PDA

View Full Version : Help with the Drive Tray

thevald
06-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I just got a new Xbox from Circuit City on 06/08/04, when I opened the drive to put a disc in for play I noticed the drive tray has a cut out like a key hole. I have read that the original Xbox machines that have this type of tray also have the (Thompson Drive or Reader). Is this bad? I just sold my old Xbox to another guy since when playing games I would get an error message saying cannot read disc. Should I return this machine to CC Asap?

Please help, I am clueless and don't want to have this same problem.

Duke
06-08-2004, 09:13 PM
The new thompson drives work fine.

Variation-XBA
06-09-2004, 04:51 AM
My thompson drive from launch day works flawlessly, dont knock em! :P

Reclaimer
06-09-2004, 09:23 AM
My thompson drive from launch day works flawlessly, dont knock em! :P

I thought that too, until last month.
The Xbox I bought the day it came out.....

SoundX
06-09-2004, 09:35 AM
My old thompson was heaven for about a year, then it became hell.

I got it fixed (kind of) when I sent it out to be modded, (which meant I could play my games via the hardrive instead of dvd, incase it crops up again)

My Crystal Xbox has a phillips and that's awsome.

I wouldn't worry about what drive you have anymore, they all work fine these days, unless the xbox you just bought has been on the shelf for over a year, i wouldn't worry. :)

HaloFreak29
06-09-2004, 12:30 PM
i cant wait to get mine.... green halo xbox :D

ima have so much fun

5 more days :)

Huckleberry
06-09-2004, 03:03 PM
i'm having weird trouble with my drive tray. i get a rare error with regard to the games themselves, but now the tray is starting to not open all the time. i sometimes have to turn it off and back on to get the tray to eject. i haven't seen anyone else write anything about the drives failing in that way. have you heard of it? don't know whether to wait on the thing to crap out altogether or get it replaced now.

Reclaimer
06-09-2004, 08:57 PM
i'm having weird trouble with my drive tray. i get a rare error with regard to the games themselves, but now the tray is starting to not open all the time. i sometimes have to turn it off and back on to get the tray to eject. i haven't seen anyone else write anything about the drives failing in that way. have you heard of it? don't know whether to wait on the thing to crap out altogether or get it replaced now.

That just sounds like a hardware problem in general. You should really call 1-800-4my-xbox for that one.

BoundBruiser
06-09-2004, 09:14 PM
My Thompson was Hashed a couple days before Christmas, and now I have a beautiful Sumsung. Are you guys sure that the Thompsons are fine now, I bet in a couple of months your box's will be pushing up daisy's(Or sitting collecting a fine dust layer like mine).