PDA

View Full Version : Buying Games

SoundX
06-07-2004, 11:50 AM
I was just wondering how you guys buy games, kind of a weird question I guess, but meh..

I used to by games as soon as the came out just by looking at the box and deciding, but I've had some pritty bad luck over the years so I think I'm gonna start renting before I buy, even if a review says it's good (KOTOR for instance, I actualy hate it) I need my own opinion really..

Brutus
06-07-2004, 12:07 PM
You forgot some of the most important aspects of the game buying decisions. Have we got our hands on a playable demo?! Have we seen a demo?
Publisher? Sure. If Bungie released a different shooter, I'd buy that one too. You don't see me playing Myst though.
Ubi Soft without guns in them would be really corny. I don't even like PoP.
Oh yeah, we've all done this: Let me try out that game; you like it you buy it.
Sorry to rain on the parade but there's a million reasons why I buy the games I buy and I can't decide, 1 through 4.

silvertrace
06-07-2004, 12:08 PM
i've been burned by quite a few xbox titles, Unreal II, NBA2k4, GR:IT

so i actually play the game or wait for the overwhelming response from friends

its funny, but as a kid i remember playing nothing but 1player games, but now i refuse to purchase a game unless i can rape kids all over the country......

ahhhhh, i just shed a tear thinking about halo2.....r u ready b1tches?

jelgiad
06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Like Brutus said, it all depends. Ubi-soft games i buy on faith that they will be good, as i will w/ bungie (as long as halo 2 dosent change that). Most of the time i will buy sequels w/o playing it. Anything else, i like to either rent/play a demo of so i dont waste my money on a crappy game.

LiquidX
06-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Usually I'll read a couple reviews and go out and buy the game if it appeals to me. Rarely do I buy a game because I played a demo. Of course there have been a few times in which I bought a game because of mass hype (Brute force and ETM) and get totally pissed... Live and learn.

Slowride
06-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Reading reviews doesn't always work. Like SC. Man I hate that game. You just gotta know what kind of games you like, read user reviews and go from there. Also if a game is part of a franchise like ncaa 2005 or sumthin then u know you'll like it.

Professor Kaos
06-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Read reviews, watch the trailers, input from friends, demos and other things I can't think of right now.

Brutus
06-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Reading reviews doesn't always work. Like SC. Man I hate that game. You just gotta know what kind of games you like, read user reviews and go from there. Also if a game is part of a franchise like ncaa 2005 or sumthin then u know you'll like it.
Splinter Cell or Soul Caliber? I liked both.
Both have High Production Values and Replay. That's basically what the reviews focus on. You also have to look at it as far as: Which games are meant for you? What's your style of game, Champ?

CRAYMAN
06-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Read reviews! Not only from game magazines and game sites, but USER reviews as well. Then consider if it is a genre you like.
For example, I purchased KOTOR because I heard a LOT of good things about it, but after 1-2 hours of playing it, I was still bored. So for the most part, stick to your areas of interest.
However, if a game is supposed to be incredible by most sources, give it a try even if it's not what you typically enjoy. Halo converted a lot of non-FPS fans and I'll probably buy Fable when it's released, if it's half the game it's supposed to be even though I didn't like Morrowind.
I don't like renting, because it puts me under a time constraint. If I had rented Ninja Gaiden, I would have returned it, never knowing it's greatness. I would not have persevered through the tough areas.
Don't rent, unless it's a short, easy game.

Brutus
06-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Read reviews! Not only from game magazines and game sites, but USER reviews as well. Then consider if it is a genre you like.
For example, I purchased KOTOR because I heard a LOT of good things about it, but after 1-2 hours of playing it, I was still bored. So for the most part, stick to your areas of interest.
However, if a game is supposed to be incredible by most sources, give it a try even if it's not what you typically enjoy. Halo converted a lot of non-FPS fans and I'll probably buy Fable when it's released, if it's half the game it's supposed to be even though I didn't like Morrowind.
I don't like renting, because it puts me under a time constraint. If I had rented Ninja Gaiden, I would have returned it, never knowing it's greatness. I would not have persevered through the tough areas.
Don't rent, unless it's a short, easy game.
Good Point, CRAYMAN!

CRAYMAN
06-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks, Brutus! (every now and then I have one)

GuiltySpark
06-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Yeah I have subscriptions to about four gaming magazines. Most of the time I just average the scores on the game and if it is high enough then I will buy it.