PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Ebay Scam

SoundX
06-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Woo hoo! I found something that no one else posted on this site before me! :D

Haha, I just read about this on HBO. A guy put up a fake (presumibly) Halo 2 game and the bidding got real damn high! $99,999,999.00

"How to be stupid, in public
Yesterday, we got word from tyler holt that a rather bizarre auction was going on over at eBay. Someone who'd registered on Thursday had started an auction for a Halo 2 pre-release playable game. There was a bit of discussion in our forum about this - many people warned the bidders that this was likely not real. By yesterday evening, things had gotten out of hand; the bidding, which had been creeping up by $50s and $100s all day, suddenly started jumping by thousands. At 11:38 pm (PST), the bid had reached $100,000. By 15 minutes after midnight, it peaked - at $99,999,999.00. And that's where it closed, at 7:15 this morning. It's quite possible this page will be yanked by eBay - there's fraud on all sides, more than enough to go around - so we've put up a static (no working links) local copy. The exception is the Bids link - that works, and points to another local page. Bungie's been alerted - but I'm really doubting this is anything but a scam, in any case. (Louis Wu 20:37:01 UTC) (permalink)"

http://halo.bungie.org/ - Read about it here
http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/ebay_halo2fraud/ - Or take a look for yourself here.

My god, what a scam. Pritty amazing bids too.

Yannie Boy
06-01-2004, 09:29 AM
actually some one already posted it yesterday

but it's stupid how they tried to do it, and people actually bidded :bang:

E Nomini Patri
06-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Dude I was reading the thread about that a day before Louis posted it on the front page of HBO. But yeah, I didn't want to say anything about it because it's a scam, and people get confused sometimes and believe things that are false. Hehe, I have the Best Buy Halo 2 disc and it looks EXACTLY the same, case and all. :)

Duke
06-01-2004, 11:01 AM
US $99,999,999.00

Whew, I got the winning bid. I was worried, but soon I'll be playing.

Reclaimer
06-01-2004, 12:10 PM
He spelled Bungie wrong. Bungee? The company he works for?

Some people are idiots. God knows how many fools really voted on that.

Ethereal S. D.
06-01-2004, 12:29 PM
That is hilarious. Horrendously obvious on how fake it is. Stupid kids... think they can do anything with photoshop. :rolleyes: :rofl:

themoosearmy
06-01-2004, 01:16 PM
That is hilarious. Horrendously obvious on how fake it is. Stupid kids... think they can do anything with photoshop. :rolleyes: :rofl:
If anyone believes this load of crap, they should be shot, drug out into the street, and stomped on, only to be shot again:

PS Halo2 was ready in January, MS just wanted to save it to max out Halo and spur sales this Christmas, that is why I'm selling... I'm sick of them making you guys wait, it really is killer.

He spelled Bungie wrong, lives in DC, can't type, has 0 feedback, and "thinks" he could get away with this if he uses a "re-mailer." On the other hand though, this has got to be one of the funniest things i've seen. He most likely did this to hear people scream and yell using his fake ebay account. Right now, hes sitting in his office laughing at the forums of people gettin rowled up over this.

SoundX
06-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh, so i didn't get to it first... Ah well... I'm not really the fool in this one..

haha, wonder how that winning bidder feels.

Variation-XBA
06-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Some people shouldn't be allowed to have the internet

BunnyRabbit
06-01-2004, 03:24 PM
US $99,999,999.00

Whew, I got the winning bid. I was worried, but soon I'll be playing.

So it was you?! GD SOB!!! I hate that.. Outbid me by a penny.. Oh well I was gonna try and scam a scammer anyway. :hump:

E Nomini Patri
06-01-2004, 05:23 PM

Meh, that wasn't photoshopped...

Ethereal S. D.
06-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes it is. The supposed manual is flat as a peice of paper. Not to mention these flaws on the cd cover:
-the printing on a cd isn't reflective, it's always been opaque and fills the whole cd face (possible coverup with the reflection)
-Games are not rated RP-M, they are RP or M, never both.
-the xbox logo nor the bungie logo is not present anywhere (along the inside of the cd ring there's supposed to be an xbox seal of authenticity, as well, not present).
-there are no traces of brilliant light reflected off the surface of whatever the cd and 'manual' are sitting on.
-you can see the camera lens reflection on the 'manual' front cover. Through printing, game manuals are made of very thin paper, slightly plasticised. Not enough to create that kind of sharp reflection.
-All known xbox disks have that signature black quarter cresent that has the xbox logo on it. this disk obviously doesn't have it.
-the two character seems to be blurred out by a smudge and covered by the light. Mostly because it's not the real 2 used in official game logos.
-The light edges on the cd looks as though they've been spraypainted using oh I don't know... MS Paint?
-The "exclusive" text is not the official 'Only on Xbox' stamp that comes with Xbox Exclusives
-if you look closely enough, just under the Halo 2 logo, the fine print has a bit of profanity in it. (hint: look at the fourth word of the top line)
-On xbox ntfs disks, the colour eminating from the reflective layer are always highly distinguishable (not so much blending) and the colour comes in wide patches (when you have a wan angled cd with the light). The red usually is on the outside and the purple on the inside. So the colours follow the direction of the tracks. however, on the disk in question, the colours are not properly alligned to the writing that is on the disk. The only time when a cd's reflective colour is similar to the photo presented there, is when a cd is blank.

*takes a bow* And there you have it. My complete analysis of that picture :D

E Nomini Patri
06-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Nice try, but I have that exact CD and cardboard holder. I got it at Best Buy with a controller. The RP is because the game isn't out yet. The rest looks exactly like what I have. It isn't the actual game, but it isn't a fake either.

;)

l Maximus l
06-01-2004, 10:19 PM
I gaurantee that someone actually bid $99,999,999.00 because they knew it was a fake and they knew that they wouldn't have to pay for it.

E Nomini Patri
06-01-2004, 11:56 PM
I gaurantee that someone actually bid $99,999,999.00 because they knew it was a fake and they knew that they wouldn't have to pay for it.

It was the guy that made the auction. He created a bunch of new profiles and bid on it by the 50's and 100's.

l Maximus l
06-02-2004, 01:25 AM
It was the guy that made the auction. He created a bunch of new profiles and bid on it by the 50's and 100's.

Geez...that dude needs to get a life. :rolleyes:

GuiltySpark
06-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Wow this is slightly amusing. There's so many eBay scams these days, I don't even use it anymore because of the number of times that I have been scammed.