PDA

View Full Version : DRIV3R DOES dissapoint....

LTM360
06-21-2004, 09:16 PM
DRIV3R Review "Mediocre" 5.4 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/driver3/index.html?tag=mp_2to9)

"A bevy of technical problems make portions of the game feel sloppy and unfinished, such that even diehard fans of the series will have a hard time liking Driver 3. - Jeff Gerstmann"

Gamespot.com

Thoughts? I can't believe this man, 5.4? Someone's reconsidering pickin this up...

RockTheCasba
06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
ign gave it a 5.5 thougth it would do better than this

Dgenx321
06-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Sounds like a sure rent...

TheWheelMan
06-21-2004, 09:38 PM
I am so utterly pissed this game was suppose to own!! i hope its just the goddamn sites and there biased reviews :mad: :cuss:

ShannonX
06-21-2004, 10:07 PM
figured it would be screwed up the arse. Specially after it kept taking so long to get out on the market.

GRAVEDIGGER
06-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Yea...i didnt think it was gonna suck, but then again i didnt think it would be that tyte. But i really didnt expect a bevy of 5s...dam..tuff on dat one:confused:

oldi1knoby
06-22-2004, 02:41 AM
I don't know whether to trust these scores. They did give True Crime a much better score... And that game sucked ass. Amazing that True Crime advertises so much on their site?

I have a copy reserved at Gamestop and they say it comes in tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping some more reviews come out tomorrow that say the game is better, or I might just cancel my pre-order.

Hopefully some people who already have it will review it here at XboxAddict too.. I always trust gamer's reviews over writers who spend 30 minutes with it and write the review to meet a deadline.

Hard Boiled Cop
06-22-2004, 05:32 AM
I really urge you guys not to trust reviews. Its what you think that counts. You buy magazines or look up at sites and they all give different scores so really its THEIR (note how I highlighted it in caps) opinions.
Try playing it first and see what happens, if you like it then keep it. If not then return knowing that Reflection mess up the what was thought to be a great Driver franchise.

FuNkY mOnK
06-22-2004, 06:01 AM
it's funny when you read the pre-views leading up to this game from the fans and you would think this game was the mother of all mothers. but then again when will we learn that atari blows out chunks 99% of the time. well i'm one of those dogs that gets thier nose shoved in sh-it till he learns. mine is on it's way from ebay. on a positive note i got free shipping and it cost me $42.50 no tax.

p.s. my mistake i confused Atari with Activision. Another positive note.

JuniorBrady
06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I mean, really. For every 5 that's out there right now there's a 8/9. Scores for this game are all over the place. Even if the on foot stuff stinks, I'm cool with that b/c the name of the game is DRIVER. As long as the driving stuff is cool, I'll be plenty happy.

TheWheelMan
06-22-2004, 10:21 AM
ya right now my main goal is to rent it and hope for the best :cool:

Sigma
06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
The reviews have been quite bad on Driv3r everywhere I have seen, but I still want to rent it and give it a try. It can't be worse then True Crime which IMO sucked.

lllSmokelll
06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Driv3r - Graphics 6/10 Gamespot
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/561983_20040621_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/561983_20040602_screen001.jpg

GTA: Vice City - Graphics 9/10 Gamespot
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/grandtheftautovicecity/1028/g_screen004.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/news/11/05/v_screen002.jpg

does anyone wanna explain this?

studepaber
06-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Graphically the game is better than GTAVC but I think the reason for the lower score is because Driv3r has a shorter draw distance and may have a slightly worse framerate. I bought the game last night and got about an hour's worth into it, I think it's a fun game, but it just doesn't seem like the finished product. For example, I'm shooting this guy in his car, he gets out and stands there and I continue shooting him although he just keeps standing there. Finally I walk up and he disappears, oh well, anyway I think it's better than the 5's it received from IGN and GS, I would probably give it a 7/10 from what I've played. It's a good game, but I was expecting a little more given the time it took to be developed.

TheWheelMan
06-22-2004, 01:26 PM
i should enjoy it then cause i thought true crimes was fun as hell the graphics werent all that bad pretty good if you ask me so ya DRIV3R should be awesome i was just overreacting abit earlyer on cause i so want this game to excel im hoping you can get guns and everything in the free drive mode so you can blow **** up and steal cars and have fun like in grand theft auto :hump:

Variation-XBA
06-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Going to pop it in at work today and see how it is. Out of review sites, I trust Gamespot the least :P

TheWheelMan
06-22-2004, 02:02 PM
alrite variation :hail: ya you work at EBGames right??? :hail: :hail:

LTM360
06-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Going to pop it in at work today and see how it is. Out of review sites, I trust Gamespot the least :P

Well, IGN did give it a 5.5 and their reviews usually are good for me.
I don't trust a review entirely, if a game gets a 7 or higher, and I had interest in it Ill get it, but 6 or lower usually are bad, i mean, the game can't be good if it does get a low score. I have yet to play a game I like that got bad reviews.

Variation-XBA
06-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Well, sad to say, their review was pretty much correct. fun to play, but I don't see any long term in it.

The Survival is fun like the origional, but it's WAY too easy now. 1 minute in Driver 1 was godly, I got 4 minutes first time and crashed on purpose out of boredom.

The AI is horrible. I pull a guy out of his car and he walks away casually, so i strat shooting at him, but when i miss, he doesn't even run away, he keeps walking.

The director mode is VERy nice though, and with the Harddrive, endless replays and such.

Personally, with an hour sit down with it... I'm glad I didn't buy it. Definetly worth a rent though. IMO ofcourse.

Very sad and dissapointed :(

oldi1knoby
06-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I didn't have the foresight to rent it. I purchased it yesterday, and while there are times that is IS fun, I don't see myself playing this past a week.

Anyone in Honolulu wanna buy a used copy of driver?

JuniorBrady
06-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Yeah, Director Mode is very nice. No other game really has this option flushed out as well as Driv3r does. To me, and remember this is my opinion, Director Mode makes the game worth a buy alone.

TheWheelMan
06-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Does anyone know any secrets or hints for the game yet i heard there was a go-kart track by a water treatment facility but i dont know where it is?

Variation-XBA
06-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know any secrets or hints for the game yet i heard there was a go-kart track by a water treatment facility but i dont know where it is?

Voila (http://gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/code/35831.html)

Spaztic
06-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah I would have to say I picked up a copy played it for an hour and returned it. Crappy draw distances, the AI sucks, game just overall is a let down. I was a huge fan of this series....I would give it a 6.....

TheWheelMan
06-24-2004, 04:07 PM
i found the go-kart track unlocked the go-kart, unlocked the gt-40 and the hot rod in nice and ive killed 3 timmies in miami 2 in nice and 1 in instanbul does anyone else know any secrets?

JuniorBrady
06-25-2004, 07:39 AM
How's the go-kart? I haven't got it yet, but the stuff I saw of it looked fun. Is it?

TheWheelMan
06-25-2004, 11:13 AM
ya its pretty awesome so far heres what ive done........ive beaten the game, killed all 10 timmies in miami, all 10 timmies in nice, 1 timmie in instanbul, unlocked 18 wheeler havoc mode, fugitive mode, unlocked the go-kart, gt-40 and the car that looks like a shelby cobra in miami and ive unlocked the hot rod, forklift, and the hippie van in nice now i just need instanbul but the problem is i have to take the game back today :cuss: cause i rented it

mattgame
06-25-2004, 11:36 AM
I played it in the store and the technical problems are plentiful. I guess it was rushed but why would the developer put this one out to be published if it was not ready.

oldi1knoby
06-26-2004, 04:09 AM
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. BUYER BEWARE.

I bought this game on June 22. I sold it back as a used game to Software etc on June 25. They wouldn't let me return it. They changed their return policies this year.

I got 26 dollars back for it. That means I paid 25 dollars for a 3 day rental. Do not make the same mistake I did. Rent it if you must, but DO NOT BUY BEFORE RENTING IT!

TheWheelMan
06-27-2004, 06:09 PM
i actually enjoyed the game i noticed the glitches but o well it didnt really kill the experience i pretty much beat the game but i think when the price goes down ill get it so much fun being chased around by the cops :)

CMX Jedi
06-27-2004, 08:51 PM
driv3r is a good game but there is just not much to do. the game (for me) freezes in some spots, like when somethings going to blow up.
the missions are not vary creative. drive here shoot that , run away from whos chasing you.
the music realy sucks, i expected some radio stations but no theres just one lil looping track over and over.
when you crash your car in some spots, like on an incline you cant get out of your car so your stuck.
i havent had a vary good time with this game.

Reclaimer
06-27-2004, 08:57 PM
I played the demo at a game store.. it was pretty neat, I liked driving the boat. I never got into the game, just the Take a drive mode.
Too bad you guys say the game sucks. I was considering getting it.
What does it do in XBL?

CMX Jedi
06-27-2004, 09:12 PM
you can download movies that other people make
i dont trust atari any more. every game iv played from them sucked

mattgame
06-28-2004, 09:02 AM
The game is a victim of the hype. It is nowhere near what it was hyped to be.

CMX Jedi
06-28-2004, 10:28 AM
yep........

wow that was a lame post :(

CuartoDePuto
06-28-2004, 11:24 AM
ya its pretty awesome so far heres what ive done........ive beaten the game, killed all 10 timmies in miami, all 10 timmies in nice, 1 timmie in instanbul, unlocked 18 wheeler havoc mode, fugitive mode, unlocked the go-kart, gt-40 and the car that looks like a shelby cobra in miami and ive unlocked the hot rod, forklift, and the hippie van in nice now i just need instanbul but the problem is i have to take the game back today :cuss: cause i rented it

shelby cobra, [drooling]

did you kill all the timmies, what happens?

Brutus
06-28-2004, 04:53 PM
I had it 1 day before it was to be released and I've already stopped playing it. Wish I never got the thing. I hate it.

TheWheelMan
06-29-2004, 08:15 PM
well i guess this is sorta like what i had it was called "serious game hype syndrome" i really was hoping mafia was going to be good but i rented and and low and behold it blow monkey ass some people thought it was good but i sure's hell didnt now i like DRIV3R i mean its true there isnt much to do once its beaten but it was bloody fun just driving around causing havoc and ya alot of people hate it well whatever the game is kool and looks so soo awesome :hail:

CuartoDePuto
06-30-2004, 07:57 AM
I haven't really been doing that many missions. I've been cruising a lot of free ride and making movies in director mode. Have you put anything up on xbox live?

TheWheelMan
06-30-2004, 10:09 AM
if i had xbox live i would definately post something but i really dont have cash to buy the starter kit or pay the monthly rate :cuss:

SoundX
06-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Well I haven't played this yet, but my friend has, and he's pritty annoyed about it.

To be fair, I think it might have got a bit better scores if it wasn't such a awaited & anticipated game. But still, Atari should have delivered on this one. The name will sell itself, and Atari have doged the bullet for another year. But I'm deffiently not paying £30 pounds for it. If the AI and glitches are as nasty as people are saying they are. Then I see no reason at all to buy this one.

I noticed that alot of people were saying this game was rushed to meet this deadline. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they been working on this game for over a year? I'm sure there was a release date set for sometime in 2003 or Early 2004.

If that's true then what the hell have they been doing for the past 6 months?

Rent it. Laugh. Return it.

David Luckey
06-30-2004, 11:14 AM
I got Terminator: Dawn of Fate and it was pretty bad...I don't like Atari now

Brutus
06-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Where this game COMPLETELY LOST ME was the A.I. Gosh, is it the PS2's phenomenal 4 mB's of memory! They're so stupid!
AI: "Yeah! I'm going to stand in front of your speeding car and shoot at you! I'm not moving out of the way either! I'm going to stand in your lane and shoot! & my million twin brothers will all stand in front of you and shoot as well! Then bugs won't hit your windshield, they'll take have of your whole screen! Just when you think it might get cool to, my other twin brothers, the cops aren't even a hair smarter than we are! They're following you and you can get out and shoot all of their tires!"
Where's the road block's? Where's the smart Cop manuevers? Where's the tight controls? No where to be seen. Instead of playing this, I'll stick with my favorite 3rd person shooter, BF, playing it for an hour, and then play Project Gotham 2 for an hour & it'll be a million times more fun than this game.

E Nomini Patri
06-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Yeah Brutus, I'm sure the A.I. is controlled by the console. Not the programmers that coded it.

:rolleyes:

Wolf
06-30-2004, 12:51 PM
i like just riding around and getting a dump truck and smashing into anything i see.

TheWheelMan
06-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Thats always tons of fun :rofl:

studepaber
06-30-2004, 01:28 PM
i like just riding around and getting a dump truck and smashing into anything i see.

I prefer the forklift to flip cars and then put them in the ocean hahha, it's hilarious to watch on the replay as well :D

TheWheelMan
06-30-2004, 01:31 PM
ya i got the forklift but i never really got to mess around with it much im actually really missing the game i so want it now that ive gotten a taste :bang: :hail:

Brutus
06-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Yeah Brutus, I'm sure the A.I. is controlled by the console. Not the programmers that coded it.

:rolleyes:
No. I'm just talking about the amount of Memory that they spared for the AI. It's probably about 4MB, Dip*****

Wolf
06-30-2004, 03:03 PM
I prefer the forklift to flip cars and then put them in the ocean hahha, it's hilarious to watch on the replay as well :D

hmmm never seen that where do you find it?

CuartoDePuto
06-30-2004, 03:17 PM

Give me the forklift now!!! I've been making so many funny replays just messing around. Its time for tanner to star in "The Angry Fork Lift Operator". I wonder if the cops will show up :p

TheWheelMan
06-30-2004, 04:01 PM
you find the forklift in nice umm i know where it is i just dont know how to explain where exactally......just find a walkthrough on the web or something

CuartoDePuto
06-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Cool thanks, looked it up on my own. don't hate me if i'm a little lazy. i found these pretty cool cheats in my search too, not sure if they work yet though.

in case anyone is interested

All Weapons: R1, L2, SQUARE, CIRCLE, R1, R2, L2
Invincibility (not in story mode): SQUARE, SQUARE, L1, R1, L2, R2, R2
Unlock all Missions: L1, R1, L1, L2, SQUARE, SQUARE, CIRCLE
Unlock all Vehicles: L1, L1, SQUARE, CIRCLE, L1, R1, CIRCLE

lax_defense
06-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Damn, it really had potential too. That sucks.

Wolf
06-30-2004, 09:23 PM
you find the forklift in nice umm i know where it is i just dont know how to explain where exactally......just find a walkthrough on the web or something

well then that explains it i have only played in miami so far...

JuniorBrady
07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
The forklift is awesome for destruction purposes, but I think my fav is the gokart. Not sure why. I just feel funny when I'm riding around in it. It's fun!

TheWheelMan
07-01-2004, 08:41 AM
same here my friend....same here :p

JuniorBrady
07-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Another favorite of mine are the boats. I guess I just like being out there on the water and being able to jump ship whenever I feel like it. that definitley is a change of pace from the rest of the game, which i like.

TheWheelMan
07-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Indeed

LTM360
07-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Well I played the game the other day, and I have to say the game is absolute crap IMO. I don't see how a game, that suffered this many delays, could turn out to be the technical piece of crap it is. We got the semi-truck and was in 'Nice'? I think. Anyways, we were just screwin around and came to a ramp, turned around jumped off of it, kinda cool, till we got half-way to the ground, in which the truck begin to do frontflips, and the screen became covered with several images of the truck (you know that screen that happenes when you beat Solitare on Windows? The repeating card image? Change the cards into the Semi-Truck). All the images became blurred beyond reason, and the truck just continued it's frontflipping, and had no intensions of stopping. Well I gotta say the driving controls are good, but the running around and aiming is awful, and well, this is just one being peice of crap game, and I really don't see how Reflection can possibly be happy with this product.

Brutus
07-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Well I played the game the other day, and I have to say the game is absolute crap IMO. I don't see how a game, that suffered this many delays, could turn out to be the technical piece of crap it is. We got the semi-truck and was in 'Nice'? I think. Anyways, we were just screwin around and came to a ramp, turned around jumped off of it, kinda cool, till we got half-way to the ground, in which the truck begin to do frontflips, and the screen became covered with several images of the truck (you know that screen that happenes when you beat Solitare on Windows? The repeating card image? Change the cards into the Semi-Truck). All the images became blurred beyond reason, and the truck just continued it's frontflipping, and had no intensions of stopping. Well I gotta say the driving controls are good, but the running around and aiming is awful, and well, this is just one being peice of crap game, and I really don't see how Reflection can possibly be happy with this product.
Someone else agrees with me. Man, there were so many bugs. Even when running on foot! I couldn't do it. Not to mention how stupid the AI is. Man, if there's a car flying down the road at about 85, there's no way I'm standing in front of it. But sure enough, they're so stupid that's all they do. In many instances they even ran towards the front of my car!!! WTF!

TheWheelMan
07-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Well i guess im one of the few who enjoyed the hell outta the game i did notice some glitches but they really didnt bug me much so ya

Brutus
07-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Well i guess im one of the few who enjoyed the hell outta the game i did notice some glitches but they really didnt bug me much so ya
To all his own, you know. I was totally hoping that it was going to kick butt. I was even looking past the bugs & the minimal bump-mapping. Even past the sound when it claimed to be 5.1. What I souldn't look past was the AI. That's when I threw it back in the box and traded it in.
I'm glad you like it though. That's cool. I'll be playing Rid**** & Spiderman 2. Very Solid in my opinion.

TheWheelMan
07-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I guess its just i like these kinda open-ended games sure its not as open-ended as grand theft auto but you can steal cars and blow them up and all sorts of kool stuff and i just love the damage modeling for the cars

Brutus
07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Yeah. It was cool watching the cars crumple into a Pole & stuff like that. Even shooting out tires and Lights & stuff was fun.
I just turned it off when I'm running from the cops on the interstate and shoot their tires, get back in the car and then take off. Leaving them behind. the thing about it is, why don't they shoot out my tires? Why don't they use stop sticks? Why don't they use a helicopter?
But at least the cops weren't as stupid as the Crooks! You know when you're driving down a definitive "Path" & they run directly to the middle of it! That was laughable.
Why & the heck doesn't the Baddies' stay there when they're dead? I missed out on a lot of Ammo because I had to continuessly shoot from a distance because the aiming sucked so bad.
Come on Wheelman! Admit it, you won't be playing this game in a year!

TheWheelMan
07-07-2004, 03:35 PM
i want the game so chances are i might be i mean im hoping im ganna get somemore games bu the end of the year and i hope one of them is DRIV3R

LTM360
07-07-2004, 03:45 PM
You don't already have it? I figured you did. I'd wait for a price drop bud... :)

TheWheelMan
07-07-2004, 04:01 PM
i rented it and ya i prolly will

Brutus
07-07-2004, 04:23 PM
You don't already have it? I figured you did. I'd wait for a price drop bud... :)
Totally, bro. I bought it and adly hung my head. I didn't even have it a week. A rent would have definitely been better. that way, after a week, it wouldn't have cost me fiddy.
I thought a Wheelman would've ran out and bought it the first day like me. Oh well. In today's time, that's what we all need to do. Hold off on buying them until a week or two then buy them after renting. But then, look at Rid**** and many others.
All the good games though have a great buzz and some good Demos on there way, you know. Like Ninja Gaiden & Brute Force weren't afraid of releasing playable demo's before the release of their games, you know!
... Then again... The world may never know...

Brutus
07-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Here's a question. For LAN party's, does RTCW have the Normany Beach as a playable multi-player level?
I have one copy of it and am thinking about the other. ANyone know?

TheWheelMan
07-07-2004, 04:28 PM
i didnt run out and buy it right away because im kinda poor and have no cash lol the most amount of money i had at one time was like 200$ thats it and that was like 4 yrs ago so yay but i did wanna go out and buy it really badly

LikShotz
07-07-2004, 04:52 PM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/561983_20040621_screen001.jpg

^^dull, boring, faded, mediocre

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/grandtheftautovicecity/1028/g_screen004.jpg

^^
Clean, Detailed, Unique has that GTA 3 feel to it, and dosnt looking boring unlike driver three looks dull then a muthafu....aa but then again driver 3 to me looked like donkey shhh from dayone.

lax_defense
07-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Here's a question. For LAN party's, does RTCW have the Normany Beach as a playable multi-player level?
I have one copy of it and am thinking about the other. ANyone know?

I'm pretty sure it does...