PDA

View Full Version : Thanks GOD, they finally realized this!

Cannibal Corpse
01-22-2002, 12:15 AM
The developers that is:

How to utilize the nifty features that nVIDIA based XPU (or GPU) has to offer. Since this chip is essentially the core of powerful GeForce 3 Ti500 (some even say more powerful, since it features double VERTEX SHADER Pipelines), we can see some amazing bump mapped textures used in a game (like SHREK, I know the game is lame, just view it as a tip of the iceberg what developers can do in 2nd generation XBox games) or DOA3 and HALO.

Being an avid PC gamer since GeForce 256 (the VERY first GPU that was released almost 4 years ago), I have YET TO SEE any of these features used in a game. (Even Quake III and billion other clones after that)

I am so tired of First Person Shooters on PC, and now that developers have realized the 'true' potential of the GeForce chip for the first time in the past 4 years, I am definitely can say goodbye to PC gaming and enter my 'Consoling' endeavor. (since they don’t utilize them in any PC games anyways)

Funny thing I used to have the opposite feeling about consoles and PC Gaming. (4 years ago)

Heck I am even tired of Quake IV, Doom III and rest of 'PC-Exclusive-Then-Will-Be-A-Lame-Console-Port' clones (yes even UNREAL TOURNAMENT, MAX PAYNE and recently announced Return to Castle Wolfenstein)

Now if only PS2 could do bump mapping and real time Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding ;)

sinizuh
01-22-2002, 01:58 AM
that's a nice copy & paste job... (from teamxbox)

LynxFX
01-22-2002, 02:12 AM
The only thing wrong with it is that the Geforce 256 SDR came out just over 2 years, not almost 4 years ago. Its major advancement was the hardware T&L which game developers are now finally using.

It usually takes around 18 months for game developers to utilize anything new brought to the table in regards to hardware advancements. The only problem is that on the PC side nVidia is pumping out new chips every 6 months so by the time a game comes out that supports all of the cool new advancements they are already 2 generations behind the hardware.

This gives the xbox the advantage for a while because the games are all being built for the same standard hardware. Nothing is changing. Now they just need to take the time to learn the in's and out's of the hardware and exploit them. 2nd and 3rd gen games should really show this. The GF4 coming early this spring will give the pc the pure hardware advantage but games that take advantage of it won't be out for at least a year.

I think we will see a yo-yo affect with who has the best looking graphics. It will go back and forth between the xbox and the pc.

GokuX
01-22-2002, 03:10 AM
U know what I've got a P3 733 with a Geforce DDR that I bought a couple years ago back when the GF DDR was $299 and I have to say that games released today that do use T & L run very well given my computer's age, whereas if I had bought a system several months earlier with a Voodoo 3 3500 instead most games would be running horribly. I can play most any game of today with the exception of Operation Flashpoint at the highest graphical levels and resolutions and still get good framerates. I can definitely see the great potential in developers learning how to exploit the Xbox hardware.

Cannibal Corpse
01-22-2002, 04:48 AM
The hell with GeForce 4 (or 5 and 6) what good it is, if game developers can't fully utilize them?

I have an Hercules GeForce 64MB Ultra (Prophet 3D II Ultra) which two years ago cost around $400, yet I have to see any PC that utilized any of its features. (so mad at PC developers)

Yet you spend $299, and essentially get a GeForce 3 Ti 500, PLUS all these for FREE:

A Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound Card (built in)
10GB Hard Disk
Ethernet Card (built in)
733MHz CPU
64MB DDR SDRAM

Gotta love my Xbox! ;)

Back to playing DOA3, and PGR! ;)

Anyone interested in QIII, RTCW and rest of PC crap that I bought? (seriously, they might worth an XBox game)

Cannibal Corpse
01-22-2002, 04:58 AM
Oh I forgot, granted the SDR version came first, then the DDR was the norm, but instead of investing time in 'developing' and 'suing' those features (even simple T&L algorythms), they pushed the clock speed, memory speed, branded Ultra and all those marketing crap.

PC was meant to be PC and with the advent and widely usage of Internet access, it is a tool, not a gaming system. (anymore)

Seriously, how many of you play games on PC nowadays?

I Don't!

I just check my e-mails, write my papers and play MP3 music. (which the third one XBox can do also! ;)

darianX
01-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Seriously, how many of you play games on PC nowadays?

**** good question man! I'll chime in here to say that I haven't played a game on my PC since November 15 :) I bought the Xbox because I LOVE to play games and I thought it would add to my "total gaming experience". Boy was I wrong. That black and green box has taken over and become the total gaming experience.

After a bit of thought, I realized that I spent $300 for a system that runs kickass games at a lovely framerate and they look great too! Boy am I stupid...just prior to getting the Xbox, I spent $300 for a Geforce3, $125 for a SoundBlaster Audigy, and another $100 or so for new surround speakers. And that was just to upgrade for the best experience!

Now I sit in the comfort of my recliner, happily gaming into the wee hours of the morning, and I'm not looking back.

l Maximus l
01-22-2002, 01:41 PM
All I know is that my Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick has about 2 milimeters of dust on it because of the events of November 15th :D

darianX
01-22-2002, 01:44 PM
heh, I just gave away my Gravis Xterminator pad to my nephew last weekend...it too had quite an amount of residue on it..LOL

Hugh_Jass
01-22-2002, 06:39 PM
I bought an XBOX specifically so I wouldn't have to upgrade my PC. It works fine for everything except the latest games. It just wasn't cost-effective to upgrade or replace my PC when the XBOX costs the same as a nice graphics card.

So, no, I don't play PC games anymore. I gave up PC gaming for XBOX and I've never looked back or felt the slightest bit of regret.

wizkid918
01-22-2002, 07:35 PM
you guys are missing out, i have to have both, maybe its just me but PC gaming is like a hobby, sure, it doesnt have all the programmable shaders that the xbox has.... YET!!! It will and there will be games exclusively for PC that take advantage of it but next year when a new thing comes out and then a year after when games will be cought up, the xbox will be 2 years old reaching the end of its console years (usually 3) and Pc will be ahead for a little while, then the Xbox 2 will come out, it is a repetitive process but still, and besides max payne is better on the PC, how many mods can you put in your xbox max payne, and i know i can kick a lot more ass in RTCW with a keyboard and mouse than a gamepad... so dont rip on it soo much

BiohazardEHW
01-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse
The developers that is:

Now if only PS2 could do bump mapping and real time Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding ;)

and there's more proof that PS2 sucks