PDA

View Full Version : new games or used?

Huckleberry
06-25-2004, 10:57 AM
i rarely buy a game right when it comes out. i think in the past year i bought sc:pb and rs3 just so i could get online w/my friends. for the most part, though, i wait for them to show up used at gamespot. with the 10 dollar membership, the games are all 10% off then. and when you add in the specials they run, like buy 2, get 1 free, it makes for much cheaper game buying.

how do you all do it? preorder on everything and have it the first day, or wait and hear how everyone else beat the game, and then buy it?

SoundX
06-25-2004, 11:01 AM
I have never bought a used Xbox Video Game in my life, I had such bad luck with Dreamcast and Playstation games. When they were all on cartridge, it was fine, but not anymore.

I don't like getting used stuff anyway, and generaly it's on the shelves because it sucks.

I do pre-order alot of games, the essentials, like Halo 2, Project Gotham 2, Rallisports Challenge 2. Otherwise I'll wait for awhile.

Darkside
06-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Lots of times I buy New Games, much safer than buying old games IMO

But essentials are pre-order material like Halo 2, Fable, and others.

severd hed
06-25-2004, 11:53 AM
i used to buy all of them new..but soon got sick of paying so much. if it is something essential, i will preorder it and get it right away..but most of the time, i buy preowned...and usually older games. we dont have gamestop here..but i have a subscription to GMR, which gets me 10% off preowned stuff at EB..so it is worth it.

jelgiad
06-25-2004, 02:12 PM
99% of the time i buy new games. The only xbox game i bought used was Oddworld, and that was an exception. The only reason i bought it used was because i wanted the normal case and not the platinum hit case. I do wait on most games till the price goes down. I'll play it either at a friend's house or rent it, see if it's any good, and most of the time ill wait till a price drop. Of course Tom Clancy games, Halo 2, Starcraft Ghost have been, are, and will be pre-orders

Unreal
06-25-2004, 04:57 PM
i rarely buy a game right when it comes out. i think in the past year i bought sc:pb and rs3 just so i could get online w/my friends. for the most part, though, i wait for them to show up used at gamespot. with the 10 dollar membership, the games are all 10% off then. and when you add in the specials they run, like buy 2, get 1 free, it makes for much cheaper game buying.

how do you all do it? preorder on everything and have it the first day, or wait and hear how everyone else beat the game, and then buy it?
I buy everything new. If I dont have the money, then I will wait for either the money or for a price drop.

Chadizzle
06-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Depends, if I want the game reallly really really really bad and cant wait, ill buy it new. Which is like 6-10 games a year. Mostly I buy used cus its cheaper and you can buy more games thatway

Ninjermy
06-25-2004, 10:43 PM
yea mabye once a year i go to the store and pay full price for a game. its just so much easier to buy used!!! ive never had any disk problems or anything and its just plain cheaper

TOTTEN
06-25-2004, 10:47 PM
i like to buy games i dont even like to rent games

Chadizzle
06-26-2004, 12:09 AM
yea mabye once a year i go to the store and pay full price for a game. its just so much easier to buy used!!! ive never had any disk problems or anything and its just plain cheaper
Exactly. Then when they are cheaper, you can buy more games.

l Maximus l
06-26-2004, 01:51 AM
I'm very very very selective when buying games now. I try to be as careful as possible and only buy games that I know are good. I don't like owning crap games...so, I basically try before I buy these days.

AlphaCigara
06-26-2004, 02:27 AM
I prefer getting stuff used, mainly to save a couple bucks. Like everybody else is saying, if the game is an essential i may preorder or buy new

Huckleberry
06-26-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm very very very selective when buying games now. I try to be as careful as possible and only buy games that I know are good. I don't like owning crap games...so, I basically try before I buy these days.

i have the perfect solution to my "oops...that's a crappy game" problem. an 8 year old nephew. he gets all the games i don't want to keep, except for those that are too violent or adult-themed (like hitman2).

Variation-XBA
06-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I only buy new, or used if its from a friend and completely mint

CuartoDePuto
06-28-2004, 08:11 AM
I go mostly new. If you want to get an old game, its still pretty cheap new. Trading with friends is a good way to go, or just borrowing. I hate places like gamestop that pay so little for games and then mark up the price, forget used games IMHO

ThaWatcher
06-28-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm all about trying to save a buck. I buy used....the only games that I buy brand new have been discounted heavily...I'm not willing to go broke to play video games.

Fonzie
06-28-2004, 09:58 AM
I buy used, if they dont work i get a full refund.

CuartoDePuto
06-28-2004, 12:23 PM
I buy used, if they dont work i get a full refund.

woah, that changes a lot for me, how long does that warranty last, where do you get the game?

hook a kid up

Fonzie
06-28-2004, 12:32 PM
woah, that changes a lot for me, how long does that warranty last, where do you get the game?

hook a kid up

Ebgames in ontario. They are fully guaranteed if they dont work.