PDA

View Full Version : Is MAX PAYNE really worth buying?

rickey939
01-21-2002, 09:55 PM
I want this game, but there again I heard it's really easy and not very long. Is this true or non-sense? I am not a great "gamer" so I bet it will take me awhile to beat. But I just want to make sure it's worth the $50 since that is alot of cash for me to spend right now.

Thanks for any insight.

WynnFire
01-21-2002, 10:15 PM
I highly recommend renting it or buying it used. That's what I did. I love the game. I bought it used for $39.99. It was the cheapest used Xbox game I could find. I was shocked. I am good with games like this but not great. I beat the game in just a few short hours. Ok, mabye a day. I had many long pauses during the game. Anyway, I love it. I beat it feeling a little bit empty inside. I am playing the harder levels and using the cheats for it.

To me, it could have been longer. Some people (possibly you) may not think it's worth 40-50 bucks depending where you get it. That's why I recommend renting it first then maybe thinking about buying it. Of course, that's just me.

Heyyoudvd
01-21-2002, 10:31 PM
for the last time: NO.

(a million people have asked the same question)

It's a great game, but you'll finish it it 3 days (Ibeat it on PC in under 10 hours).

Rent it for a few days, and you'll probably finish it. Once the game is over, you'll probably never play it again. it has zero replay.

sinizuh
01-21-2002, 10:46 PM
i just rented it for 3 days... and i passed it. it was a great game... for $5

TRUE_GAMER
01-21-2002, 11:02 PM
I was one of the few who spent $50. It's good untill you beat it but it has no replay. But I still think it's a good game to have. Because it's a head turner for your friends who don't have an XBOX. I showed some family members at a X-mas party and they were all like "oh sh t thats phat". I thought I'll educate them about the XBOX and it's potential. All in all I should have just bought it used.

XBA Staff
01-22-2002, 06:17 AM
I haven't played this game yet but I do want to rent it. I will stick with what others say and just rent this for 5 days a Blockbuster. It's a great game...only the first time throught...and it's even better when you play it on harder difficulties...but after that? Whats else? No online play...and no multiplayer modes.

Believe and don't buy this game...if you want to buy something buy something like Blookwake or something like that.

XBA Staff
01-22-2002, 06:19 AM
I was one of the few who spent $50. It's good untill you beat it but it has no replay. But I still think it's a good game to have. Because it's a head turner for your friends who don't have an XBOX. I showed some family members at a X-mas party and they were all like "oh sh t thats phat". I thought I'll educate them about the XBOX and it's potential. All in all I should have just bought it used.

But what if one of your friends say something like this? That great game you are showing us is also on the PS2 and PC.

Then what will you say or do? ;)

aronx
01-22-2002, 06:08 PM
It is a good weekend rental. I was dissapointed in the frame rate in some areas and there should have been fewer cutscenes. The lame metaphors really started irritating me towards the end. Like..."the cold wind was blowing like a satan himself was breathing death upon the land." <----NOT AN ACTUAL QUOTE FROM THE GAME.

I love you. Panic.