PDA

View Full Version : My On-line Halo experience last weekend

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Well, dudes (and Xboxpebbles - dudette :D)...I finally got on-line last weekend and played Halo...and let me tell you....it was worth the wait!!!

Playing on-line was the best XBox experience I have ever had! You can have 1-4 people (via splitscreen) on one XBox and join up with a bunch more people...it's so sweet!

One of the games there was 16 people...we played 8 vs 8 CTF...Man, that was a memorable game! It was so fun! Absolutely no lag!

All I know is that I thought I was a bad ass before I started...and, man...Let me tell you...I was humbled really really really fast...there are some bad ass Halo players on there. Most are average, but, there are some "professionals" on there, too... I would say that after that experience, I'm only slightly above average only because I came in first place twice out of 30 games! lol...many 2nds and 3rds, though.

Halo is simply amazing! :D :cool: :D

The Terminator
01-21-2002, 12:28 PM
What connection do u have to provide you w/ no lag?

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 12:33 PM
Terminator...I am using my Broadband cable modem. The technique in playing games without lag is to find someone that is hosting that has a very low ping. It's critical. I cannot honestly say that I didn't play games that had some lag...but, the one I was referring to with 16 total players had absolutely zero lag :)

It's critical to find someone with a very low Ping...especially if they are hosting. To find this, just look on the right of the forum that you decide to join...there is a bar that shows the ping rate...the lower the ping the better (or the longer the green bar is, the better)...Man, I can't wait to get on-line again...hopefully tonight...but, definately Wednesday :D

LynxFX
01-21-2002, 01:21 PM
That's awesome Max. Very suprising to see that you found a server with 16 players that had no lag. I think the most I've found was 7 players with no lag.

Look for me sometime though. I go by Lynxfx on there too. :D

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
That's awesome Max. Very suprising to see that you found a server with 16 players that had no lag. I think the most I've found was 7 players with no lag.

Look for me sometime though. I go by Lynxfx on there too. :D

Sweet, Lynxfx! I'll try and find you...during the week, I can be found after 6:00pm PST...and on the weekend, any time.

As for the 16 player game...all of the people had exceptionally low pings....and were all on the west coast. I'm not sure if location makes a difference or not...I haven't played long enough to understand if logistical issues play a factor. All I know is that the host was using an OC192 (Which is compriable to three OC3s) and everyone's ping rate was very low, including mine! I was pinging around 90 at the time :) I have seen my ping as high as 125...but, not any higher...I think that makes the difference!

Oh man, Lynxfx...the wait was well worth it! Hey, I figured out the problem I was having...I had a poor connection with the CAT 5 that was connected to my XBox. I simply bought a new one and it worked! lol....all of that frusteration was because of that stupid cable! lol...oh well, no problems now :)

It's everything I imagined and more! Because I didn't play a lot of multi-player, I didn't know that you can manipulate the games so that you can add and subtract options from them...like vehicles, etc. It was so much fun! I can't wait to play again...and, I'll keep a look out for you...what time are you normally on?

DT21
01-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

As for the 16 player game...all of the people had exceptionally low pings....and were all on the west coast. I'm not sure if location makes a difference or not...I haven't played long enough to understand if logistical issues play a factor.

Yea, location makes a big difference especially if you want to play w/16 players! I tried playing w/10 people from the east side and it was very laggy.

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by DT21

Yea, location makes a big difference especially if you want to play w/16 players! I tried playing w/10 people from the east side and it was very laggy.

Dude...gotcha...that makes sense....The title was "8vs8 CTF - Westcoast only!!!" ...so, that's probably why they were stressing West Coast so much. I'm in Seattle and the host was from around my area...it worked great...and that OC192 wasn't shabby either :D

But, I have a question, though: I played a dude in Chicago, another in Tampa, Florida, and a third dude in Sacramento, CA while I was in Seattle...and, there was no lag on that either...but, it was only the four of us and we all had great pings...is that normal?

DT21
01-21-2002, 01:49 PM

But, I have a question, though: I played a dude in Chicago, another in Tampa, Florida, and a third dude in Sacramento, CA while I was in Seattle...and, there was no lag on that either...but, it was only the four of us and we all had great pings...is that normal?
Yup, I think 4 is the max you should be able to play with a fairly low ping if location is all scattered around like that. Is your SN for HAlo Online Maximus?

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 01:54 PM

Yup, I think 4 is the max you should be able to play with a fairly low ping if location is all scattered around like that. Is your SN for HAlo Online Maximus?

Yes, I use the nickname "Maximus" while playing on-line. Look me up, dude! What do you go by?

DT21
01-21-2002, 01:59 PM
Go by "Skull Assassin", we should make a team like they do on Counter Strike:). We'll be the XBA team:).

LynxFX
01-21-2002, 02:03 PM
If I'm on it is usually after 7PM Mountain Time. I haven't played for a bit but maybe I'll try to get on tonight.

**** it is nice having a day off. :D

wizkid918
01-21-2002, 02:09 PM
I plan on getting halo as soon as i finish my setup in my bedroom, i am waiting on the VGA adapter from liksang.com and then im gonna buy a switch box so i can just switch to gamespy find a game, switch to xbox join game, and then ill be set with out any hassle. need a few more controllers then everyone will want to leech of my cable... might have to brag for a week then invite some friends :p

wizkid918
01-21-2002, 02:09 PM
meant get halo online, not buy it

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Go by "Skull Assassin", we should make a team like they do on Counter Strike:). We'll be the XBA team:).

Cool, dude! Let's do it! I saw one dude last night from XBA...he recognized me...it was ZGXB.

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by wizkid918
I plan on getting halo as soon as i finish my setup in my bedroom, i am waiting on the VGA adapter from liksang.com and then im gonna buy a switch box so i can just switch to gamespy find a game, switch to xbox join game, and then ill be set with out any hassle. need a few more controllers then everyone will want to leech of my cable... might have to brag for a week then invite some friends :p

Dude, Wizkid...it's awesome just using your TV for now. Once the VGA adapter comes out, you can simply play it through that...but, in the meantime, get your ass on-line and see what you are missing! I finally came to the realization that I was missing out on something so HUGE as playing Halo on-line! D a m n, I'm an idiot for waiting! lol...It was worth every second getting everything figured out....I had to learn because I'm somewhat novice to networking. I learned a lot from all of you guys....so, a big THANKS!!!! to all my XBA buddies1! :D :D :D

I played all weekend...11 hours yesterday alone...and it only felt like 2 hours! Oh man, that's how much fun I had!

I can't wait to get my ass home and play again! I thought I was a complete bad ass at Halo until I played some of the dudes on there...lol.... If the room says "Pros only"...leave it to them...lol...they truly are "pros".... I have been humbled out of my mind. Now, I consider myself just barely above average...lol

Frostberg
01-21-2002, 02:25 PM
well, although everything may be "important" it all counts on who is hosting the game. If you get someone with a t1+ you can have those big lag free games. It also counts largely on what connection YOU have and how many people share a box. Many games I have played where just because the guy has DSL or cable he thinks he can host 3 other people and 3 or 4 on his box...if his up isint good enough Location isint a huge factor...its more on how good your conjnection is. If you have a really slow cable or DSL connection, it wont help if you are even on the same block as the host...and make sure just because you may have cable or DSL, you might not have a good connection based on where you are, the quality of lines,etc. In DSL, how far you are from the CO. And in cable how many people in your neighborhood or block are sharing the same connection.

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
If I'm on it is usually after 7PM Mountain Time. I haven't played for a bit but maybe I'll try to get on tonight.

**** it is nice having a day off. :D

Well, Lynxfx...it won't be until 11:00pm Mountain time before I can be on there if it's tonight...but, if it's tomorrow or Wednesday, I will be there around 8:00pm your time :) What nickname do you go by?

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
well, although everything may be "important" it all counts on who is hosting the game. If you get someone with a t1+ you can have those big lag free games. It also counts largely on what connection YOU have and how many people share a box. Many games I have played where just because the guy has DSL or cable he thinks he can host 3 other people and 3 or 4 on his box...if his up isint good enough Location isint a huge factor...its more on how good your conjnection is. If you have a really slow cable or DSL connection, it wont help if you are even on the same block as the host...and make sure just because you may have cable or DSL, you might not have a good connection based on where you are, the quality of lines,etc. In DSL, how far you are from the CO. And in cable how many people in your neighborhood or block are sharing the same connection.

Thanks for the info Frosty...So far, I have purposly played people that have low ping rates...and fortunately, I haven't seen my ping rate exceed 125....so, all is good... What nickname do you use in Gamespy?

Frostberg
01-21-2002, 03:03 PM
yep, the lowwer the better...but another thing that makes me mad is where some guy comes in and he has a really bad connection, and once he quits everything is better, but then the game isint even and it is really annoying for like 3v2 because they have an extra guy to guard the base or snipe or whatever...Frostberg is my gamespy nick...but usually I host 2v2 games when my friend is over, or Ill just wander into one of those t3 guys servers where there are like 3 games going at once...or if I can find a decent game. I usually play team games but its hard to resist a good free for all!

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
yep, the lowwer the better...but another thing that makes me mad is where some guy comes in and he has a really bad connection, and once he quits everything is better, but then the game isint even and it is really annoying for like 3v2 because they have an extra guy to guard the base or snipe or whatever...Frostberg is my gamespy nick...but usually I host 2v2 games when my friend is over, or Ill just wander into one of those t3 guys servers where there are like 3 games going at once...or if I can find a decent game. I usually play team games but its hard to resist a good free for all!

Dude, you just brought up something that I was trying to figure out. On the Gamespy screen, there are those little pictures of computers, obviously, showing which games are available to play because the host is wating. As you know, it shows a yellow square for available games where the host is waiting for players...and there is a red "X" on the computer screen if a game is in progress and not able to join. But, what does the green arrow mean?

I tried clicking on the green arrow and I selected "Join Game", but, nothing happened. Am I doing something wrong, perhaps?

LynxFX
01-21-2002, 03:18 PM
That's cool max. I go by the same nick: LynxFX.

DT21
01-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Dang, just played it online and it had so much lag. I couldn't really find any West coast players:(.

mattcoxonline
01-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Yo Max, you sound well hyped up!
Must have been a great Xperience. Hell, I've only played Halo twice, but can't wait till March when I'll get my own copy here in the UK.... :D

XBOX Dude
01-21-2002, 03:40 PM
:mad: **** **** you all who can play online already i'm so **** jealous of you i won't be getting my dsl till around xbox's launch till then i'm stuck with a 56k:mad:

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Dang, just played it online and it had so much lag. I couldn't really find any West coast players:(.

Well, DT21...all you have to do is pay close attention to dudes that have a really low ping...That should decrease or eliminate the lag. Try back tonight...I notice that a lot of dudes are playing on-line during the evenings or the weekends that are from the West Coast :D

mattcoxonline
01-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by XBOX Dude
:mad: **** **** you all who can play online already i'm so **** jealous of you i won't be getting my dsl till around xbox's launch till then i'm stuck with a 56k:mad:

Hey, tough titty mate....I feel your pain.

I don't get my Xbox till March and when we do here in jolly old England broadband is very rare up adn down the country - and very expensive.
Also, In america the "norm" seems to be that you all own a HTDV, we are still stuck with crappy little 17" ones....

But, that's life!

Frostberg
01-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Hell no all we own in America is HDTVs...For what i paid for my TV I could of got a 27" Samsung HDTV, but I didnt figured it was too small and I wouldnt be able to see much of a difference, and in 2006 when the law goes into effect here for every station to broadcast in HDTV I will have enough money to buy a nice HDTV...or I can always do one of those 0% interest bestbuy card things for 24months...but now I dont really need an HDTV and Im totally satisified

mattcoxonline
01-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Well I wasn't sure bout HDTVs but I thought I'd throw it in anyway! :D

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by mattcoxonline
Yo Max, you sound well hyped up!
Must have been a great Xperience. Hell, I've only played Halo twice, but can't wait till March when I'll get my own copy here in the UK.... :D

Mattcox...dude, it's so amazing...I may be all "hyped up", but, my hype doesn't do justice for how bad ass Halo is, especially playing on-line! It's so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! When you get your XBox in March, download Gamespy Arcade and Tunnel software....In fact, download it now for the hell of it :D

Also, pick up a Hub or Switch, if you don't have one, and a couple network cables (CAT 5) and get it ready because March is around the corner :D Just FYI, you might want to practice before you go on-line...there are some bad ass Halo players :D

skoot182
01-21-2002, 04:16 PM
:mad: :( :mad:

Dude (as in XBOX Dude :D )

i have the same problem, and there is no plan for anything past 56k in the future :(

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 04:17 PM

Hey, tough titty mate....I feel your pain.

I don't get my Xbox till March and when we do here in jolly old England broadband is very rare up adn down the country - and very expensive.
Also, In america the "norm" seems to be that you all own a HTDV, we are still stuck with crappy little 17" ones....

But, that's life!

LOL! 17" TVs? They make those? I have never seen one...When I was growing up (I'm 26 now), we had atleast a 19" TV and that was a hell of a long time ago! Now, I'm chillin' with my 36" TV and loving every moment :)

P.S. Hugh_Jass and Lynxfx need not reply. You both are my heros when it comes to entertainment set-ups :D I'm not worthy :D

mattcoxonline
01-21-2002, 04:18 PM
Mattcox...dude, it's so amazing...I may be all "hyped up", but, my hype doesn't do justice for how bad ass Halo is, especially playing on-line! It's so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame I only have a 56k modem.
But still, If I manage to get myself online then (I should have a new computer by then, probably a Mac) it would be slow if I were to play with you... :(

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 04:24 PM

Shame I only have a 56k modem.
But still, If I manage to get myself online then (I should have a new computer by then, probably a Mac) it would be slow if I were to play with you... :(

Dude, that hugs nutz......man, I have no idea what I would do without my XBox :eek: ....... :D

mattcoxonline
01-21-2002, 04:36 PM

hugs nutz......man
Hmm, Interesting Concept...
but I'd prefer to "hug tits"

Msterrrr
01-21-2002, 04:48 PM
hey !! max,,, congrats on going online its awesome huh? best gaming experince of my life ,,,,im east coast :mad: so i'll always be 3 hours ahead but add me to your buddy list,,,, im gattman anyone else that plays there too
who knows maybe i'll get a late night fixx of halo,, but definately the weekends!!:)

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Msterrrr
hey !! max,,, congrats on going online its awesome huh? best gaming experince of my life ,,,,im east coast :mad: so i'll always be 3 hours ahead but add me to your buddy list,,,, im gattman anyone else that plays there too
who knows maybe i'll get a late night fixx of halo,, but definately the weekends!!:)

Thanks, Mystrrrrrrrr!! Dude...did you play last weekend? I played, probably, 20 hours! lol...And, seriously...I am FAR from getting my Halo on-line fix :D I'll be there on Tuesday and Wednesday for sure....about 6:00pm PST :D

mattcoxonline
01-21-2002, 04:53 PM

Hmm, Interesting Concept...
but I'd prefer to "hug tits"
I thought that was funny but it just got ignored.... :( :( :( :( :( :(

I'm going offline now, be back tomoz where I expect to see some "LOLs" and :D :D :D

xboxpebbles
01-21-2002, 04:58 PM
that sounds awsome!!!!
i cant wait to get online
(someday)lol
from what i hear
halo online is like
another world..:(:(
i dont know what im missing, do i?
lol

:) :)

Msterrrr
01-21-2002, 04:59 PM
cool i'll be on,, actually all this talk about it im going right now:D dont you work btw,,lol
i just seen the thread about about starting clans i came across a web page that might interest anyone starting one up ,, i'll post the addy on that thread

ohh yeah over at gamespy i resize my screen size too 1024x768 it helps with the map that shows location of the other players in the room

ohh pebbles girl you have no idea !!!

l Maximus l
01-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by xboxpebbles
that sounds awsome!!!!
i cant wait to get online
(someday)lol
from what i hear
halo online is like
another world..:(:(
i dont know what im missing, do i?
lol

:) :)

lol...let me put it this way...last weekend, I had two close buddies over and they both own Halo and XBox...and they are both getting Broadband Internet (whether cable or DSL) installed this week! lol...just so they can play on-line anytime they want, too! lol... They never considered it before our experience yesterday! If you haven't played on-line, yet, you definately don't know what you are missing! It's sooooo cool!