PDA

View Full Version : Why did M$ stop making the standard Xbox Controller?

Holt88
06-01-2004, 06:30 PM
I went to every store here, and I finally got to GameStop where they said M$ doesn't make them anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am stuck with the S-Controller!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why? Why? Why? Is there any reason for this? I could have gotten a used one but I'd rather have a new one instead, nooooooooooooooooooooo.

Darkside
06-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Its because people have weak little hands and didn't like the original

you can always check on ebay for a original though

LynxFX
06-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Because they are pussies and caved to the playstation carpal tunnel enducing standard instead of sticking to their guns with the best controller ever made.

I still groan every time I load up a game and see a button map of only the s-controller. :rolleyes:

Variation-XBA
06-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Can't stand the S controller and I'll never switch over. They are still made but not really, its usually whatever stores have backstock.

No Fear 23
06-01-2004, 07:53 PM
i still cant stand the s controller...i tried to get my hands to love them.

i basically have 2 brand new controller S that i want to get rid of for the DUKE

LiquidX
06-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Personally I can use both with no problems. I play just as well with both and dont get and hand cramps or crap like that from either.

ShannonX
06-01-2004, 08:23 PM
yeah, i get cramps in my hands when playing with the S controller, its just to small for my hands. And i agree with lynx that the original was the best controller ever made, maybe a little work on the button placement would have been nice, but still much better than the baby sized s controller.

DolfanPlaya
06-01-2004, 08:43 PM
You can still buy the original xbox controller used at Gamestop.

Holt88
06-01-2004, 08:56 PM
There has to be some place on the net selling them, and not used.

Holt88
06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Here's what I found from another board.

Because the "S" controller is now the standard controller.
Microsoft announced this some time ago. The S controller is packaged with all new systems.
The original larger controller left production last year and will disappear once the current stock is sold.

Stormlord
06-01-2004, 10:01 PM
MS wanted to appeal to the PS2 people cause 'Duke' was too much to handle. Unfortunatley one of my Dukes broke and I only have 1 now. I now use the S controller cause I'm afraid of losing the extinct controller.

l Maximus l
06-01-2004, 10:24 PM
bah...I can't stand the S-Controller... Fortunately, I have 4 Dukes and 2 S-Types since my friends seem to favor the S-Type. Those 4 Dukes should last me the duration of XBox...hopefully.

I know of a store that still sells the Duke...mainly because they purchased a ton of them and are slowly selling them away. I may just have to buy one and keep it in the packaging. I've discovered that the wires, if wrapped around the controller, tend to tear very easily if the wire is bent too far...near the controller side of the wire.

GRAVEDIGGER
06-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Yea, like most of you i think the Controller S is terrible. Its So dam small! Thank God i got 2 of the original controllers just for emergencies such as this:cool:

Variation-XBA
06-02-2004, 01:32 AM
I got 4 of the Controller F's (fatty's) and I prey they dont break >_<

Sigma
06-02-2004, 02:06 AM
I hate the duke controller it's too damn big and the button placement sucks ass (the face buttons are too small and close). The only thing I like better on the duke is the start and select buttons placement other then that I hate the duke. I love the S-Controller though it fits my hands nicely and the face buttons are placed nicely on the controller.

l Maximus l
06-02-2004, 02:20 AM
I hate the duke controller it's too damn big and the button placement sucks ass (the face buttons are too small and close). The only thing I like better on the duke is the start and select buttons placement other then that I hate the duke. I love the S-Controller though it fits my hands nicely and the face buttons are placed nicely on the controller.

Keep in mind that having small hands means that you have a small....... :yikes:

Sigma
06-02-2004, 03:20 AM
Keep in mind that having small hands means that you have a small....... :yikes:
Glove size?

And my hands aren't that small I just don't like the duke.

BananaMan
06-02-2004, 03:43 AM
I use to love the dukes. But the analog sticks went out on one that I had and I got converted to S's because they didn't have any dukes in.

SoundX
06-02-2004, 06:54 AM
I have three of both, and can't really decide which one I like the most.

Depends what I'm playing really, I mean, the duke was so bad for playing beat em ups with and stuff. So I use a S for that, but for Halo and FPS, the duke just feels more, ... right.

silvertrace
06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
for a fps i prefer an S, mainly for the proximity of the D-pad and the analogs have smoother tops, allowing for more control....

the duke is good for sports games and stuff like that were precision isnt as much of an issue, and i used to play exclusively with a duke until i played halo with an S and i realized how many headshots i was getting based on the smoothness of the analogs

Cryogenic Pyro
06-02-2004, 08:52 AM
I personally prefer the S, and I've never gotten a hand cramp playing the Xbox. Not once. I'm probably superhuman though.

Hard Boiled Cop
06-02-2004, 09:44 AM
I prefer the big ones cos it has a better feel. Its smooth and comfortable. Best for playing any fps games.

Caesar SYN
06-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Only advantage to the Duke is the placement of White and Black buttons.. on the the S it is kinda pointless to try to use the underside of the knouckle in my thumb to press them so I do not have to come off the main buttons and other controls.. they are a little well misplaced on the S... but the S is much smoother and a more well balanced controller....

-Natas-
06-02-2004, 11:41 AM
I was so happy when the S controller was released as I hated that big controller (duke) and if they had not made the S controller I would not own either one of my Xbox's. It is a shame they stopped making the Duke cause I know there is a few people that still like those huge controllers but M$ have to go with what makes all the cash so they axed the Duke. :yikes:

scrotemus
06-03-2004, 03:46 PM
i guess alot of you guys are basketball players because that original controller is craptastic! you would think that with such big hands you would be mashing those wee little buttons that are cramped together all at the same time. big and crappy IMHO - give me my wavebird anyday lol

severd hed
06-04-2004, 11:04 AM
If i had to choose between the two, i prefer the Duke. it just fits my hands better. i do switch back and forth, depending on which game I am playing. i like the analog sticks, triggers, and black/white, start, and back button locations on the duke..but the S has a better D pad and i like the wider spaced, flatter buttons. so i often change depending on what i play. i have 4 duke controllers that i purchased when i got my first xbox at launch. i then purchased an S when they were first released. i late found one of the japanese ones at EB (with the bright green jewel) so i picked it up too. then when i bought my green Halo xbox, it came with the translucent green S controller withthe Halo logo, so i then had to buy an additional green S controller to bring my collection to 4 of each.

ScorpionX
06-04-2004, 11:29 AM
The Japanese S controller is easily the best controller for the xbox. It has better grip on the control sticks and the triggers don't wear out as bad as the regular one. The jewel is also a lot nicer :)

HaloFreak29
06-04-2004, 08:32 PM
lucky for u guys i never got to hold or see the original xbox controler :(

Professor Kaos
06-06-2004, 12:15 AM
The Japanese S controller is easily the best controller for the xbox. It has better grip on the control sticks and the triggers don't wear out as bad as the regular one. The jewel is also a lot nicer :)
I totally agree with you. :cool:

S37H
06-06-2004, 12:20 AM
The "S" feels like holding onto 2 dowels, with a slat in between the dowels. Reminds me of NES controller but worse.

LiquidX
06-06-2004, 10:09 AM
i guess alot of you guys are basketball players because that original controller is craptastic! you would think that with such big hands you would be mashing those wee little buttons that are cramped together all at the same time. big and crappy IMHO - give me my wavebird anyday lol

Oh yeah... lets use a controller with buttons that look like kidney beans, an analog that is a different size that the other (rendering it virtually useless), and triggers that couldnt be used for an FPS if your life depended on it. :rolleyes:

CyborgMunky
06-06-2004, 10:15 AM
I have 3 controller S's and 1 duke. The duke is pretty much brand new since I never use it. It just sits there.

Duke
06-06-2004, 10:38 AM
and triggers that couldnt be used for an FPS if your life depended on it. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

The S actually bother me too much for most game types, but for FPS, I'll use the duke or just not play.

StevXtreme
06-06-2004, 10:48 AM
I bought my X with the ''S'' and never had the chance to test the ''Duke'' :confused: , but I think that the ''S'' is much better because of its analog precision and Msize. But don't dare to compare the S to the PS controller :watchout: !

ghost 009
06-06-2004, 11:28 AM
I went to every store here, and I finally got to GameStop where they said M$ doesn't make them anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am stuck with the S-Controller!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why? Why? Why? Is there any reason for this? I could have gotten a used one but I'd rather have a new one instead, nooooooooooooooooooooo.
hey I know what you mean. A long time ago 1000 miles away I got my xbox fo christmas, it never came with the regular controller. I was soo pissed because I hate those small gamecubey looking pieces of **** I went to buy one. Then I also bought Halo. Now I'm happy and I never use the s-controller. Seriously though I would never use the s-controller.