PDA

View Full Version : LAN Question

Floodman
06-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Quickly, I'm at a friends party right now, and we need to hook up two xboxes. I thought i could just hook them up with a hub and a couple of cables, but it didnt work. Do i have to have a crossover cable?

Chaotic
06-04-2004, 09:38 PM
umm, you need to assign them IP address's unless your using a router with DHCP built in.. If not just make up the IP address's... If your using only 2 xbox's then you will need a crossover cable.. If your using a hub with 2 xbox's you will need straight through cables...

So on each xbox for example use

xbox 1 = 192.168.1.1
xbox 2 = 192.168.1.2
xbox 3 = 192.168.1.3

mrmp3
06-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Well it's probably to late to answer but for it to work you need:

-2 systems
-2 copies of Halo (what else would u be playing on LAN?)
-2 TV's
-1 Hub/Switch/Router
-2 straight-thru cables

So you got the TV's and system setup. One thing I didn't do was make sure the Hub had POWER! There was a power pack but it really wouldn't stay in the outlet we had it in so system link would come up but then disappear and we had no idea why. Assigning IP's isn't necessary for a hub. A hub merely splits the connection and each port doesn't require it's own IP address. If the hub setup isn't working, make sure the green light is on in both ports the cables are plugged in to. For the most part you'll just have a bad cable and need to replace it. The easiest way to go though is get a crossover cable and just hook it from one Xbox to the other. No hubs/switches/routers required.

Chaotic
06-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Maybe the xbox is diffrent but anytime you use a hub or switch without anytype of dhcp or statically assigned IP address's nothing is going to work because each device will be defaulted to a ROGUE IP addy... and just because the hub splits the connections has nothing to do with wether it needs an assigned IP or not....

SoundX
06-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Can't you just link two xbox's without a hub? I've been doing it for years with a standard cable I got for 3 pound.

Speaking of LAN Parties, I'm having one tomorrow. Everyone is gonna chip in a fiver and the overall winner gets all the cash. About 40 pounds. Hehe, I've been playing Halo the longest out of all of my mates so hopefuly I'll win. There are a few who have also completed it on Legandary but they have no idea about a few little tricks I know in Blood Gutch and stuff.

Mhahahahhahaha.. lol

Chaotic
06-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Can't you just link two xbox's without a hub? I've been doing it for years with a standard cable I got for 3 pound.

Speaking of LAN Parties, I'm having one tomorrow. Everyone is gonna chip in a fiver and the overall winner gets all the cash. About 40 pounds. Hehe, I've been playing Halo the longest out of all of my mates so hopefuly I'll win. There are a few who have also completed it on Legandary but they have no idea about a few little tricks I know in Blood Gutch and stuff.

Mhahahahhahaha.. lol

yes, if your only linking two xbox's then all you need is a crossover cable between the two...

mrmp3
06-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Maybe the xbox is diffrent but anytime you use a hub or switch without anytype of dhcp or statically assigned IP address's nothing is going to work because each device will be defaulted to a ROGUE IP addy... and just because the hub splits the connections has nothing to do with wether it needs an assigned IP or not....

OSI Layer Model:

Layer 3- Routers, IP addresses (Network)
Layer 2- Switches, MAC Addresses (Data Link)
Layer 1- Hubs, Cables, no assigning of addresses. (Physical)

Nuff' said.

Floodman
06-05-2004, 06:26 PM
I think the easiest thing I could do is just go out and get a crossover cable. :cheers:

rpgreligion
06-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Yep. For 2 xboxes just got a standard ethernet crossover cable.

Floodman
06-05-2004, 06:45 PM
By the way, I have some best buy dollars. How much does the microsoft brand crossover cable cost?

ScorpionX
06-05-2004, 09:01 PM
15 bucks

link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806694438&productCategoryId=cat08132&type=product)

:cool:

Floodman
06-05-2004, 09:04 PM
15 bucks? I'm there! :hump:

Chaotic
06-06-2004, 01:15 AM
OSI Layer Model:

Nuff' said.

Glad you looked that up...:rofl:

Again I stand by what i said....

So if we go by what you said for example your saying you can take 3 pc's with 3 NIC's and hook them all up via a HUB and they will all communicate with each other without assigning the machines an IP address? :rofl: maybe learn a little about networking before looking up the OSI layer model and not understanding it....

Caesar SYN
06-06-2004, 01:25 AM
OSI Layer Model:

Nuff' said.

I dont get it?

'Nuff Said...

EDITED: And I think Magey sums it up... makes sense to me...

l Maximus l
06-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Honestly, it's not as complicated as things sound. If you're hooking up to XBoxes directly, you just use a Crossover cable.

If you're using a HUB, simply use patch cables. If you want to hook a third or fourth XBox, again, just add patch cables.

SoundX
06-06-2004, 12:54 PM
15 bucks? I'm there! :hump:

I got mine for £2.50 :D

mrmp3
06-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Glad you looked that up...:rofl:

Again I stand by what i said....

So if we go by what you said for example your saying you can take 3 pc's with 3 NIC's and hook them all up via a HUB and they will all communicate with each other without assigning the machines an IP address? :rofl: maybe learn a little about networking before looking up the OSI layer model and not understanding it....

No need to be a smart ass know it all. I wasn't trying to be insulting in anyway.

You keep talking about PC's and that is correct. But Xbox it's different.

For Windows XP: Local Area Connection Properties --> TCP/IP --> Properties --> Assign the IP and subnet.

On Xbox: Go to...umm...There isn't a way to change it! And if XBC is correct, for all system link games, the ip is 0.0.0.1 or maybe for each additional system it goes 0.0.0.2 , 0.0.0.3 etc. but the fact is you can't MANUALLY change the IP on an Xbox. Those settings in XBL are there for a reason. They don't effect LAN play at all.

Chaotic
06-06-2004, 10:51 PM
No need to be a smart ass know it all. I wasn't trying to be insulting in anyway.

You keep talking about PC's and that is correct. But Xbox it's different.

For Windows XP: Local Area Connection Properties --> TCP/IP --> Properties --> Assign the IP and subnet.

On Xbox: Go to...umm...There isn't a way to change it! And if XBC is correct, for all system link games, the ip is 0.0.0.1 or maybe for each additional system it goes 0.0.0.2 , 0.0.0.3 etc. but the fact is you can't MANUALLY change the IP on an Xbox. Those settings in XBL are there for a reason. They don't effect LAN play at all.

I'm not being a smart ass about (but i do know most of it) but for you to go and post the OSI layer made me laugh because it has nothing to do with what question was asked. You're just trying to act like you know what your talking about... and yes there is a way to manually configure your IP settings....

Enough of this, case closed... :bang:

Caesar SYN
06-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Uhhmm... again Magey is right you can manually set the IP Address, DNS Server, etc on the XBOX...

oh and yes it is a computer just not a PC, but has ability to be configured just like a PC, only through a different interface or medium if you will...

Brutus
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I got mine for £2.50 :D
WHAT'S A POUND!?

mrmp3
06-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Alright Chaotic's my apologies. I misread your first post. I've only taken Cisco for a little while (as it shows) but when you said use DHCP on a hub, that's why I posted the OSI Layer model. Layer 1 doesn't have protocols but you were referring to routers. So my apologies.

As for changing the IP address though on the Xbox, how do you do it (w/o using the XBL options)?

Chaotic
06-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Alright Chaotic's my apologies. I misread your first post. I've only taken Cisco for a little while (as it shows) but when you said use DHCP on a hub, that's why I posted the OSI Layer model. Layer 1 doesn't have protocols but you were referring to routers. So my apologies.

As for changing the IP address though on the Xbox, how do you do it (w/o using the XBL options)?

Oh i see what your saying... You thought i said to assign the IP address's to the HUB and not the xbox's :confused: Either way i just packed my xbox away since i'm moving on wednesday and i don't remember off the top of my head but it's relatively easy to change... If someone else doesn't chime in and tell you I will let you know by the end of the week...