PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield: Modern Combat Preview

Slowride
06-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Finally! It took awhile, but the award-winning Battlefield franchise from the PC gaming world is coming to the Xbox with a little help from our favorite rally game creators DICE. NO, it’s not the classic WWII game that the keyboard and mouse freaks get to play over the cables, but a later day version of the same game, focusing on the military technology of today. Battlefield: Modern Combat is EA’s way of sticking it to the PC guys, and that’s okay with us. Throw on the Kevlar helmet and reassemble the SAW; it’s time to unleash all of the latest weapons, tactics, and vehicle on your unsuspecting Friend’s list members. Now move out!

The concept of the Battlefield is pretty simple; throw a bunch of online games on a huge map and play capture the flag. The intriguing part of 1942 is the various land, air, and sea vehicles that are at every gamer’s disposal, and Modern Combat will be no different. Over thirty drab painted people movers can be chosen, including helicopters, personnel boats, and of course tanks. If motorized vehicles aren’t your flavor, you can always hump it while carrying one of 75 different weapons that cover the gamut of modern technology from all over the world. Games such as Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 will give you a taste of the types of weaponry available, which includes assault and sniper rifles, bullpup smg’s, and a whole host of projectile and exploding hardware. There is no shortage of weapons to wield in Battlefield: Modern Combat, which is a good thing considering that Live’s best gamers are already plotting the different ways to take you out.

One thing that Xbox gamers are probably not ready for is the sheer size of the gaming maps. Battlefield: Modern Combat was designed to be an online multiplayer game first and a, well, nothing after. All of the emphasis and gameplay revolves around Live, which means that there won’t be many situations in which you feel cramped into claustrophobic story mode map. Three major geographical settings including Moscow, The Middle East, and China have been chosen as the battleground with each area containing from three to five maps. The final number of maps may change before the release date but it is almost a guarantee that each area will have a mix of close-quarters and long range courses which will cater to almost every multiplayer gamer, whether they are a line-of-sight type, a sniper guru, or the type who needs to spread the wings in an air raid. Each of the map’s flag point are scattered about the landscape and are sometimes hidden inside buildings, making foot action mandatory. Battlefield: Modern Combat feels extremely balanced for this reason, with very few of the conflicts feeling overly dominated by any one vehicle or any one carry weapon.

It’s no surprise that Battlefield: Modern Combat features the full compliment of Live features since it functions as a stand alone multiplayer title. A full compliment of stat tracking is available along with the usual friend’s lists, create-match, and OptiMatch features. Another unique feature that is sure to be popular is the ability to create clans through the game without trying to orchestrate offline or in normal Quick Match contests. There is also an online ranking system that works like a true military system with player experience and statistics formulating a designation such as sergeant or corporal. This poses interesting battalion formations since the players with higher rank can recruit privates for their clan and have them answer to the platoon leader, just as in most modern militaries. Just as in real militaries, only players of certain rank will be privy to special vehicles and weapons, which should really motivate the lesser experienced gamers to get on line and be all that they can be.

Battlefield: Modern Combat is set to launch with up to 24 players on any given map which should make for some extremely heated online action. Even though Modern Combat is still in its earlier stages, the gameplay moves at a decent clip for the sheer amount of things going on that tax the engine. Laser-guided missiles are smashing targets while a ground troop is planting explosives in a basement, all while you are planted firmly behind a fixed gun turret; there are few situations where silence falls upon the battlefield. This is a good thing so long as the server can handle it, which means that the software will need some tweaking to reduce the possibility of lag.

We don’t expect any high-res modes, but the game does look pretty even at this point. There is a slight lack of detail and some flatness which should be reworked for the final, or, it may be a necessary evil in order for the game to flow. We personally had no problems with the graphics since the gameplay was so damn intoxicating.

Minor framerate issues aside, Battlefield: Modern Combat plays like a big-boy version of Rainbow Six 3 or any of the other modern tactical titles. It is easy to get sidetracked due to the sheer scope of the game and the vast landscapes on which to battle, which is why having an experienced clan leader will come very much into play. Current games like Counter-Strike and RS3 are entertaining but they never feel like simulated combat since much of the focus is on the individual. Individuality won’t cut it in Modern Combat; there are far more ways to die on a map filled with armed Hummers, jets, and laser-guided weaponry. The controls will feel similar to may of the modern combat titles and seem to work well other than the lack of an override for the aiming system which doesn’t allow true pinpoint accuracy. A system where a pinpoint within the reticle can driven alongside of a semi-auto aim function would work well here and may sow itself in the final version.

Battlefield: Modern Combat isn’t slated for release until November but gamers familiar with the PC franchise are already getting excited over this one. There simply isn’t any other game for the Xbox that is developed specifically for online play and has this amount of gameplay scope. Keep it here for the latest information on Battlefield: Modern Combat. As you were soldier.

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/944/1086997104.jpg
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/944/1086997106.jpg
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/944/1086997109.jpg

source (http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/773/Battlefield-Modern-Combat/p1)

sojourner
06-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Good stuff Champ, I cant wait to try this type of game, its the kind I've of game that just offers so much and my imagination is running riot lol. Cheers for the info. :cheers:

BoundBruiser
06-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm getting stoked for this one. I can't wait for them to unleash this beast!

bostwick202
06-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Looks pretty awesome, but since it's coming out in november I'll probably pick it up later because i'll be to preoccupied with halo 2

Slowride
06-12-2004, 05:47 PM
You can check out a 2 minute 43 second video for BF:MC here (http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox/848/Battlefield-Modern-Combat-E3-2004-Trailer) . Looks pretty sweet :)

sojourner
06-12-2004, 05:57 PM
I't looks amazing, this is more for me than halo but I'll wait and see, this is a long time coming. Nice!!!!

Dark Enemy
06-13-2004, 02:17 AM
Looks great and looks liek its alot of fun. The only thing im not liking is the graphics..

AlphaCigara
06-13-2004, 02:25 AM
Didn't know it was for up to 24 players on Live, i'm gonna have to check this game out :cheers:

Squad based shooters are teh chit :hump:

Sheeyt
06-13-2004, 06:33 AM
Yea this game is going to be great, unfrotunately its got POS2 graphics. Putting this game up next to Battlefield 2 makes me want to cry. Although I won't complain since we are finally getting a Battlefield game.

Slowride
06-13-2004, 02:16 PM
If it's a choice between great graphics and 24 players on live i'll take 24 players any day.

JJaX
06-13-2004, 06:20 PM
I think the graphics look great for what they are trying to accomplish. Havent you watched the videos? Look how smooth it is.

GokuX
06-13-2004, 07:05 PM
I dunno, the graphics leave a little something to be desired as far as I'm concerned. I think they look bad even by PS2 standards.

sojourner
06-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Personally I don't care if thats the finished product or not, we've waited so long for a land, sea and air battlefield that its not funny. After I heard EA had canned battlefield 1942 with their dispute with MS, I was so dissapointed. That was one of the main reasons for me getting an Xbox and live, the ability to play in "big games".

My own preference is the military free roam we will get in these type of games, it will be awsome! Yes you can play 16 player games at the moment, but I think this is just another level. Big battlefields is where its at for me personally, and I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation! Operation Flashpoint is also the game I'm looking at with anticipation, but its not been confirmed by Codemasters yet the number of players on live.

I'll no doubt get halo but I'm more into fatigue type warfare, to me its just a bit more interesting, but thats just me. :cheers:

ScottTheKilla
06-15-2004, 05:13 AM
The graphics can only be so good with 24 players online or it would affect gameplay. Thats why counterstrike has me coming back for more even though the graphics arent spectacular. Its all about the replayability...

Lets just hope theres no fee for playing EA games online though. Ea still hasnt made up their mind on that it seems and most likely if there is I wont be buying what looks like a really fun game.

Huckleberry
06-15-2004, 11:45 AM
i can't wait for this game! i was so pissed when ea cancelled 1942. i love wwii stuff. still, since my halo clan now lives all over the place, this will help fill the void left when we couldn't do halo lan parties anymore.

i agree that the graphics are down somewhat, but for 24 player action, it's gotta drop somewhat just to be able to handle all the movement.

Duke
06-15-2004, 11:47 AM
i can't wait for this game! i was so pissed when ea cancelled 1942.

No doubt. That game was a huge part of the reason I went w/ xbox.

thrAsher
06-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Good stuff, Champ. Looks a lot like Counter Strike to me, but slicker and w/ vehicles. Could be a blast on Live. I'll definitely keep my eyes on the game.

Sheeyt
06-16-2004, 01:31 PM
If its anything like 1942 or Vietnam it will be an instant hit.

Holt88
06-16-2004, 08:32 PM
OMG. This game looks amazing, 24 players? That's great man, I loved watching the videos, seeing helicopters and tanks go at it, same cool stuff...defiently going to pick this up on day 1.

Holt88
06-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey guys, check this out. http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/682/682920/vids_1.html

And look at the video called "Look out for airstrike", plane went over head and just unleashed hell on their army.

l Maximus l
06-16-2004, 09:45 PM
This definately looks cool...but, man, they're really shooting themselves in the foot by releasing this bad boy in November...ouch.

JJaX
06-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Its Ok Maximus....You can say it....."HALO"

Im impressed, this is the second out of 10,728 post where you didnt say "halo"

Sheeyt
06-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Doesn't matter if it came out on November 9th I'd get Halo 2 and this.

No Fear 23
06-17-2004, 11:34 AM
wow, i havent been blown away like that in a long time. the gameplay looks so awesome. did you see how high those bodies flew? im def. looking forward to this. it'll be a good change of pace after playing alot of halo 2

Sheeyt
06-17-2004, 11:43 AM
I like how the entire bridge was blown up when the tank shelled those two soldiers running.

I like the land, sea and air vehicles as well. I much prefer modern combat then that of 1952. Simply for the vehicles and weaponry.

Dark Enemy
06-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Look at some of the videos on ign..The game is really looking good. Will Ea be chrging to play this online...I know they like charging for online gaming.

No Fear 23
06-17-2004, 01:02 PM
if they charge us...i'll poop on the game like jjax poopin on threads.

LTM360
06-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Uh, this game is schedualed to come out the same day as Halo 2. I do plan on getting this because im a huge fan of the PC ones which I can't play cause my PC sucks, but I think I'll wait for a price drop, but hopefully I'll have a job by then, so maybe I'll be able to get both.