PDA

View Full Version : Using wireless technology with XBox

tennyson
06-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just moved into a new house where unfortunately, my computer is upstairs and my XBox is downstairs. In my old house I was able to run a cable between the two so I could transfer MP3 files to my Xbox from my computer. My question is:

How should I set it up now, and what equipment will I need?

I'm pretty sure I will have to run a cable from my computer to a wireless router, and then plug a wireless adapter into my XBox. How have some of you resolved this problem? Thanks!

Caesar SYN
06-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Ok here you go melba toast... Modem or Highspeed Internet Access into a Wireless Router/Access Point, Etc, (Mine is both) from there you can either go Hard Line or Wireless to either Point PC or XBOX with a Wireless adaptor for each or a cable for the hard line,

I have never transferred MP3s to my XBOX so I really cannot speak on this, to me custom tracks corrupt the game exp. and my Stereo is much better if I want music, and its a hassle, BUT someone with more exp. should elaborate on how to transfer the mp3s I assume with the Xbox Wireless connection you should be able to through the router.... worse comes to worse... someone here will have the anwers...

sorry for the choppy quick repsonse.. hopefully someone can get u better info. in a rush...

Reclaimer
06-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Microsoft makes a wireless transmitter / receiver device that plugs into your Xbox and enables the Xbox to wirelessly participate in a wireless network. You have to go into your Xbox Live dashboard and enable Wireless setting. The thing is 70 bucks USD at your local Target stores and it's 802.1G compliant, meaning it gets up to 54 megs transfer, which to me is overkill, but good for the price.
Nyko (I think thats what it's called) makes the same thing for 99 USD. Those where the only two I've seen.
You have to have a wireless router with the wireless reciever enabled. Everything should autodetect on it's own.
To transfer MP3's on a straight, unmodded Xbox, you need the Music Mixer "game". Yes, the karoke thing with the microphone. It enables you to set up a transfer protocol from a folder on your PC to the Xbox. People freak that it's a karoke game, but it's also a handy little program for using your Xbox to play MP3's on your stereo and using your TV for 3D graphic output, like a media player.