PDA

View Full Version : dirty disc error

ghost 009
06-11-2004, 12:45 PM
I've been getting this with rainbow six 3 and sof 2. I'm getting soo pissed off cause I dont do anything to my discs and some of them look scratched up. I remember casper telling me to clean the lens off and I think I know where it is and I rubbed a cotton swab in there but I don't know if I did anything. I dont know what to do and before I buy a $30 disc cleaner I wanna know if it works. -thanks

edited:basically I stop playing a game for a while, try to play it again and it gives me a dirty disc error. I played sp pt for a while then I tried to play rainbow six 3 again, said I had a dirty disc. The last time I played sof 2 it was fine, now it gives me a dirty disc error all the time.

CRAYMAN
06-11-2004, 12:56 PM
That cleaner probably will not help you.

How long have you had your Xbox?

SoundX
So I'm guessing your drive is a thompson?

LiquidX
I tried getting to my eye with a q-tip when my Xbox wouldnt play anything... I couldnt reach it, I kept swabbing the round thing that spins the disc. To clean my eye I had to take my xbox apart and then take the DVD apart. Little rubbing alcohol for the eye on the tip of a Q-tip and it works like new now!

ghost 009
06-11-2004, 12:59 PM
I tried getting to my eye with a q-tip when my Xbox wouldnt play anything... I couldnt reach it, I kept swabbing the round thing that spins the disc. To clean my eye I had to take my xbox apart and then take the DVD apart. Little rubbing alcohol for the eye on the tip of a Q-tip and it works like new now!
ok cool I'm going to try that.

edited:how did you get that open?

ghost 009
06-11-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm so ****ing pissed off right now I wanna ****ing slam my xbox through a window. My friend said that those disc cleaners worked, so I used it thinking that maybe my xbox just wasn't working because of the slightest scratch, WRONG!!!!@ I ****ing used it like 3 times and it is still giving me the dirty mother****ing disc error. Why the **** cant anybody make a good product. I have used the thing for about a year and all of a sudden it is just giving up on rainbow and sof 2, with no scratches on it. I tried reaching in with a q-tip to clean the lens, don't know what the **** happened but it didn't do anything. I couldn't unscrew it because these dumb mother****ers made it so you can't just open it with a normal screwdriver. I'm about ready to buy a ****ing PS2.

HaloFreak29
06-11-2004, 05:20 PM
eh i wouldint ps2 is way slower then xbox man

besides ps2+xbox=same price 150/150 for both of them.....

just buy a new xbox seee if u can get a samsung dvd drive so u wont have to worry

LiquidX
06-11-2004, 06:11 PM
ok cool I'm going to try that.

edited:how did you get that open?

I assume you mean the Xbox. There are screws under each of the pads on the bottom and one under each of the stickers. Total of 6 screws. Once you get them out the case will come off by pulling upwards.

RockTheCasba
06-11-2004, 06:18 PM
just go buy a new xbox :cheers: :hump: thats what i did :hump:

FuNkY mOnK
06-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Someone asked you if you have a thompson drive, first answer this then we'll take it from there.

Shadow20002
06-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Clean it frist then...

ghost 009
06-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I think I can clean it out when I go back to Ohio but my disc drive doesn't look modded, doesn't look like it has the extension thingy. I dont know if anyone knows what that means but I'm not sure what it is (I don't know if it is a Thompson). We have the right tools in Ohio to get it opened. I'm just pissed cause everybody on my friends list plays rainbow and it just starting doing that a month ago. I remember I put some stupid sticker not near the fan but on those vent things, maybe that has something to do with it. It is off now though.

HaloFreak29
06-12-2004, 02:09 PM
thompson has a weird looking U shape in the middle
philips has a lightbulb shape in the middle
samsung has 2 holes at the top of the cd rom

AlBoogy
06-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Butterz, I had the same problem with my first xbox. It started out with a few dde here and there. It just got worse and worse as time went by. I eventually had to trade it in for a new one. If you can trade it in somehow do it asap as its only going to get worse (assuming you have the same problem I did)

TuffEagle88
06-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I get dirty/damaged disk errors all the time with Morrowind:GOTY, but it doesn't do it with any other game, and everyone I've talked to has had problems with Morrowind, freezing, and errors, so its probably not my lense.

P.S.-I've got a Thompson, so don't be knockin 'em.

ghost 009
06-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Its my fault I'm a ****ing idiot. I have a Phillips but the reason I think this is happening is because I just found an atari sticker and for some stupid reason I put it on the side vents. lol, I don't know if thats the reason but it started to happen once I did that and my discs are fine. It only does that with 2 games, rest are fine. If I notice that it continues doing that I'm trading it.

MaxPain
06-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Right.. I get alot of DDE's . So today I took it apart. and took the drives out. took the dvd drive apart and cleaned the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Didn't help it at all. Even tho the xbox is my favorite system. out of all I think it is the LEAST dependable.. I got mine launch. nov. 2001.

why should I have to go buy another, I shelled out $500 on launch day... damn thompson drives suck!!

ghost 009
06-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Right.. I get alot of DDE's . So today I took it apart. and took the drives out. took the dvd drive apart and cleaned the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Didn't help it at all. Even tho the xbox is my favorite system. out of all I think it is the LEAST dependable.. I got mine launch. nov. 2001.

why should I have to go buy another, I shelled out $500 on launch day... damn thompson drives suck!!
oh, damn. I think I got the lense but I still wanna open it up. Maybe there is just soo much dust in theresomething else is causing it.

TuffEagle88
06-13-2004, 10:27 AM
I know that there has to be tons of dust inside of mine, but if I open it I know I'll end up breaking something. :)

Max33
06-13-2004, 11:53 AM
I wouldent mess with a disc cleaner.
I've got a thompson,had the same problem,the disc cleaner actually made it worse.
Opening up the box and manually cleaning the eye worked for me.

LiquidX
06-13-2004, 12:08 PM
oh, damn. I think I got the lense but I still wanna open it up. Maybe there is just soo much dust in theresomething else is causing it.

I just remembered. It may not have been the lense in my Xbox, or it may not have been entirely the lense. While I was in there I repositioned the IDE cable so it wasnt blocking the rear fan. It sounded a lot different and moved a lot more air. I'm not sure if it was this or the lense. All I know is that I couldnt even get a game to start until I opened it up and did these two things. BTW, I have a Philips drive.

AlphaCigara
06-13-2004, 12:29 PM
To whoever said Xbox is the least dependable system, you're wrong. That honor goes to the PS2. I've never had a problem with the 2 Xbox's I've owned, but I'm on my 3rd PS2 right now, and that's b/c the previous two died on me. As for the DDE's, my Samsung has never had one. It has froze on me midgame once or twice, but that's about it

SoundX
06-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Jesus, how many bloody threads about drives and dirty disk errors can you get?
Funny how they all started breaking down around the same time. I mean did Xbox Addict get this ammount of Drive thread last year? Might have some sort of pattern going on, IE the lifespan of a Launch Xbox.

Mine did have these problems, but when came back from being *beep* it worked completely fine. I had talks of it being repaired but they never went through. And now it's fine. Weird. Anyway. Er. Yes... Thompson... Baaaaad. :)

Brutus
06-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Jesus, how many bloody threads about drives and dirty disk errors can you get?
Funny how they all started breaking down around the same time. I mean did Xbox Addict get this ammount of Drive thread last year? Might have some sort of pattern going on, IE the lifespan of a Launch Xbox.

Mine did have these problems, but when came back from being *beep* it worked completely fine. I had talks of it being repaired but they never went through. And now it's fine. Weird. Anyway. Er. Yes... Thompson... Baaaaad. :)
No. We just got a bunch of more cool games to start playing and starting pushing these bad boys to the limit. You know Many More Hours each week.
Honestly I just got the Direction for the Cleaning of the Thomson Drives and the reason they say is that they get a dust build up right there underneith the tray.
I was ready to post a lead but that would be bad because they actually take the thing apart.
I'm going to do mine sometime this week and if removing the buildup doesn't work I'm just going to buy a new Thomson TGM600 which is the exact Drive that's in there. If it gives me another 2 years, I'll be a happy man.

ghost 009
06-14-2004, 05:12 PM
No. We just got a bunch of more cool games to start playing and starting pushing these bad boys to the limit. You know Many More Hours each week.
Honestly I just got the Direction for the Cleaning of the Thomson Drives and the reason they say is that they get a dust build up right there underneith the tray.
I was ready to post a lead but that would be bad because they actually take the thing apart.
I'm going to do mine sometime this week and if removing the buildup doesn't work I'm just going to buy a new Thomson TGM600 which is the exact Drive that's in there. If it gives me another 2 years, I'll be a happy man.
thanks that just might be the problem except I have a phillips and I put a ****ing sticker on it so I think it is dusty.

TuffEagle88
06-14-2004, 05:45 PM

I don't know if them just taking the thing apart would be against forum rules, its just for maintence, not for modding purposes, but I guess its better to play it safe. if its not too much trouble could you PM me a link though? I've got a Thompson and my house is really dusty so maybe it would help me.

Brutus
06-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Wow. I just got done! It took me a few hours last night but after cracking the case and swapping the Lens, the Mirror and the sensor with Rubbing alcohol and blowing dust off of the Power Supply, the chip er, pentium or whatever the heck is in their with the fan and that wierd Chrome thingy... ANyhow, I looked at it's guts. ALL the way in it's guts and I found so much build up!
Put it all back together, (Pretty easy actually) and now she sounds just like she did the day I bought the thing!!!!! It was a sound I haven't heard for a while!
There was even dust build up on the gears inside the DVD Drive!!! I was like crap!
Get this: I even found a hair in there!
Man I'm surprised the thing was still even working...
But now I can hear the thing just SCREAMING through the load screens and it's all up to par! I'm loving it!
I didn't have to replace no drive!
If anyone needs the link to the site that'll walk you through the clean up, I'll hook you up. Later!
-Happy Brutus!

CRAYMAN
06-15-2004, 02:13 PM
I got mine launch. nov. 2001.

$500?!!?
I picked mine up at launch as well and it was ONLY $300. :huh:

Brutus
06-15-2004, 03:34 PM
$500?!!?
I picked mine up at launch as well and it was ONLY $300. :huh:
DUde. You know, they released it in bundles almost everywhere. What was it again...
I think it was 2 controllers, DVD Playback, A memory Card, 2 games and the console. $499.00
Yeah, I just waiting until they realized that there were a lot more Launch Xbox's than Launch PS2's. Man, that was whack... The Launch of PS2 were released across the states only as much as our Beloved Xbox Halo Bundles. Man, Getting a PS2 was hard. Then it sucked...
Xbox rocks...

CRAYMAN
06-15-2004, 07:30 PM
DUde. You know, they released it in bundles almost everywhere. What was it again...

I guess I was lucky and didn't get GOUGED. I was in Wal-Mart and it was announced over the intercom that some came in, so I went and picked it up.
Good ol' Wally World.