PDA

View Full Version : phillips bad?

WoOtY BaLLa
06-23-2004, 12:23 PM
hey i was wondering wut were the things that were wrong with the PHILLIPS DVD drive becuz i found out i hav it. like hows it worse than a samsung?

SoundX
06-23-2004, 12:27 PM
There is nothing wrong with the Phillips drive. It happens to be extremely reliable and will read alot more media than Thompsons. There is no real difference between it and the Samsung. The Samsung just reads more media, usualy.

But I wouldn't be bothered by the fact it is a little bit better, because there is plenty of media the Phillips will read. I believe it reads CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW. And so on, so forth.

LiquidX
06-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I have a Phillips and it wont read CD-R's only RW's. Never tried any burnt DVD's so I dont know about that. Its as reliable as a Samsung drive, it just doesnt read the same types of discs.

Variation-XBA
06-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Unless its giving you problems, who cares if its not as good as the other drives? I have a launch day xbox with the thompson drive and it still works perfectly. :P

Trento52
06-23-2004, 08:04 PM
my philips dvd drive in xbox and dvd player downstairs have some problems with certain dvds. Usually not that big of a deal like some glitchy things in scary movie 3 and some big time problems in cheap ****ty flims sometimes.

l Maximus l
06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Samsung drive here...works good...But, I haven't heard anything bad about Phillips drives...only that it's very quiet and runs nicely.

LiquidX
06-23-2004, 08:20 PM
it's very quiet and runs nicely.

True that. First time I heard my friends Samsung I thought it was broken. Then he freaked out and thought it was broken when I showed him how quiet mine is.

Darkside
06-23-2004, 08:22 PM
I forgot how to tell what you have?
some one please tell me!

TOTTEN
06-23-2004, 09:29 PM
ok darkside the
tomson looks like a dildo with no head
the philips looks like a dildo with a circular head
and the samsung has a alot of holes

Variation-XBA
06-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I forgot how to tell what you have?
some one please tell me!

voila

Darkside
06-23-2004, 10:12 PM
ok it looks like a U
so I'm guessin thats a philips.

but it won't play cd-r's

edit: never mind that I got a thompson. DAMMIT!
:bang:
I need a new one anyway, I'm tired of sharing with sibling

AlBoogy
06-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Ive had 3 xbox's. First one, launch xbox w/thompson, it took a dump. Second was a phillips but problems were with the controller ports so cant really blame it on the drive. Finally I got a samsung and have had no problems whatsoever. I realize the likelihood of having 2 xbox's screw up on you arent likely but these are my experiences so far. The samsung has left a good impression on me and not to mention it plays cdr and most dvdr.

Reclaimer
06-23-2004, 10:55 PM
My launch box with a tompson died not too long ago. My replacement Xbox, the Halo Edition has a Philips, and it's been working like a charm. In fact, I swear it's a bit faster.

TOTTEN
06-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I swear it's a bit faster.
me too but i got a samsung in my halo box :hump:

WoOtY BaLLa
06-24-2004, 01:27 AM
hey but can phillips xboxes play dvdr's?

so could u play burnt dvdr like with alot of music on them or sumthin compared to cdr's??

SoundX
06-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Why must there be so many of these damn threads? Why can't people use google to get answers anymore? Pffft...

Anyway, while we're on the topic, for the tenth time. My Phillips isn't that quiet compared to my Thompson. Still, both are way more silent than my friends Samsung.

TheWheelMan
06-25-2004, 11:19 AM
i really wish someone could tell me what is wrong with my xbox it plays and everything its just if a game has any scrathes it will play alittle iffy sometimes it crashes and i think during cutscenes in games or sometimes in the game the graphics get alittle dimmed down plus ive only found 1 song that does it so far but it skips like 10 seconds out of the beginning of a song in my soundtracks im not really sure what the hell is wrong with it :huh:

Darkside
06-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Well I have no Idea, but I overheard my parents talking about getting me another Xbox, a new TV and Live for my birthday.
so maybe I'll get a philips, or a Samsung,

MaxPain
06-26-2004, 04:16 AM
I had a thompson since launch day. I Finally picked up a new one today. Got a phillips drive with it. : )

my thompson was garbage.. wouldnt read half my games.. froze up all the time.. etc.. etc..

this phillips runs like a new car.. so quiet.. I swear its faster also! :cool:

SoundX
06-26-2004, 08:55 AM
I had a thompson since launch day. I Finally picked up a new one today. Got a phillips drive with it. : )

my thompson was garbage.. wouldnt read half my games.. froze up all the time.. etc.. etc..

this phillips runs like a new car.. so quiet.. I swear its faster also! :cool:

Yeah, exactly the same here.

It does seem faster.

Prankster101
06-26-2004, 12:21 PM
I still got my lauch box with the thompson, tho it is very loud and cant read some disc sometimes. but i dont have any money to get a replacement. :bang:

SoundX
06-26-2004, 12:57 PM
I still got my lauch box with the thompson, tho it is very loud and cant read some disc sometimes. but i dont have any money to get a replacement. :bang:

Why not try some methods to fix it? I won't go into detail, but places like Xbox-Scene.com have some very good walkthroughs.

Of course do it at your own risk, and it could be that there is no way to fix it.

David Luckey
06-28-2004, 04:52 AM
I got an XBox for my 17th birthday, Jan 24 of '03
It was one that came with Sega Gt 2002/Jet Set Radio Future
It has a Thompson...Works fine, it is pretty quiet, but it won't read CDR's, but it will read CDRW's...after I take the disk out and put it back in, after about the tenth dirty disk error, it works. Xbox games and DVD's work perfectly, and so do origonal CD's, no complaints.
What are the downsides of Thompsons besides the lack of ability to read cdr's and rw's, will it eventually break down (within a year?)

SoundX
06-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Not the new ones, no, the launch ones (I have one) crap out after around a year sometimes, yeah.

But I got mine fixed while I had some other stuff done to it.

blonks
06-28-2004, 05:26 PM
xbox must be a crappy system if some of the consoles cant last 3 years...for goodness sake... i have a 20 year old nintendo and it works perfectly!

and BTW... i have a luanch thompson xbox...works perfectly after 3 years...

-Natas-
06-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I have a V1.0 xbox with a Thomson and it works great. Plays any form of media I throw at it. I got a Halo SE Xbox also and it's got a Phillips. The Phillips is faster and quieter then the Thomson but the Phillips will not read CD-R's and the Thomson does. :watchout:

I've posted this info before but as a reminder to anyone about to get an xbox that the last 2 digits of the serial number tells you which drive the xbox has. 02=Thomson, 05=Phillips, and 06=Samsung. So you know what drive you get before you buy it since you can see the serial number thru the hole in the back of the box. :)

Darkside
06-28-2004, 09:08 PM
OH good now I can do that when I go shopping!

N1ghtM4r3
07-02-2004, 11:02 AM
i have a Phillips and it is wearing out, it only plays about half the dvds i try and it wont play GTA 3 or Vice City at all any more. Also, sometimes my xbox wont turn on, so i come back a few minutes later then it will work fine.

-Natas-
07-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your phillips. You can get a new lens unit for a phillips off the net for like $40 or a whole new drive starting at $59.00 (Thomson). Might be something to look into. :confused: