PDA

View Full Version : My Xbox liveth, no more.

Xer0Mercy
06-26-2004, 08:38 PM
Last week we had some very bad thunderstorms and apparently my house got maliciously attacked my lightning. I guess it hit a line or something but yeah, in short, a lot of our electrical appliances got fried, including my TV and Xbox. :cry:

Anyway, I know that I cannot live without an Xbox, I figure I've got to get a new one soon - or I'll die. I have taken out my Hard Drive for my zapped Xbox - which I understand should still work. However, I have been told that it is not possible to transfer my old HD into the new Xbox that I get, so I can still have my game saves. Can I transfer my old HD to my new Xbox (I'll probably get a used one) and the HD still work and everything? I don't want to lose all those saves!

ash
06-26-2004, 08:54 PM
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/xbox.htm

he sells power supplys.
try replacing it and then you still can keep all your saves.

Xer0Mercy
06-26-2004, 08:55 PM
I read up at the site that if other electronics went out in the house besides the Xbox, then there's a good chance that the motherboard got fried also - which I think it probably did.

Variation-XBA
06-26-2004, 09:21 PM
I doubt it can be salvaged if every other electronic was fried.

Xer0Mercy
06-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I just don't understand why I can't transfer the old HD to the new Xbox. Does each HD have it's own code that the Xbox will read or something?

-Natas-
06-26-2004, 09:29 PM
You will not be able to put the HD of the fried xbox into another xbox. The HD and the motherboard are made to work with each other and no other do to the EEprom. The only way to make the HD of the fried xbox work in another xbox would require a modded xbox. So it looks like you get to start all your games over. You may want to plug all your new electronics into a surge protector as my surge protector has saved my gear before. :)

Xer0Mercy
06-26-2004, 09:36 PM
We had stuff surge protected... But if lightning strikes, no ****ty box with outlets will stop a million volts.

Chadizzle
06-26-2004, 09:51 PM
What I would do if I were you is go to http://www.xboxaddict.com/ and see what they have to say. Most of the staff there are masters at modding the Xbox, and they know the ins and outs of it, so they would know for sure.

Not trying to advirtise cus I dont really go there, I just have been there before. I was going to mod my xbox but I ended up not doing it.

Please don't link that site.

Reclaimer
06-26-2004, 11:16 PM
There is a security code that links the major devices within the Xbox together. When you power up, the "Bios" expects to see all the codes match from the devices when they check in on their "p.o.s.t."
If something does not match, then you get error codes and the black screen of death until it's resolved.
If your Xbox is toast, then contact that LLama guy to see if you can pawn it off on him. I have a second Xbox that died, and I'm emailing him right now.

Holt88
06-26-2004, 11:39 PM
How old is the surge protector and what brand? You get new surge protectors just about every year, they wear out.

SoundX
06-27-2004, 04:50 AM
Well, I thought it was a simple matter of unlocking, and locking it back in. But there we go, maybe that will only work with modded Xbox's.

severd hed
06-27-2004, 08:32 AM
even if you put it in a modded xbox, i wont be able to unlock it. from what i read, the only way to recover from this situation requires that you unsolder a certain chip from the old motherboard and solder it onto a new one...sounds like alot of work

i guess you didnt back up your games on memory cards periodically?

FuNkY mOnK
06-27-2004, 02:52 PM
buy the best pair of nike sneakers like that next time lightning strikes you can make it to the outlet in time to pull the plug. anyway sorry about your xbox.

ShannonX
06-27-2004, 03:50 PM
the only games i backed up on my mmeory card (the one i got for beta testing live) was halo and now my rallisport challenge profile.

Xer0Mercy
06-27-2004, 05:25 PM
i guess you didnt back up your games on memory cards periodically?
Nope... I guess I should have. Luckily I wasn't in the middle of a complicated and long RPG or something like that. Just lost Halo profiles, NBA Street Vol. 2 stuff, Splinter Cell stuff, and Madden 2004 stuff. I can redo it all... I guess that gives me something else to do.

How many blocks do memory cards hold? I might buy one... But if they don't hold much, then it isn't even worth it. I don't even recall seeing them at stores before.

severd hed
06-27-2004, 07:16 PM
they are 8mb..i forgot how many blocks. you can get quite a bit of stuff on them...but a few games are very large and take up alot of space. both splinter cell games, halo, and serious sam have huge save files. i have just over 60 xbox games..I have 3 memory cards but that is no longer enough space for all of them..but i believe that i could get everythign on 4 cards.

CuartoDePuto
06-28-2004, 08:00 AM
sorry to hear about box, damn lightning