles these days. I already have a dvd player and cd player, i dont need all that extra stuff jacking up the price. As far as it being a pc, then you have to worry about the operating system and/or other programs draining the resources that should be used on gaming.

Just my 2 cents
I agree, except for the DVD and CD player part. Unless they change the format of the games from DVD, they might as well use it to it's full potential. It's not like they have to add anything on the hardware side to make it play DVDs and CDs.

I would never buy one of these. I would rather buy a PC and an Xbox Next, thanks.

jelgiad
05-27-2004, 05:04 PM
I agree, except for the DVD and CD player part. Unless they change the format of the games from DVD, they might as well use it to it's full potential. It's not like they have to add anything on the hardware side to make it play DVDs and CDs.

I would never buy one of these. I would rather buy a PC and an Xbox Next, thanks.

Yeah, i guess you have a point. :cheers:

scrotemus
05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
another article about the xbox pc hybrid

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1602445,00.asp

sped
05-27-2004, 08:50 PM
I doubt it would be $600 at release, the idea is to make PC gaming cheaper to the general public, good PC's that can run high end games are much more expensive, I would only buy it if I needed a new PC. Otherwise I'll just get an Xbox 2 or run the Xbox games on PC, since someone will likely hack it. MS is a hackers best friend.

sped
05-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Xbox hard drives and games are in FatX format, not DVD format, they're just on DVD storage. I dunno how they would work around all of that.