PDA

View Full Version : True Fantasy Live Online CANCELLED

Variation-XBA
06-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Development on True Fantasy Live Online for the Xbox has been halted, publisher Microsoft and developer Level 5 revealed via a press release issued today. The game, originally scheduled for Japanese beta test in the Summer and release some time this Fall will no longer see the light outside of the Level 5 development studios.

As for reasons for the cancellation, the press release stated, "Development was continuing for a release this Winter, but we still did not see progress towards a state that would deliver a new form of Online experience to users, so we regretfully decided to stop development."
Level 5 president Akihiro Hino posted a few comments on the cancellation at the company's website. "The game had been showcased to the media, the world of TFLO was already complete, and within it, it was possible to live a virtual life to a degree," comments Hino. He continues, "We continued development with the aim of making a network game that we ourselves would want to play. However, development required more time than expected, and as a result, the amount of time people would be able to play slipped considerably."

Following an apology, Hino continues, "Taking this as a lesson, we will polish our development capabilities and continue to take new challenges. We hope that you will support us."

True Fantasy Live Online, announced at E3 two years ago, was meant to be one of Xbox Live's killer apps for the Japanese market. With a well-known developer (Factor 5 is currently development Dragon Quest VIII, likely to be the biggest selling title of this generation in Japan) and some tantalizing trailer footage, many were eagerly anticipating the massively multiplayer Online RPG's release. Although appearing, to good review, in playable form at last year's Tokyo Game Show, delays took the title away from its original Japanese release this Summer.

We expect clarification into the cancellation to come from Microsoft Japan at its upcoming Summer press briefing, scheduled for some time in the next few weeks.

IGN Link (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/520/520861p1.html)

Bad news for all of that were looking forward to a promicing game. News is from IGN.

On another odd note, Malice shipped, but the publisher didnt tell anyone really and it just kinda "showed up" in stores.

Sigh....

BananaMan
06-03-2004, 02:18 AM
That sucks. I don't really care for RPG's and all that but in a way I was sorta looking forward to this one.

Variation-XBA
06-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Would have really helped the Japanese market for them too =/

Anthony4sho
06-03-2004, 05:51 AM
As far as I heard this game was supposed to be another Killer RPG for the xbox. Too bad it got cancelled.

shapoopy
06-03-2004, 06:28 AM
ERRRRRRRRRR! :cuss:

DAMN!
I was looking toward it DMAN!!

Sheeyt
06-03-2004, 07:46 AM
I guess thats the reason it was a no show at E3. The game had so much potential, I was really looking forward to it.

cheedoh
06-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Damn, that sucks. :(

Yankeez
06-03-2004, 05:43 PM
I guess thats the reason it was a no show at E3. The game had so much potential, I was really looking forward to it.

yep i had a feeling it was thrown out after noticng no signs of it at e3 :cry:

No Fear 23
06-03-2004, 05:47 PM
well, i never liked rpg. i rather play halo 2.

RockTheCasba
06-03-2004, 06:06 PM
that sux. oh well we still got Fable *crosses fingers*

CRAYMAN
06-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Would have really helped the Japanese market for them too =/

Not if it suxed.

l Maximus l
06-03-2004, 07:24 PM
I heard about this yesterday...no big deal to me since I'm not an RPG fan...but, this sort of thing happens all the time...plans for games and then scrapping projects.

We're all used to this sort of stuff...

Wolfgame
06-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Please, rest in peace.

LynxFX
06-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Watched it behind closed doors at last years E3 and it sucked. Practically put me to sleep. I don't see this as a loss to Xbox gamers at all. There are much better games on the horizon that will fill any void that TFLO would have made....if at all.

Cryogenic Pyro
06-04-2004, 09:02 AM
If you guys are waiting for an MMORPG, check out Citizen Zero. That's one game I know of for the Xbox that is supposed to be one.

Wolfgame
06-04-2004, 09:08 AM
I've decidied I will pick up my self from this awful news and look forawrd to EQ 2