PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know....

yall
01-22-2002, 09:33 AM
what the physical difference b/n component video cable and composite cables is? a friend of mine claims they are essentially the same cables, capable of carrying the same type of signal. im quite certain he is wrong, but cant find any emperical data to back up my opinion. please advise. thanks

Hugh_Jass
01-22-2002, 11:32 AM
I think this article is a little better:
http://computers.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342366-8-7008129-1.html

On small direct-view analog TVs, for example, you'll be hard-pressed to see a difference between an S-Video and a component-video connection from a DVD player. On higher-resolution, HDTV-capable direct-view and rear-projection TVs, though, the distinction becomes much more obvious.

Component video improves the picture quality even more by not only separating the color from the black-and-white portions of the picture but by further splitting the color information into two color-difference signals. When the picture signal is split up in this way, you get an unfiltered, uninterrupted image, with better resolution and greatly improved color saturation. And this is why component video is the predominant method of hookup from HDTV set-top decoders to HDTVs.