PDA

View Full Version : FSW Review

TheWheelMan
06-02-2004, 02:39 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/strategy/fullspectrumwarrior/review.html it got 7.7 but it really doesnt sound that good at all

Shadow20002
06-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Give it a try...:)

JJaX
06-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Wow, gamespot gave an Xbox game a low score??!?!?! Thats insane!

IGN gave it a 9.2, and from the reader reviews, it sounds pretty awesome.

I bout it early today, I'm going to be playing it tonight. Ill be my own judge.

TheWheelMan
06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I dont plan on buying or renting it

JJaX
06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Sucks for you...

Im glad people can still form their own opinion based on others reviews.

TheWheelMan
06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
no it dosent sucks for me cause ill be saving money on a game im totally not interested in, dosent have the greatest gameplay, is short, and barely has any replay value....... im getting DRIV3R, psi-ops, and hopefully another sweet game over the summer

CRAYMAN
06-02-2004, 04:00 PM
This apparently is the writers main beef:
"Taking out entrenched enemies is what Full Spectrum Warrior boils down to, but the process very quickly becomes routine and it ceases to feel risky or dangerous despite the authentic-looking presentation. Also, since the levels are scripted to play out basically the same way each time, with predetermined enemy placements and mostly clear-cut paths to objective points, thwarting enemy ambushes becomes more of a matter of trial and error than skill and planning."

I think the replay value may be limited by this very thing.

Mt dad might like it though.

Anthony4sho
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Umm that guy doesn't kno what he is talking about. The review at IGN said that the enemy locations will reset every time you go through a level.

Something's fishy there. Rid**** gets a 9.3 and this gets a 7.7? I mean Rid**** is good but better then FSW......I don't think so.

TheWheelMan
06-02-2004, 04:44 PM
rid**** is sooooo much better then this :argue1:

hebgbz
06-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Actually, I just read the IGN review and the reviewer states that one of the things he would have liked to have seen is that the enemies are randomly generated each time you play. Implying that they are not and are scripted to be in the same place doing the same thing each time. That does not bode well for replay in my book. But we'll see what someone says who actually attempts a mission the second time. But if what the reviewer implied be true, then that is not the greatest news imo. Should still be fun and all and be a very innovative game, but does that make it worth 50 bones to only really have a one-time through single player? That's for each to decide for themselves I guess.

TheWheelMan
06-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Thank you! :hail:

CRAYMAN
06-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Umm that guy doesn't kno what he is talking about. The review at IGN said that the enemy locations will reset every time you go through a level.

Something's fishy there. Rid**** gets a 9.3 and this gets a 7.7? I mean Rid**** is good but better then FSW......I don't think so.

Everyone else has given FSW high marks.
I can say that Rid**** IS better than FSW.
Now, Rid**** may not be as appealing to some gamers as FSW, but it STILL should be rated a better game.

I just got Rid**** today! :p

Sheeyt
06-03-2004, 10:52 AM
The Gamespot review is retarded. The guy *****es about not being able to go into buildings, or get into vehicles. Come on they look for anything they can to ***** about on xbox exclusive games that receive even the littlest bit of hype.

Duke
06-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Actually, I just read the IGN review and the reviewer states that one of the things he would have liked to have seen is that the enemies are randomly generated each time you play. Implying that they are not and are scripted to be in the same place doing the same thing each time. That does not bode well for replay in my book. But we'll see what someone says who actually attempts a mission the second time. But if what the reviewer implied be true, then that is not the greatest news imo. Should still be fun and all and be a very innovative game, but does that make it worth 50 bones to only really have a one-time through single player? That's for each to decide for themselves I guess.

Eh, online co-op should help out replay value. But since I've yet to try it, not sure.

TheWheelMan
06-03-2004, 11:10 AM
The review said co-op is you getting only half the work you had to do in single player cause the game apperently does alot of things for you......your just running between walls and throwing grenedes.......it really doesnt sound fun :watchout:

Duke
06-03-2004, 11:21 AM
The review said co-op is you getting only half the work you had to do in single player cause the game apperently does alot of things for you......your just running between walls and throwing grenedes.......it really doesnt sound fun :watchout:

eh, who knows. there are always different routes to take etc. Honestly, when I first heard (lo those many many months ago) that this would be a command oriented game as opposed to an FPS, I was kinda turned off. But, hasn't bothered me at all since I've started playing.

Sheeyt
06-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Man if I took everything that Gamespot said as gospel as far as reviews go, I'd only own like two Xbox games.

TheWheelMan
06-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Well what site do you suggest i use more for reviews??? and what mag do you read i get OXM but i found that there reviews are alittle flipsy......???

CRAYMAN
06-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Well what site do you suggest i use more for reviews??? and what mag do you read i get OXM but i found that there reviews are alittle flipsy......???

Look for mag's and sites that review all consoles and PC games, not just one.

TheWheelMan
06-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Gamespot does review everything

CRAYMAN
06-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Gamespot does review everything

It's not a rule, but a guideline. The majority are giving it high marks.

thrAsher
06-03-2004, 01:26 PM
If you go to one source for your gaming news and reviews, you're hurting yourself. If I'm really interested in a game, I read all the reviews I can get my hands on to get an idea of the game. And if you're too lazy to do that, check out www.rottentomatoes.com and look in their 'Games' section. They do a pretty good job of gathering reviews from both the internet as well as print media to give you an overall idea of what people are saying.

I'm currently holding off on buying any new games. I've got too many I haven't finished as it is, but would like to hear more impressions about FSW as well as Rid**** and Thief Deadly Shadows...

Sheeyt
06-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Rent the game first if you are unsure. Reviews are based on someones personal opinion which could differ greatly from your own.

TheWheelMan
06-03-2004, 01:32 PM
My own is that i dont want to rent the game cause im just not interested ill be sticking to DRIV3R, psi-ops and i still have to get true crimes.......and yes i have played it and its such a fun game i love it :hail:

FragMaster B
06-03-2004, 05:09 PM
If you go to one source for your gaming news and reviews, you're hurting yourself. If I'm really interested in a game, I read all the reviews I can get my hands on to get an idea of the game.

Ditto. I use MetaCritic...

http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbx

Dyslexic Chaos
06-06-2004, 06:07 PM
To be honest, and this is of course only IMHO, this game is a great rental, but definatley not worth BUYING. It may seem like it'd be exciting and vary alot, but it really doesn't. IMO, tetris has more gameplay variety. I compare the two because they ARE puzzle games, but the answer to all of FSW's puzzles is always the same...:

problem: Entrenched enemy.
solution: take the other team (bravo in this example), go around or beside the enemy,all the way, having Alpha keeping the enemy occupied but firing at them (although suppressing fire is just a waste of ammo, regular attack is fine) and flank them. Or you could just grenade them, either way.

It'd be much beter if the enemies were, like has been said, random, but they aren't. I am on the 4th real mission and this is all I've seen so far, entrenched enemy, flank them, entrenched, flank, entrenched, flank etc. etc.. Xbox Live is alright, but nothing to write home about. you only control one squad, so instead of telling the other team what to do via the controls, you tell another player what you want to do, which is usually obvious (entrenched, flank etc.). i give it a 7.0/10 becuae of the rental value. If you can fool yourself to thinking many situations are different then this one, or the game just *clicks* for you, by all means buy it. I can certainly see how someone might enjoy it, but me, well... not so much.

BananaMan
06-06-2004, 06:26 PM
I agree with jerred...this game is ok to rent(which i did) I really don't care for it too much, it's repetitive to me. Like he said entrenched enemies, flank them. It's like that on all the levels, same thing different place.....But sometimes i do get a little laugh or two out of some of the comments of the soldiers..."This is just like the hood mo****a, they be shootin at my ass but i can't shoot back"