PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Compatibility For Xbox?

Kamshaft
06-22-2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=4883

We wanna hear your voice the this article. Backwards compatibility or not? Post here your comments.

Anthony4sho
06-22-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't care. It better have some kind of hard drive tho cuz i'm not going back to memory cards.

LynxFX
06-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Do not care, never will care. I will get the next gen xbox because I want to play next gen xbox games. I'll always have an original xbox if I want to play one of those games.

I think trying to include backwards comp will just hurt the potential the X2 can have, especially since it is going in such a radical new way, technologically. I suspect that the harddrive solution will also be vastly different than what we have now, as in no harddrive, but still a 'mass' storage solution of somesorts whether it is solid state memory or something completely different.

BigJosh359
06-22-2004, 01:13 PM
I thought it was a bad idea not to have back comp with the next xbox, but like Lynx and most other people, we tend to keep the older consoles when the next gens come out.

As for no hard drive, i wanna see what they are going to come up with before i decide on that, the next storage device could be the next big thing and its doesnt have to be a hard drive. Wait and see then decide.

Casper
06-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Do not care, never will care. I will get the next gen xbox because I want to play next gen xbox games. I'll always have an original xbox if I want to play one of those games.

I think trying to include backwards comp will just hurt the potential the X2 can have, especially since it is going in such a radical new way, technologically. I suspect that the harddrive solution will also be vastly different than what we have now, as in no harddrive, but still a 'mass' storage solution of somesorts whether it is solid state memory or something completely different.
Exactly Lynx, and if flash memory will help that cause, I'm all for it.

I went with the XBox to get away from the transporting of memory cards all over the place and it's hardware advantage. I just hope this will be the same case so I stick with what has kicked the most ass so far - Xbox! :hump:

Darkside
06-22-2004, 02:00 PM
I would like to see Backwords Compatability on the next xbox as I usually trade the previous system in for it, or I can always just trade in my PS2 since I don't play it anymore :P

But as for a hard-drive, I'd like to keep it because Its much cheaper than having to buy many memory cards just to hold as much information. Plus I like custom sound tracks and other options like this.

CMX Jedi
06-22-2004, 02:18 PM
acualy you wont have the old xbox forever. hard drives ware out so than it wont work anymore. i think thats why MS is going with the no hard drive thing. i just hope it comes with some on board memory.

SoundX
06-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Prittty important for me to be honest, I am tired of always having to build up another collection. If it was backward compatible, it would mean I could sell my Crystal Xbox for a damn lot. And then pile up the games. Without backwards comp, I'm screwed.

It's also just a nice feature and will no doubt push sales.

E Nomini Patri
06-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Backwards compatibility is pointless. Keep your Xbox, simple as that.

sped
06-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm less concerned with backwards compatiblity and more concerned with buying memory cards, and the new ATI chipset. I'm not much of an ATI fan and never will be, I hope this system doesnt expend its potential after the first year like the PS2 and GC did. We still haven't seen the original Xbox put to its graphical limits, I like the idea of new releases becoming better over time, rather than having the same old graphics revamped to dampen repetitiveness.

DemonLoki
06-22-2004, 04:57 PM

Totaly agree. I don't want the next xbox to have impaired or reduced ability because they tried to retain backwards compatibility. I would rather they max out the technology, then try implimenting backwards compatibility.

I also hope they include an internal memory storage, just as long as it can hold music, game saves, and not require an extra cost after I bought they system.
(I hate manditory memory cards :cuss: )

E Nomini Patri
06-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Microsoft isn't stupid. There will be some for of storage that doesn't involve memory cards.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Brutus
06-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Like they keep saying with the XNA. If it all goes through, it shouldn't have a problem with it at all. I'm all for it! Backwards compatibility isn't a necessity, but it sure is an added Perk! I have two Xbox's and if I can trade one in and still have LAN party's with the old games I think that would be cool.
But like all of you, if they don't include it, it's not going to leave me feeling all butt hurt.

ShannonX
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
after the xbox 2 is out for a year, i highly doubt i'll be playing any games on my old xbox. maybe halo 2, but if that game comes our for pc, i can always get it for that as well. =)

CMX Jedi
06-22-2004, 07:03 PM
maybe there will be some flash memory in it insted of the hard drive

Brutus
06-22-2004, 07:12 PM
maybe there will be some flash memory in it insted of the hard drive
F flash memory!
RRRRRRaarrgggggghh
SPIRIT OF VENGAR!
-Brutus!

E Nomini Patri
06-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Brutus, I hope you are wearing pants. No one wants to see your "Spirit of Vengar."

gdogg
06-22-2004, 09:03 PM
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6152/Xbox-2-Backward-Compatibility-Rumors-Debunked

E Nomini Patri
06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6152/Xbox-2-Backward-Compatibility-Rumors-Debunked

http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=4883

:rolleyes:

ShadowWolf
06-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Flash Memory? What is that? It must be good if you prefer it...

LynxFX
06-22-2004, 11:14 PM
And not debunked, just not varified as they never will be until MS makes their official announcement which probably won't be for another year. Until then there will be rumors flying every which way. Some will end up being true, some won't.

Another thing about backwards compatibility with consoles that I find ironic is how console gamers tend to voice loud and hard how consoles are not pc's ( :rolleyes: ) yet each year they adobt more and more of pc's concepts. For instance legacy support, or what console gamers try to mask with the term 'backwards compatibility'.

NomadLLama
06-22-2004, 11:33 PM
omg :( no backwards compatability? yeah sure ill keep my xbox... what if it dies and there is no one to replace it? how will i play those old games again? backwards compatability is a nice feature reguardless.

TOTTEN
06-23-2004, 02:37 AM
i will be holding on to my halo box so i dont care about backward compadability. but the memory might be a serious problem unless the memory cards come free with the sysetm and have a massive amount of space on them

E Nomini Patri
06-23-2004, 02:40 AM
Dang it guys, stop thinking about memory cards. This is a new generation of consoles. Microsoft will make memory cards obsolete.

TOTTEN
06-23-2004, 02:52 AM
Dang it guys, stop thinking about memory cards. This is a new generation of consoles. Microsoft will make memory cards obsolete.
we can only hope let me use your favorite words "its not confirmed"
i just got served by quoting you didnt i **** this sux
i :hail: zero flaw

Brutus
06-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Actually they're my Sexy Leather Undy's!

SoundX
06-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Hardrive is the only way to go for me, it needs one. It's such an advantage. I really don't want to use Flash Cards or anything else.
It's a step back in my opinion, not forward.

E Nomini Patri
06-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Hardrive is the only way to go for me, it needs one. It's such an advantage. I really don't want to use Flash Cards or anything else.
It's a step back in my opinion, not forward.

If there is internal flash storage, you won't even notice the difference between it and a normal hard drive.

Brutus
06-23-2004, 12:51 PM
If there is internal flash storage, you won't even notice the difference between it and a normal hard drive.
Except for when you go to Download some new rosters from Xbox Live. Or when you go to burn songs onto it for 'in game play' (Driv3r) Or when you want to Play Halo and it downloads part of the memory onto the hard disc for better memory dispercement. (sp?)

LynxFX
06-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Except for when you go to Download some new rosters from Xbox Live.
No

Or when you go to burn songs onto it for 'in game play' (Driv3r)
No

Or when you want to Play Halo and it downloads part of the memory onto the hard disc for better memory dispercement. (sp?)
No

Brutus
06-23-2004, 05:46 PM
So they're going to make a flash memory card equivelant to 40 GB's? That's be a whopping 2 million 500 thousand Blocks... Hmmm. I don't think it'll perform the same.

TOTTEN
06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
ok then im all for the flash memory 4x the space of the xbox hardrive

LynxFX
06-23-2004, 08:08 PM
So they're going to make a flash memory card equivelant to 40 GB's? That's be a whopping 2 million 500 thousand Blocks... Hmmm. I don't think it'll perform the same.
Ok for one thing, you are way off base on what flash memory is. We aren't talking the joke of a storage device as console memory cards.

Next, there are many different types of flash memory, or solid state storage devices. All vary in performance and size.

Next next, the extra space doesn't hinder the performance at all. Technology advances, size increases, and so does speed. Not the other way around. Solid state memory can be a lot faster than platter based harddrives, and best of all virtually indesctructable with normal use.

Lastly, there's no way we are going to get 40 gigs in the next Xbox unless they come out with a second version like Sony is planning that includes DVR features. That would be a harddrive.

levelzero
06-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Just my two cents.....

Without backwards compatibility I simply will not purchase the system. Moreover, I think it will be doomed to fail without it. If people can play their current game set on the new system, they are more likely to purchase the newer model. That is how Sony was able to sell the PS2 so quickly. It was a transparent upgrade for the end user.

Now, if the new system is a complete departure from the current architecture and the newer system abandons it predecessors game library, it will make the purchase decision a little harder for the consumer. Because, you are having to justify a purchase in which you can no longer take advantage of a previous investment. Whether or not you plan on playing all of your previous games is moot. What matters is does if help you "purchase" the new system.

Backwards compatibility makes the purchase an upgrade, and you are not losing previous investment. Without BC, you are having to sever all ties to previous content and you are now forced to maintain two independent systems.

With such big titles as Doom 3, Half Life 2, Halo 2, and Fable all expected to sell millions of copies, all expected later this year it seems laughable Microsoft would move as early as next year to void all these titles out and expect us to move on to something else so quickly. MS would be committing suicide in the highly competitive gaming industry. And flame on............

Brutus
06-24-2004, 09:33 AM
With all that horsepower in the next system, they aren't going to exclude the Harddrive. The INternal memory is something that you agree on. But do you really think that they're going to develop a giant flash memory chip for who knows how much money when they can just get a chinese guy to make another hard drive for the console and spend like 10 bucks on it! It's nonsense. If there's an internal Memory Schtik, it's going to be a hard-drive.
If not, theres going to be some probs! A lot of people will be mad.
Almost as mad as what levelzero is talking about. I still want all of my games and stuff to be legit, man. I mean, if it's an all-new console, sure, but he's right, a crap load of people bought the PS2 because it was just an upgrade of what they already had. My entire game collection and the mulititudes of $100's of dollars just no longer able to be used?! F that!
I have two consoles, but they're both Xbox's for LAN's. I don't want to get rid of all of that fun time I've had with those, up grading though, I'd do that in a heart beat.

TOTTEN
06-24-2004, 06:50 PM
i they keep the xbox 2s launch price under 300 bucks i wont care for backwards compadability. if its kept cheap it will most likley sell better than the ps3 and with a 1 year head start it will pwn the ps3

BoundBruiser
06-25-2004, 04:55 PM
I think they should release two types of Xbox 2 on for people like me, Lynx and Zero flaw who want move on to the next generation of awesome games and technology, and one for the guys who can't live without playing their old out-dated games.

E Nomini Patri
06-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I think they should release two types of Xbox 2 on for people like me, Lynx and Zero flaw who want move on to the next generation of awesome games and technology, and one for the guys who can't live without playing their old out-dated games.

As I always say. Keep your Xbox if you want to play your old games so bad.

:rolleyes:

ShaDovV RyDer
06-29-2004, 10:54 AM
i was a ninty fan for since i got my super ninty when i was seven...i just loved it...then i got my GC and i was really upset cause all my friends were online with xbox and havin an awesome time talkin with ppl accross the world...i never got to keep my old collection of games without keepin the systems...i kept the systems and really didnt play them again because of the new stuff...when i finally sold all three systems i had i got over 300 bucks for my xbox...if i could sell my system and keep the games for the new system thats a dream come true...i hope they have backwards compatability and im lookin forward to flash memory...itll suk to have to start the old games all over again but itll be worth it to have 20 games to play on the next xbox right from the get go...pce

Conchord
06-29-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't know if you Microsoft knuckleheads are reading these posts, but even CONSIDERING not making xenon backwards compatible is simply idiotic. If ps3 is gonna be BC, and xenon isnt, then its career suicide for the Microsoft consoles...if ps3 AND xenon are, xenon will sell more because most ps2 players now admit that xbox is a better overall console, and will more than likely buy the next one...if ps3 ISNT, and xenon is, well...no ****-you win.

E Nomini Patri
06-29-2004, 09:58 PM
I don't know if you Microsoft knuckleheads are reading these posts, but even CONSIDERING not making xenon backwards compatible is simply idiotic. If ps3 is gonna be BC, and xenon isnt, then its career suicide for the Microsoft consoles...if ps3 AND xenon are, xenon will sell more because most ps2 players now admit that xbox is a better overall console, and will more than likely buy the next one...if ps3 ISNT, and xenon is, well...no ****-you win.

The Xbox isn't backwards compatible, and it sold great. Not like it can be backwards compatible. But, it still isn't and doesn't need that feature to sell well. As it has already proved. See my point?

ScorpionX
06-29-2004, 10:04 PM
The Xbox isn't backwards compatible, and it sold great. Not like it can be backwards compatible. But, it still isn't and doesn't need that feature to sell well. As it has already proved. See my point?

So how is that evidence that the Xenon will sell just as well as PS3? Its the first generation of MS consoles, plus PS2 has sold much better than Xbox, and has a much better profit. Not making the Xbox BC will just hurt its sales even more.

levelzero
06-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Not making the Xbox BC will just hurt its sales even more.

Agreed. Further, I really find the language of "old" games amusing. When the next Xbox system launches, there will still be original Xbox games on the best seller list that some of you guys refer to as "old". My local Toys R Us still carries PS1 games. Do you think Sony thinks of those game sales figures as "old". Hardly.

I have a very difficult time believing that by late next year I would have already grown tired of Doom3, Half Life2, Fable, Halo2, etc...

I still enjoy Halo 1, I don't consider it "old".

Moreover, I don't fully understand the argument against the included backwards compatibility. There is no reason to believe that next generation hardware will have to be neglected so that the ability to play original Xbox games can be implemented. I have seen people debate emulation over the net for a while and most of it I simply dismiss. These people are not system engineers and really are just repeating things they have read posted by other "I type smarter than I am" people on the net. Microsoft acquired VirtualPC, and I still believe emulation is a very possible option.

As I have reflected upon this topic a little further I have really come to believe that if the next system launches without BC, it will crash and burn. Die hard fans will purchase the system initially which will reflect a decent launch. Then it will quickly tamper off. And Sony will enjoy the benefits of those weak sales figures. Sony is a giant in this business right now, the only way to beat them is to observe how they have been so successful, copy what they have done right, then improve upon where they have failed. BC is one thing that Sony did very right. It made the PS2 fly off the showroom. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAY THEIR OLD GAMES. It matters that the feature help them to make the initial purchase decision. BC must be there.

Brutus
06-30-2004, 11:25 AM
The only reason why I want BC is because of the stellar games that I have now. Never before have my console games kicked so much butt and come with so many pluses. You know, 5.1 surround sound and High Def support.
I still don't mind playing 007 on the N64, barely. I just don't play it myself because I don't have the console. If I did though, I'd probably still do it! Especially if I could just plug that Gem of a game into my current Xbox! That'd be sweet!
M$ released a tid bit of information about a Microsoft Next PC that's window's based and is used to run PC and Xbox & Xbox next games on it. Where did that article go?
Anyhow, that looked interesting. In it they were talking about BC, HArd Drive, Web Surfing Functions, Camera functions. (I think it's in the Xbox 2 discussion)
ANyhow, it looks like they're moving closer to the thing in your living room, hooked to your HDTV that acts as your DVD Player, your cable box, your internet, your game console, your movie recorder, and your visual telephone.
If it can do all that, I'll be happy, but I'd still be sad if the next box can't play Halo one & two.

Conchord
06-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Compared to the ps2, xbox DID NOT sell great. And if xenon wont be able to play xbox games, then it will sell even worse and lose a lot of customers...I sure know that I didnt spend 200 bucks on this xbox and another 1000+ on games just to never play them again in another year.

E Nomini Patri
06-30-2004, 12:12 PM
I sure know that I didnt spend 200 bucks on this xbox and another 1000+ on games just to never play them again in another year.

Why the hell wouldn't you play them again? Are you getting rid of your Xbox?

I shouldn't have to repeat myself like this...

Backwards compatibility is pointless. Keep your Xbox, simple as that.

As I always say. Keep your Xbox if you want to play your old games so bad.

N1ghtM4r3
06-30-2004, 02:46 PM
I dont really care if it is BC, the only good part about it is you can sell your old x-box to buy a new one.

Conchord
06-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Why the hell wouldn't you play them again? Are you getting rid of your Xbox?

I shouldn't have to repeat myself like this...

Its simple pelasures in life...pleasures like being able to just pop in your old xbxo games into your new xenon system without having to unplug and plug two systems in...

E Nomini Patri
06-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Its simple pelasures in life...pleasures like being able to just pop in your old xbxo games into your new xenon system without having to unplug and plug two systems in...

lazy people < poop

:p

Conchord
06-30-2004, 07:40 PM
lazy people < poop

:p

Im not lazy...Im just motivationally challenged.

Brutus
07-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm probably never going to get rid of my HALO SE XBOX. But I'd still like to have be able to buy just one Xenon. Run LAN's and save my old Hardware, especially all those game saves!

severd hed
07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
are there really that many of you who sell their old systems when the new one comes out? if so, why? dont you ever have the desire to go back and play them? sure, backwards compatibility is cool..but how many of you actually play PSX games in your PS2? and for those of you who do...how often?

sure, it would be cool for xbox 2 to play xbox games..but even if it does, i wont be getting rid of my xboxes. almost everyone i know keeps several consoles connected at once so they can play them. so unhooking one and connecting another isnt really an issue. i dont keep all of them hooked up..but usually the 5 most recent ones. a few weeks ago, i had NES, snes, saturn, turbografx 16, and sega genesis/32x/sega CD, jaguar, and atari 2600 hooked up..as well as my newer consoles. but that was a bit much.

my point is that i dont see backwards compatibility, or lack there of, seriously affecting the sale of xbox 2. so if xbox 2 comes out, has some great games..im going to buy it...regardless if i can play Halo on it...that's what my xboxes are for. in fact, i don really like the fact that ps2 is backwards compatible..because now my playstation that i bought just sits there collecting dust..becuase it is essentially worthless. if i want to play an old saturn game, super nintendo game..i get out the system, hook it up and have some fun...but if i want to play a playstation game..i just put it in my ps2...and it just isnt as fun. you lose that whole nostalgia feeling. instead of the fun and excitement of firing up an older system and recalling the fun you had with it...you just get that "why am i playing this old game, when i have newer, better ones to play" feeling.

Peepers
07-01-2004, 02:10 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: backwards compatability is crucial espescially since Halo 3 (if there will be one) won't be ready to be launch title for the Xbox's successor.

E Nomini Patri
07-01-2004, 02:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: backwards compatability is crucial espescially since Halo 3 (if there will be one) won't be ready to be launch title for the Xbox's successor.

Halo 3 will sell units by itself, if there is one. Not to mention that it will be on Xbox 2, not Xbox. Why would Bungie hold themselves back? And I'm sure Microsoft would like a title like Halo 3 on the Xenon, so that speaks for itself.

Conchord
07-01-2004, 02:35 PM
are there really that many of you who sell their old systems when the new one comes out? if so, why? dont you ever have the desire to go back and play them? sure, backwards compatibility is cool..but how many of you actually play PSX games in your PS2? and for those of you who do...how often?

See...its not a matter of will I play my old games with the mob, its can I play my old games.

:hail: mass america's logic :hail:

levelzero
07-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Here is my point, there isn't going to be the huge tech gap between the systems in the next generation releases that there is today. The PS2 is a toy hardware wise compared to the Xbox. The MS Xbox 2 will not have that advantage once the next generation systems start to compete. What will separate them? Content. The PS3 will be able to play PS1 and PS2 games. Therefore at launch, the PS3 will have a huge game library dwarfing that of the Xbox 2 system. Now, if the Xbox doesn't ship with backwards compatibility, they would have crippled themselves even further. Instead of having several titles at launch, the system will only have a few. It will not work.

Bakeman
07-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Man I am sure glad I don't care about my old games. It's one less thing to worry about. I feel bad for all these people worrying "Oh no I won't be able to play my 3+ year old game".

I have aboslutely no desire to play even some of the early xbox games. They are 2 years old, some of which have sequels. No reason to play them what so ever.

Well from that I think you know my answer.... SCREW LEGACY SUPPORT

Stormlord
07-01-2004, 05:19 PM
What people don't see with no backwards compatibility is that MS will change controller layout. People hated that Duke was altered to Controller S. If that happens the Black and White buttons will be either eliminated or actually placed like the PS2 layout. If the controls are changed anymore than they already are then Xbox's new FPS and action titles might not be as easy to use as before. Just think about that for a little.

Bakeman
07-01-2004, 07:08 PM
What people don't see with no backwards compatibility is that MS will change controller layout. People hated that Duke was altered to Controller S. If that happens the Black and White buttons will be either eliminated or actually placed like the PS2 layout. If the controls are changed anymore than they already are then Xbox's new FPS and action titles might not be as easy to use as before. Just think about that for a little.

Just because it doesn't have legacy support doesn't mean they have to change the controller. They might.... but that doesn't mean they will.

Why should we worry about the next system so much. Let's all go back to playing our xbox and enjoy it while we have it. Then when we know EXACTLY what the next systems are going to be and they are goingt o be ready to come out in just a few weeks then we can get all excited about them and forget about our xbox. And play xbox2 or whatever system you perfer out of the next gen consoles.

Peepers
07-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Halo 3 will sell units by itself, if there is one. Not to mention that it will be on Xbox 2, not Xbox. Why would Bungie hold themselves back? And I'm sure Microsoft would like a title like Halo 3 on the Xenon, so that speaks for itself.

What I'm saying is, that since Xbox 2 will not have it's most anticipated game (Halo 3) as a launch title, it could really use a big library of games upfront to compensate for that.

Bakeman
07-03-2004, 07:43 PM
What I'm saying is, that since Xbox 2 will not have it's most anticipated game (Halo 3) as a launch title, it could really use a big library of games upfront to compensate for that.

Have we gotten a release date for xbox 2 from microsoft? I know everyone is saying 2005 for Xbox2, but that just doesn't seem right.

It's surprising to me that they would bring it out in 2005. Anyways I'm just saying that it would be better for teh xbox 2 to come out later with the release of Halo 3.

Peepers
07-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Have we gotten a release date for xbox 2 from microsoft? I know everyone is saying 2005 for Xbox2, but that just doesn't seem right.[/QUOTE

I've also heard 2005. If it happens in 2005 it will probably be in late 2005--say November 15, 2005.

[QUOTE]
It's surprising to me that they would bring it out in 2005. Anyways I'm just saying that it would be better for teh xbox 2 to come out later with the release of Halo 3.

All things being equal, it would be best for the release of Halo 3 and Xbox 2 to coincide, but realistically that would probably mean pushing the Xbox 2 back until late 2006 at the earliest. In short, it's pretty much impossible unless they do a major rush job on Halo 3.

Conchord
07-04-2004, 02:08 AM
. In short, it's pretty much impossible unless they do a major rush job on Halo 3.

From what Ive heard, there isnt going to be a Halo 3. Halo 2 is supposedly the last one.

Peepers
07-04-2004, 02:29 AM
From what Ive heard, there isnt going to be a Halo 3. Halo 2 is supposedly the last one.

I've heard that too, but I kinda doubt MS and bungie will give up on the cash cow. Moreover, Masterchief has become and Xbox icon--one we shouldn't be left without.

Bakeman
07-04-2004, 02:47 AM
I've heard that too, but I kinda doubt MS and bungie will give up on the cash cow. Moreover, Masterchief has become and Xbox icon--one we shouldn't be left without.

I agree, just seems like a bad idea to give up on halo after just 2. They can make so much more money out of it.

I would like it better if PS3 and Xbox2 wait until 2006. I don't think we are going to need the next gen systems in 2005.

Brutus
07-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Have we gotten a release date for xbox 2 from microsoft? I know everyone is saying 2005 for Xbox2, but that just doesn't seem right.

Everything Summed up into one:
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...y.php?id=106381
It contains all of the specs on Xenon... &:
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...y.php?id=106364
How we'll probably end up with BC
Alright. Just copy & paste the links. But yeah, I'll be playing my Xenon in November of '05. Being released with Gems such as Half-Life 2, Doom 3: Optimized, Perfect Dark, Some type of Splinter Cell and then the one they're talking about, that war one.
With XNA, more and more developers are jumping on the Microsoft window's based programming. Square Enix will be developing on future microsoft projects, including consoles. & every other good game that is on the verge.
Can we all ask the question: Why did XSN sports take a year off of developing sports games for the current Xbox. They announced they'll be back next year! Same time as the release with the Xenon. Fever '05, in a real way! Amped 3! Project Gotham Racing 3! NHL Rivals '05!
The list goes on & on. With a console that's easy to develop for, they're going to be coming out with the same material as before, a perfect integration of First Party Titles, as well as third party solid games. I'm looking forward to it all!
My only beef is that I hope it carries the Hard-Drive. We'll see I suppose.

Gronok
07-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I really don't care either, I am getting Xbox 2 even if they will need Memory Cards. I love xbox and I love xbox games and I always will. If its going to go backwards that will suck that I wont be able to play my old xbox games on xbox 2. But I am getting it either ways and i am sure it will be awesome.

E Nomini Patri
07-07-2004, 01:42 PM

There has been nothing said to clarify that Halo 2 is the last Halo. Nor has there been anything said to clarify that there will be a Halo 3. It's all rumors, down to the last punctuation mark.

Brutus
07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
There has been nothing said to clarify that Halo 2 is the last Halo. Nor has there been anything said to clarify that there will be a Halo 3. It's all rumors, down to the last punctuation mark.
Totally, man. There was nothing to signify a Doom III either. Now look what we're looking at.

XBX_Junior_XBX
07-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Yes, I do wanna see backwards compatibility for the xbox and also a huge darn harddrive in it. I do not want go back to memory cards.

Brutus
07-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Boycott on FLash Memory cards! ARGHH!!!

Stormlord
07-24-2004, 07:42 PM
I'd really like to see legacy support but I doubt that it's a system seller. I mean for years I've bought systems with no BC...but if you can then why the hell not? BC can help boost sales, what has a lot of people excited about the Nintendo DS is that it can play GBA games. Either way I'll still get the next Xbox.

But on a side note you should see something. Remember when Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and Madden dominated the sales charts, and yet almost 3 years old and Halo still is in the top 10 or 20 sales. Some people still want to play the old games. If anything, just wait till someone makes something similar to the Bleemcast so you can run old Xbox games on the new one.

Brutus
07-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Man, if it's so hard for them to make the console itself Backwards Compatible, they ought to take & remake the games optimized for their Video Card! You know, like re-release Doom III & Half-Life 2 as New games for $19.99 optimized for Xenon or XboxNext, whatever you want to call it.
I think they may but I don't know how the Nvidia & Radeon's are as far as programming differences.
They could re-release a lot of stellar games that way, right out of the gates:
Thief, Rainbow Six 3, HALO 2, Battlefield 1942, Doom III & Half Life 2's are given's but look at all of the PC games out now that had to be tuned down just for the Xbox to even handle? Morrowind anyone? Imagine it even better! I don't have a PC that'll play games worth a darn so a console is definitely my Game Spot of Choice.
I hope they throw in something like this. It'd add a certain coolness to a new machine: A boat load of killer software, right out of the box!!!

SoundX
07-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Man, if it's so hard for them to make the console itself Backwards Compatible, they ought to take & remake the games optimized for their Video Card! You know, like re-release Doom III & Half-Life 2 as New games for $19.99 optimized for Xenon or XboxNext, whatever you want to call it.
I think they may but I don't know how the Nvidia & Radeon's are as far as programming differences.
They could re-release a lot of stellar games that way, right out of the gates:
Thief, Rainbow Six 3, HALO 2, Battlefield 1942, Doom III & Half Life 2's are given's but look at all of the PC games out now that had to be tuned down just for the Xbox to even handle? Morrowind anyone? Imagine it even better! I don't have a PC that'll play games worth a darn so a console is definitely my Game Spot of Choice.
I hope they throw in something like this. It'd add a certain coolness to a new machine: A boat load of killer software, right out of the box!!!

That's a damn good idea. But even so, I don't think anyone would want to pay even a small amount like $20 for games they've already bought. Say the Xbox has 20 killer games that you want to keep with you and play on the X2. That's still a damn lot of money to pay for games you already own.

This is a stupid idea but they could offer them for download through the X2's online service, as long as you have proof of purchase or something. That type of thing anyway.

Brutus
07-27-2004, 11:07 AM
That's a damn good idea. But even so, I don't think anyone would want to pay even a small amount like $20 for games they've already bought. Say the Xbox has 20 killer games that you want to keep with you and play on the X2. That's still a damn lot of money to pay for games you already own.

This is a stupid idea but they could offer them for download through the X2's online service, as long as you have proof of purchase or something. That type of thing anyway.
True, that would be optimum. Download it. I like the idea that it can read my game right out of the box though. That'd be sweet...
I was just saying that if I could buy Half Life 2 Optimized with that Xenon Muscle @ $19.99 or even HALO 1 & 2 optimized & on the same disc for the Xenon, I wouldn't be too sad about losing it.
I mean, it's cheasy to say what I'm about to, but for the first time EVER in video gaming have we gotten so attached to these machines. (Only because they're so cool.)

I.E. - Just the other day when I was binge-ing on some ESPN 2K5 when I wanted to take the save file from my living room Xbox to the Bedroom one... I'm scrolling through the save files over the last few years & I'm like - "Wow". (I.E.) It shows the date & time that you were there... Like that time when I should have been sleeping for work @ 4:15 AM on a thursday finishing up Deus Ex invisible war a year ago.
I guess, what I'm saying is that box has so much crap that it would be detrimental to see it go. Man, I've painted it & ruled so many poor saps on it for years now. Easily the most used console I've ever had.
When I bought my new S.E. Halo Xbox, I didn't get rid of the old one. It's been through so much. I painted it & then the Thomson Drive went out. Instead of chucking it (COuldn't send to M$ it was painted) I replaced the drive. Now if it was my old Dreamcast or PS2, I'd have just chucked it, but this thing has YEARS(!) of Memories locked on a metallic disc attached to it's innards! That's why the things get attached to us. The Memories. (For example, playing Fever '04 on the fourth of July, It recongnizes it & says, "Happy Fourth of July!" I almost crapped my pants!)
Man, my dad visited from Iowa & his Character in HALO is there untouched, preserved.
I tell you, M$, if you want to pry this machine from our hands, you'd better do it the right way. Put the Harddrive in Xenon, & just make sure you put those good games out. The one's with the Good Memories. Then I'll gladly make a transition.
How's that for Backwards Compatibility?

RinG_WuRm
07-30-2004, 11:49 AM
It doesn't seem like the hardware is dated yet... I am a little puzzled by a 2005 xbox2,,, I hope that it would be backwards compatible, it really wouldn't stop me from buying one tho~, I would just wait a bit for the first price drop...

Brutus
07-30-2004, 11:57 AM
IMO, it's in Microsoft's best opinion to do BackComp. because if not, then they'll literally be trying to support two consoles simultaneously.
Bill G. Himself knows that if you try to compete against yourself, it'll put you in the ground.

SoundX
08-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Now that I think about it, all the consoles I've seen without backwards compatibility have always lost out to the consoles with it. And think about how much more possible success consoles like the Dreamcast and GCN would probably have had with that feature.
It's one of the prime features that the buyer looks for, reguardless of how much use they actualy get out of. PS1 owners logical choice being the PS2, GBA gamers logical choice being the Nintendo DS. Makes sense, even though they'll probably get min play from it.

They can't really support two machines at once. It's made easy for say Playstation One, where they can design a game for that and then not worry about what machine is used for it. When your constantly working on two seperate projects, in the same current buisness, your screwed.

death0crow
08-03-2004, 03:59 AM
I think that it would be dumb to come out with one of the biggest games to ever come out on console ( :hump: Halo 2 :hump: ) , then not have Xbox 2 be backwards compatible. As for the memory cards, I don't like em, never have, never will. The little things are always getting lost.

Brutus
08-03-2004, 09:42 AM
I think that it would be dumb to come out with one of the biggest games to ever come out on console ( :hump: Halo 2 :hump: ) , then not have Xbox 2 be backwards compatible. As for the memory cards, I don't like em, never have, never will. The little things are always getting lost.
No doubt. I can see it already. Even if it is a HUGE memory stick & holds a lot of information. I'll be saving a game & My A.C. will kick on & then the power outage & then when I turn the console back on & it'll tell me that the whole memory stick's memory was corrupted. Great! I just lost all saves! I'm so not looking to use those stupid memory cards, or the sticks. In fact if they do, especially at my age, I'm just going to get out of Videogames all together. I've experienced a lot, but I'm not going to get set back. & being set back also includes not being able to play the game of the century on my current machine.

SoundX
08-04-2004, 12:37 PM

I highly doubt that, to some extent anyway. I'm sure they'll carry on making First Person Shooters, remember the Marathon links to Halo? They may well just start a new series.

ScorpionX
08-04-2004, 12:53 PM

Exactly. Halo 2 comes out late 2004, and the next Xbox supposedly is coming out in 2005.... Well it has been 3 years since Halo came out and I still play it 3-4 times a week. Theres no doubt I will still be addicted to Halo 2 when the next Xbox comes out, and I will want to play it! :D

SoundX
08-05-2004, 04:35 AM
They said no 05 X2 release.

If they plan to keep the Xbox going as well as the X2, then backwards compatibility won't be needed, but then we'll all be worrying about how they can support the two. And probably the rejection of Xbox ;)