PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 2 Specs Leaked

Shadow20002
06-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Basic Hardware Specifications

Xenon is powered by a 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC processor and a 500+ MHz ATI graphics processor. Xenon has 256+ MB of unified memory. Xenon runs a custom operating system based on MS® Windows NT®, similar to the Xbox operating system. The graphics interface is a superset of MS® Direct3D® version 9.0.
CPU

The Xenon CPU is a custom processor based on PowerPC technology. The CPU includes three independent processors (cores) on a single die. Each core runs at 3.5+ GHz. The Xenon CPU can issue two instructions per clock cycle per core. At peak performance, Xenon can issue 21 billion instructions per second.

The Xenon CPU was designed by IBM in close consultation with the Xbox team, leading to a number of revolutionary additions, including a dot product instruction for extremely fast vector math and custom security features built directly into the silicon to prevent piracy and hacking.

Each core has two symmetric hardware threads (SMT), for a total of six hardware threads available to games. Not only does the Xenon CPU include the standard set of PowerPC integer and floating-point registers (one set per hardware thread), the Xenon CPU also includes 128 vector (VMX) registers per hardware thread. This astounding number of registers can drastically improve the speed of common mathematical operations.

Just take it out. :)

CMX Jedi
06-23-2004, 04:42 PM
sweet.

LynxFX
06-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Here's another article on it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55873

Fixed your link Shadow, before it was just to their forums. We don't want that. :p

Darkside
06-24-2004, 12:58 AM
Seems interesting, but I don't care about Xbox 2 right now.

I just want my wish list.

Reclaimer
06-24-2004, 01:35 AM
I just think there's plenty of life left in my trusty xbox.
Granted this is MS's way of planning for the future to stay in competition, I just hope at any point we don't sell our beloved box short for the sake of the Xenon.
Backward compatiblity is the key here. It would be foolish for MS to disenfranschise it's loyal user base by not including that. It is possible, albeit not easily though.

AlphaCigara
06-24-2004, 02:06 AM
Some interesting news i saw from this article, other than Xenon is the Xbox 2's code name...

At the time of this writing, the decision to include a built-in hard disk in every Xenon console has not been made. If a hard disk is not included in every console, it will certainly be available as an integrated add-on component.

•People often ask if Xenon can be backward compatible with Xbox. Although the architecture of the two consoles is quite different, Xenon has the processing power to emulate Xbox. Whether Xenon will be backward compatible involves a variety of factors, not the least of which is the massive development and testing effort required to allow Xbox games run on Xenon.

Bakeman
06-24-2004, 02:06 AM
Backward compatiblity is the key here. It would be foolish for MS to disenfranschise it's loyal user base by not including that. It is possible, albeit not easily though.

I just don't see why it's so important. After I get Xbox 2, why do I want to play any of my sports games on Xbox 2 !?!?! They'll be outdated... Why would I want to play Splinter Cell on Xbox 2... I should have it beaten by then. Or any other game for that matter.

I just don't understand why so many people want backwards capability

Reclaimer
06-24-2004, 02:08 AM
I just don't see why it's so important. After I get Xbox 2, why do I want to play any of my sports games on Xbox 2 !?!?! They'll be outdated... Why would I want to play Splinter Cell on Xbox 2... I should have it beaten by then. Or any other game for that matter.

Because I play the hell out of my old games. I keep old games around because I enjoy them. Conflict Desert Storm still gets played by me and my buddies.
I don't want two consoles. I'm all in favor of a new Xbox, I just want to be able to play "my classics".

LTM360
06-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Exactly, though I'm not one to get rid of a console, I would give my Xbox to my brother should Xenon have backwards compatibility. I personally don't like Microsoft hurring the release of Xenon (2005), I am hoping/expecting a delay into 2006 though which will go along with N5 and Playstation 3. I expect the consoles to range from $350-500, and games to be $40 tops, instead of $50. The specs, are nice, but I don't see any reason to care, because... well I don't, and there isn't any real reason to care, it's just here for Sony to take advantage of the known knowledge, and if they are smart (and they are known to be stupid about not using an advantage) they'll push thier specs beyond that of Xenon.

thrAsher
06-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Backwards compatibility is a moot point. I'm w/ Bakeman on this. I could care less. I'll most likely keep my old Xbox when the 'Xenon' comes out. I'm more worried about having a hard drive and a more diverse lineup of games. If it looks like it's gonna be as shooter-centric as this version, I'll most likely stay away.

bostwick202
06-24-2004, 12:49 PM
I expect the consoles to range from $350-500, and games to be $40 tops, instead of $50.

If anything i would expect them to be more. From this article it looks like developing Xbox 2 games is gonna be a b****. Though the ps3 sounds even harder with that whole cell-processor speculation.

CuartoDePuto
06-24-2004, 02:32 PM
I heard that xbox 2 would be around 600 dollars and ps3 around 500. But what do i know

(not much)

Spaztic
06-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Well these specs were leaked about a month ago on a japanese website. It is interesting none the less. Sounds like a killer system. MS should wait to see what sony has under there sleves. $600 seems a bit expensive. Trust me I make enough but I won't even consider getting this system till it is at least in the 300 range. I like the fact that they have counter measures that prevent piracy, just like this xbox had....if it can be made it can be hacked! My perdiction is within 6 months of release!

AlphaCigara
06-24-2004, 04:38 PM
I remember back when the PS1/N64 first came out, they were is the 300-400, hell maybe even $500 price range. If these next-gen consoles are even more than that, screw it. I know for sure i can't afford something in that range with these new consoles, so hopefully it'll drop a few months after the release...

CrazyCougar
06-24-2004, 05:08 PM
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EplZAyukEVDWcUicJE.php

There's another Link confirming a lot of the specs. This stuff definitely makes for intresting reading and puts a lot of thoughts in your head. But in the end, we'll just have to wait and see what is in store for us.

l Maximus l
06-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Honestly, if the XBox 2 is $600, as guessed by a couple people here, I'll definately wait until the price comes down on that...that's ridiculous for a game console. I doubt it will happen...I'm guessing $300...$350 max.

Darkside
06-24-2004, 08:41 PM
I usually wait a year until they come out to see what there is to get
So I'll get in 2006.

Shadow20002
06-24-2004, 10:35 PM
I will just pick it if the price is around 400$ CAN.

Unreal
06-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Its good when there are dry spells in a consoles library. The PS2 was dry at launch IMO and therefore, bc was a plus. :D

CRAYMAN
06-25-2004, 05:17 PM

Xenon is powered by a 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC processor and a 500+ MHz ATI graphics processor. Xenon has 256+ MB of unified memory. Xenon runs a custom operating system based on MS® Windows NT®, similar to the Xbox operating system. The graphics interface is a superset of MS® Direct3D® version 9.0.
CPU

The Xenon CPU is a custom processor based on PowerPC technology. The CPU includes three independent processors (cores) on a single die. Each core runs at 3.5+ GHz. The Xenon CPU can issue two instructions per clock cycle per core. At peak performance, Xenon can issue 21 billion instructions per second.

The Xenon CPU was designed by IBM in close consultation with the Xbox team, leading to a number of revolutionary additions, including a dot product instruction for extremely fast vector math and custom security features built directly into the silicon to prevent piracy and hacking.

Each core has two symmetric hardware threads (SMT), for a total of six hardware threads available to games. Not only does the Xenon CPU include the standard set of PowerPC integer and floating-point registers (one set per hardware thread), the Xenon CPU also includes 128 vector (VMX) registers per hardware thread. This astounding number of registers can drastically improve the speed of common mathematical operations.

Is that good? :D :confused: :eek:

SPARTAN VI
06-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Sounds expensive... but hell, if financing is available... :bang: :eek:

skorp
06-25-2004, 11:22 PM

CPU

Just take it out. :)

I don't understand about half of those specs.... :confused:

But it sounds good to me!!!! :hump:

oldi1knoby
06-26-2004, 07:39 AM
I could care less if it has backwards compatability on games. What, I wanna play Halo on my new Xenon when I could be playing Halo 3? Or whatever is the big new game for this monster of a machine. Quake 4 anyone?!?!

One thing they BETTER do is make the controllers from my Xbox work with the new console. I don't wanna have to buy more controllers when I have two pefectly good working ones here.