PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Xbox Read CD-R's? help.. ?

MaxPain
06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
When I put a CD-R in it doesn't read. It does nothing, saying it cant recognize. It is a launch xbox with a thompson drive. Any suggestions?

Darkside
06-08-2004, 01:12 AM
I do not think that Xbox plays cd-r's but for some reason it can play DVD-R

Yankeez
06-08-2004, 01:31 AM
the thomson wont read cdr but will read cdrw (made like that on purpose)

my samsung reads cdrw and cdr

MaxPain
06-08-2004, 02:16 AM
the thomson wont read cdr but will read cdrw (made like that on purpose)

my samsung reads cdrw and cdr

figures... thanks :bang:

HaloFreak29
06-08-2004, 12:41 PM
no dvd rom on xbox can read cd-r or dvd-r but the samsung (some philips can)

besides samsung= faster loading can read all burned discs

BananaMan
06-08-2004, 12:46 PM
So samsun is truly a better drive than a launch? I might trade in my launch and get a samsung one.

Darkside
06-08-2004, 01:22 PM
hmmm I got a thompson. crud.
it plays cd-rw's though hmmm

jelgiad
06-08-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure what drive is in my new box, but i know it plays dvd-r's. I havent tried a cd-r or cd-rw yet

-Natas-
06-08-2004, 02:41 PM
My Thomson (v1.0 xbox) reads audio cd-r's but my Halo SE (v1.4 xbox) with a Phillips does not. As for the samsung drives being better that is not completely true as I know people who have had more problems getting a samsung to read discs that a Thomson and Phillips could read. All the drives are made a little different as you could have 5 samsungs and they all not read the same disc (if it was burnt). My Thomson will read any type of media I throw at it and I have not modded the drive at all. I also do not see any speed loading difference between a Halo SE xbox with a Phillips and a Halo SE xbox with a Samsung as my friend has both and we ran tests. They loaded pretty much at the same speed (the samsung was about a half a sec faster). I do not think that the Samsung drives are as great as everyone makes them out to be. I was going to get another xbox with a Samsung drive but after running those tests at my friends house I see no point in getting one. Both the drives I have in my xbox's now work great and it is a bummer that the Phillips will not read audio cd-r's but it plays store bought audio discs and xbox games just fine which is really all that matters. :D

BTW, you can tell what drive you have from either opening the drive and looking at the tray as each brand has a different style tray. Or you can check the last 2 digits of the serial number. Thomson Drive = 02 , Phillips Drive = 05, and a Samsung drive = 06.

LiquidX
06-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Or if you really dont wanna mess with CD-RW's you can get the Xbox Music Mixer... it transfers music directly from your Windows XP PC to your Xbox. OK deal for the price. Isn't it like $20 now?

AlphaCigara
06-08-2004, 04:46 PM
My Samsung Xbox reads CD-R's :cheers:

It's good for transferring those, err, back up cds from my pc to xbox :)

HaloFreak29
06-08-2004, 07:28 PM
eh calm down its just something someone told me on the xbox boards lol

Yankeez
06-08-2004, 07:37 PM
hmmm I got a thompson. crud.
it plays cd-rw's though hmmm

there made to read cdrw

SoundX
06-09-2004, 09:45 AM
When I put a CD-R in it doesn't read. It does nothing, saying it cant recognize. It is a launch xbox with a thompson drive. Any suggestions?

Launch and Thompson in the same sentance is bad news dude, no it won't read CD-R's, or anything else for that matter, except for DVD-R (my thompson is modded mind) so it might not.

Anyway, yeah, watch out with that drive, it can be very annoying, but if you haven't had any problems before it's one of the lucky drives that didn't screw up ;)

StevXtreme
06-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I bought my Xbox with Halo and Midtown Madness 3 and it doesn't read CD-R :bang: . Can anyone tell me what type of reader I have and do I get it to work? :(

MaxPain
06-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Launch and Thompson in the same sentance is bad news dude, no it won't read CD-R's, or anything else for that matter, except for DVD-R (my thompson is modded mind) so it might not.

Anyway, yeah, watch out with that drive, it can be very annoying, but if you haven't had any problems before it's one of the lucky drives that didn't screw up ;)

Launch and Thompson in the same sentence is definetly BAD NEWS. from the day I got it I had probs loading Halo. To this day I can't play the last level in halo.. it just wont load it.. and i have mad game freezes and dde's.. It's such a pos... :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Frink
06-09-2004, 11:24 PM
None of the drives were "meant" to read any media besides legitimate audio CDs, DVDs, and Xbox games. The Thompson and Phillips read a good amount of DVD media and CD-RWs while the Samsung drive had no problem reading any media. The Samsung drive is merely a slightly modified Samsung 616t PC DVD drive. It was actually pretty standard issue in Dells not to long ago.

SoundX
06-10-2004, 10:28 AM
MS needs to get Samsung to cover all disc trays in the Xbox 2. They just seem like such better quality.

AlphaRaptor
06-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I think if you upgrade to Xbox music mixer you can read music files on a cd-r, or am I wrong?

TuffEagle88
06-10-2004, 10:23 PM
so are the Thompsons that aren't launch alright drives????? I just found out that mine has a Thompson, but I got it a year after it came out, with the
JSRF/Sega GT2002 combo.

StevXtreme
06-11-2004, 03:43 AM
Heloooooo! Can anybody tell me what kind of reader do I have and can it read (I'm sure it doesn't read CD-Rs)? I repeat: bought the Xbox with Halo and Midtown Madness 3 and 1 Controller S. Now please somebody help me! :cuss:

Heavens Gate
06-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Here guys

http://www.home.no/emus/tutorial/philips_thomson_samsung.jpg

TuffEagle88
06-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Heloooooo! Can anybody tell me what kind of reader do I have and can it read (I'm sure it doesn't read CD-Rs)? I repeat: bought the Xbox with Halo and Midtown Madness 3 and 1 Controller S. Now please somebody help me! :cuss:

hmmmm, someone either (A) doesn't know how to read (B) is way to lazy to read and would rather rant and rave about how no one is blowing his nose for him, or
(C) has such a sad case of n00bism that he has no idea what a serial number is or where it is:

either check your tray for what Heavens Gate posted or look underneith your xbox at the little white tag and look at your serial number like Natas said :
BTW, you can tell what drive you have from either opening the drive and looking at the tray as each brand has a different style tray. Or you can check the last 2 digits of the serial number. Thomson Drive = 02 , Phillips Drive = 05, and a Samsung drive = 06.

StevXtreme
06-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Hehe... :D Ok... I'll look at the last two nr... Thanks!
P.S. :rofl:

gamemizer999
07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Bull ****!!!!!!
My smasung wont read anything burnt!!!

Shadow20002
07-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Xbox can't read Cd-Rs.