PDA

View Full Version : When will Xbox start to dominate?

XBA Staff
01-20-2002, 11:13 AM
What time this year do you think the Xbox will start to show off it's best side. Personally I think Spring/Summer is the time when the Xbox will start to put their foot on the accelerator and start dominating.

But what do you think?

Ninja Scroll
01-20-2002, 11:27 AM
Good thread topic, well realistically I think we are looking at 2003. Sony already has over 6 million (US) console already sold. And that's before Christmas of this past year.
Xbox is still around that 1.5-2.0 millions sold mark last I checked.
I think the will start to out sell PS2 at a 2 to 1 ratio by this coming 2002 holiday season.
But tha only depends on the software available at the time.
And the marketing. Just because Microsoft has more money than we can count does not promise anything in revenues.
Dont you remember the battles between Genesis vs. SNES?
Well anything can happen with the right marketing as Sega did back in the glory days.
But as long as sony has franchises like Final Fantasy (basically everything from Square), and MGS (please dont give me it coming to Xbox, i'll believe it when I see it).
Things will be difficult.

But I have faith in Microsoft and believe the actual take over will accure in 2003.
But they will make a major push this year to catch up some.

XBA Staff
01-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Ninja Scroll You have some interesting points there. And speaking of that...there is something that no other Xbox site has (Even Xbox.com IGN and Gamespot) and that is an analys (Or however you spell it) section. In that section there could be one person that talks about sales #s and stuff like that. They will count up the # of sells per month and compare them to PS2s GCs and PCs and stuff like that. Mainly that section will be dedicated to Stats and # of sells. And that is something that no other site has.

But now back to the main topic...

Infinite
01-20-2002, 11:53 AM
I actually believe we could see a 2:1 ratio by febuary march!

games like raw, project ego enclave, ufc, wreckless and mroe come out around that time

But I think RAW is gonna be the jackpot!

People were very dissapointed with sd3. And many people get systems just for sweet wrestling games. That could be a big spark in sales.:)

Dr_J
01-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Some time in 2003. After the AAA titles start to roll out(FF series, Project Ego, MGS, etc, etc, etc) More systems will sell and of course, people will be buying those AAA titles.

XBox is a dominating console, but it's all about the games.

Ninja Scroll
01-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Tyrell-XBA
Ninja Scroll You have some interesting points there. And speaking of that...there is something that no other Xbox site has (Even Xbox.com IGN and Gamespot) and that is an analys (Or however you spell it) section. In that section there could be one person that talks about sales #s and stuff like that. They will count up the # of sells per month and compare them to PS2s GCs and PCs and stuff like that. Mainly that section will be dedicated to Stats and # of sells. And that is something that no other site has.

But now back to the main topic...

you know what Tyrell, I like the idea. I am a person that is obsessed with "sales" in all markets of entertainment. such as music (I go to billboard's 200 every Thursday) for music sales/numbers/chart postions. And for movies (I go comingsoon.net on Monday morning for the weekends box-office champion) I chck out the USA Today as well.

My point is it would be amazing if xboxaddict.com was able to have a videgames sales list weekly.
I remember the now defunked but excellent "dailyradar.com" used to list the weekly sales that where supplied by NPD Group. Whome I think we all know covers the US videogames sales numbers.

Well, any chance Xboxaddict could list the US numbers? Steph, Jason? Are you leasoning to your hero Ninja Jubei?

One more thing, infinte (I think that's his name) said he feels Xbox will out sel PS2 in Feb/March of this year!?
Sorry junior but wont happen as long as FFX is still a system seller. I wish you were right though.
But WWF RAW will be the game that will push this system into the 2nd Quarter of 2002. I truly believe RAW will be the system seller Microsoft needs in the early part of this year.
But Microsoft & THQ have to advertise the hell out of this game the same way Sony is for MGS2,FFX, & GTA3.
:)

XBA Staff
01-20-2002, 12:55 PM
I don't mean to disagree with anyone but I still think that Xbox will start to dominate around Spring/Summer of this year. The reason for that is because that's when some of the best Xbox exclusives start to come...games like PSO2, Battlefield: 1942 and more. PS2 doesn't have any other great exclusives coming around that time because most of their great games is already out like Max Payne, FFX, GTA3, SSX Tricky, MGS2, Smackdown 3 and others. See but Gamecube and Xbox still has it's great exclusives that they haven't released yet.

See like GC still has Mario, Zelda, Perfect Dark 2, Metroid and more. Those games will be coming at Spring/Summer.

And Xbox still has it's best games coming at Spring/Summer.

But PS2 got scurd of the GC and Xbox launch so they released their best titles early like FFX, MGS2, Silent Hill 2, GTA3, Max Payne, SD3 and games like that. So around Spring/Summer time...PS2 really doesn't have any great titles to compete with the GC and Xbox great titles...see what I'm saying. So when that happens people will want those great GC and Xbox titles so they'll go after a Xbox or a Gamecube. Then when that happens the PS2 sells will decrease. It will just be a Surplus for the Xbox and Gamecube.

Plus at Fall/Winter Xbox and Gamecube will have many more new titles coming to add to the death of the PS2. But Spring/Summer time will be the turning point in which all this will occur.

See to add to this...E3 is in Spring...and like I said before PS2 won't have a FFX, SD3, MGS2, Silent Hill, GTA3, Gran Turismo 3, or a Max Payne to show off like they did the past 2 years. Whereas the Gamecube and Xbox will have tons of great exclusive games to show off like I said eariler with games like Zelda and Mario for the GC and Battlefield: 1942 and maybe a Halo 1.5.

So I understand when yall say that the Xbox won't meet the # of PS2 sales of 6 million+ sales until 2003. But Xbox can still dominate the PS2 by sales in this year not counting the PS2's past two year sales but just counting the 2002 sales which Xbox seems to be doing great in.

So when this year ends this is how I see the standings:

1. Xbox
2. Gamecube
3. PlayStation 2

:cool:

Ninja Scroll
01-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Yo Tye, I dont know if you are missunderstanding me, or just including me with the other reples.
I said Xbox will take over in 2003. I also said I see Xbox out selling PS2 2 to 1 ratio by holiday season.
I feel the order you have (1.xbox 2. GC 3. PS2) for this year the same too.
Im just saying in overall console in home that Xbox wont be their until 2003, but they will out sell PS2 this year as GC will do.
E3 will be what you meantioned. Of course we all know Sony was scared to death when they were desprete to get FFX out before Christmas.
So for the record, please qoute me before you missunderstand me. cool, ... :)

Supperdog
01-20-2002, 01:13 PM
winter :)

manchufu
01-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Probably late summer, because the online network will be running, and that will attract many sceptical computer users who want to game online.

XBA Staff
01-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Well to tell the truth, Xbox or Gamecube can step ahead of PS2 this year at anytime...but I think the major turning point will be Spring/Summer.

But everyone here who has replied expecially Ninja Scroll has had some great points. But the turning point will be Spring/Summer.

XBA Staff
01-20-2002, 01:22 PM
Probably late summer, because the online network will be running, and that will attract many sceptical computer users who want to game online.

Exactly...that is another reason why Spring/Summer will be the turning point. Because the offical MS Xbox online network will be up and running (Not Gamespy).

Ninja Scroll
01-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by manchufu

Good point yo! Hopefully the Xbox Online marketing will be the fresh (not that xbox is stale) breath of air to make the average gamer think twice about getting a PS2 knowing he/she will have to buy a truck load of the infamous "add-ons" just to get started! :D

XBA Staff
01-20-2002, 01:52 PM
Also another reason why Spring/Summer will be the turning point in which the Xbox dominates is the realease of Unreal Championship which will have great online play and will draw sales from PC gamers as they buy UC to help them wait for Unreal Tournament 2 for the PC which may come to Xbox.

And speaking of FPS...it's time for me to load Return to Castle Wolfenstien onto my PC so I can go online and play.

See yall in like 8 hours.

Xboxmaster2001
01-20-2002, 02:29 PM
I think it will start to take over in Febuary when people see the games like Weckless, JGRF, WWF Raw, Elder scrolls 3 and many more then it will take another big step in march with Brute force, and Tony Hawk 3, then the 2 biggest steps when they go online and the summer.:)