PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the end of Nintendo

Chr0nik
01-22-2002, 11:27 AM
I have made a few observations and have come to realize that Nintendo is getting the ****znick kicked out of it from Xbox and Playstation. Most retail stores are sold flat out of Xbox's and PS2, but there always seems to be an abundance on Gamecube's on the shelf.

Was the launch of the gamecube a tactical error on the part of Nintendo?

Has there time come?

What do you think?

JohnB
01-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Well I haven't looked at recent sale numbers. Nintendo used to be the top dog years ago and now they trail in 3rd between the 3 consoles today. But you have no reason to believe that this is Nintendo's final moments, especially in Japan. Even if you are talking specifically about America, there are a great deal of people who love Nintendo. Perhaps, I should ask what do you mean by has their time come? If you are asking if the company is going out of business, the answer is hell no. Not anytime soon...

l Maximus l
01-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Good question. It's my prediction that Nintendo will always exist since they flat out dominate the hand held gaming industry. I don't believe that Sony or Microsoft will tackle that segment of the industry any time soon...or anyone else for that matter.

As for the GameCube by itself...I think that, after a while, kids will end up being the only customers...unless a few EXTREMELY hardcore gamers decide to buy it for Resident Evil and other Nintendo exclusives.

I believe that more and more Nintendo loyalists will finally come to terms that Nintendo is a very unorganized company and finally break down and buy a PoS2 or the mighty XBox. Did I hear someone say "Dolphin"? I'm sure you see my point.

Good thread, Chronic :)

JohnB
01-22-2002, 11:50 AM
I agree with Maximus. If they continue to drop in console sales, they will become a company strictly for handheld systems. That is their strong point. I still want a gameboy advanced very badly.

Ninja Scroll
01-22-2002, 12:15 PM
is the thread starter of this post some kind of a KiddyCube hater?
Dude, KiddyCube is doing just fine in sales country side.
In fact most retailers are constently sold-out every time I go to all my local and far out videogame retailers (which is very often I might add) all the time.
Now im not looking for one right now, but I do keep up on how consoles are doing just to know what's going on in the market.
I see it came in handly for this thread:rolleyes:

But dont get me wrong, Xbox will rule da world, jsut dont hate on something you have no idea about junior!

JohnB
01-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
In fact most retailers are constently sold-out every time I go to all my local and far out videogame retailers (which is very often I might add) all the time.
Now im not looking for one right now, but I do keep up on how consoles are doing just to know what's going on in the market.

But dont get me wrong, Xbox will rule da world, jsut dont hate on something you have no idea about junior!

The question may sound dumb, but it's really not. I can see Nintendo many years down the road making strictly portable/handheld gaming systems. After all, they are always wanting to go smaller and smaller. So perhaps several years from now, their time will come as far as creating the usual game console you put in your living room. After all, Nintendo waaaayyy more Gameboy Advances during the holidays.

l Maximus l
01-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

Dude, I don't think that Chronik was ripping on Nintendo...just bringing up a valid question. It's no secret that the GameCube is in third place in the alleged "next generation console war". It's not a bad system since it will have a few good exclusives...like Resident Evil and Metroid Prime, etc... But, the question is, is this enough to save Nintendo's ass in the war of gaming consoles?

Ninja Scroll
01-22-2002, 01:57 PM
it may be is third place but I can assure you that doesnt mean nothing when it comes to the numbers. KiddyCube is getting everything Nintendo expected it to get. The system is not a failure just because the other two systems are out selling it.
And I dis agree with you on the "strictly" hand-held thing.
Nintendo is console 4ever as long as Mario & Zelda are the killer apps they have been since the day they were created.

OMG,... why am I defending da Big N? I dont know, but once Resident Evil Remake ships I know I will be helping sales.
Get off Nintendo's back guys. They dont care about being number 1 anymore. They just want to make a large profit, which they are. From KiddyCube to GameBoy Advance.
It's a three man race and their is enough room for all three to survive.:)

sinizuh
01-22-2002, 02:14 PM
actually, gamecube might not be selling well, but gamecube games are selling great... even better than xbox games.

XBA Staff
01-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Honestly I don't think this is the end of Nintendo.........Yet. I do believe that the faith of the Nintendo company does rely on the Gamecube's success.

Gamecube doesn't have to beat out Xbox or PS2...GC can be in 3rd place the whole time and still be successful. So if GC does somehow decrease in it's hardware and software sales then this could be the end of Nintendo in the console market.

If Nintendo does fail with the GC then Nintendo will most likely keep making Hand Held systems like maybe a GBA2. Also If Nintendo fails with the GC they will most likely take the path that Sega took and that's developing games for other systems like Xbox and PS2. So you'll see a Mario, Zelda, or a NBA Courtside on the Xbox and PS2.

If Nintendo does fail it won't be this year nor next year, infact it'll be in 2004.

Honestly I don't want the Gamecube to fail, I want Nintendo to stay around. If there is a company that I want to fail that'll be Sony with it's PS2. I just think the people at Sony are ****y with their PS2 product. It shows....

arnie
01-22-2002, 02:19 PM
the games are only selling better because there are more games to get. you can only have so many Halo's, or DOA's.
Nintendo will never be gone. Like Atari, they will, if they have to, resort to making games for the superior machines (XBOX)
they will always be around. Bill (Gates) might just buy them out, good tactical move there. The name everyone knows. :cool:

wizkid918
01-22-2002, 02:24 PM
the name will be around for sure, i could see where they would end up giving up on their next-gen system and focus primarily on their hand-held things, GB and GBA, it ownt be long before they have internet access too

XBA Staff
01-22-2002, 02:29 PM
the name will be around for sure, i could see where they would end up giving up on their next-gen system and focus primarily on their hand-held things, GB and GBA, it ownt be long before they have internet access too

Yeah soon you'll be able to play online with your handheld games like maybe a GBA2.

l Maximus l
01-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by arnie
the games are only selling better because there are more games to get. you can only have so many Halo's, or DOA's.
Nintendo will never be gone. Like Atari, they will, if they have to, resort to making games for the superior machines (XBOX)
they will always be around. Bill (Gates) might just buy them out, good tactical move there. The name everyone knows. :cool:

It's not a bad idea if Billy would buy out Nintendo of America (their American location as opposed to the Japanese location)...especially since Nintendo of America and Microsoft are based literally down the road from eachother!

XBA Staff
01-22-2002, 02:33 PM
It's not a bad idea if Billy would buy out Nintendo of America (their American location as opposed to the Japanese location)...especially since Nintendo of America and Microsoft are based literally down the road from eachother!

Bill Gates does have the power to Buy out Nintendo or America or maybe merge with Nintendo. But I don't think he will do any of that because he has too many other things and issues to be concentrating on that buying out Nintendo.

l Maximus l
01-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Tyrell-XBA

Bill Gates does have the power to Buy out Nintendo or America or maybe merge with Nintendo. But I don't think he will do any of that because he has too many other things and issues to be concentrating on that buying out Nintendo.

Very good point...but, I am 99.999999% positive that Bill Gates would not merge with Nintendo. If there was anything to happen, it would be an outright buy out. To give you a perspective of how much money Microsoft has, Microsoft could buy out the entire Sony Corporation (Playstations, TVs, Electronic equipment, and every other thing that the Sony Corporation manufactures) over 8 times! No joke! lol....that's kind of an interesting perspective, huh?

XBA Staff
01-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Very good point...but, I am 99.999999% positive that Bill Gates would not merge with Nintendo. If there was anything to happen, it would be an outright buy out. To give you a perspective of how much money Microsoft has, Microsoft could buy out the entire Sony Corporation (Playstations, TVs, Electronic equipment, and every other thing that the Sony Corporation manufactures) over 8 times! No joke! lol....that's kind of an interesting perspective, huh?

Correct, but it's not about who has the most money and who can buy out who. It's about who has the best games and who can sell the most games that's what it's about.

That's why many Nintendo and Sony Fans aren't interested in the Xbox because they think it's all about money. PS2 and GC fans think that Xbox fans think the Xbox will dominate just because it's owned my Microsoft so that means Xbox will have more money. And by that comment that you just made I don't blame them for thinking that.

At times us Xbox fans do get alittle ****y and think that Xbox will do this and that just because MS has pacos.

Yes money does play a key role in the videogame market, but does it play a major role? NO.

So I understand what you're talking about but like I said earlier, it's about who has the best games and who can sell the most games. That's why PlayStation was dominate over Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64.

The videogame market is very complex and requires amounts of strategic thinking to be successful. Having alot of money won't guarantee a companies success in the Videogame Industry.

sinizuh
01-22-2002, 02:52 PM
nintendo would never merdge or be bought out by any company... they'd rather die a slowly death and then go 3rd party. like Sega.

Nintendo will survive the next 3 years... but we shall see what happens after that...

l Maximus l
01-22-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Tyrell-XBA

Correct, but it's not about who has the most money and who can buy out who. It's about who has the best games and who can sell the most games that's what it's about.

That's why many Nintendo and Sony Fans aren't interested in the Xbox because they think it's all about money. PS2 and GC fans think that Xbox fans think the Xbox will dominate just because it's owned my Microsoft so that means Xbox will have more money. And by that comment that you just made I don't blame them for thinking that.

At times us Xbox fans do get alittle ****y and think that Xbox will do this and that just because MS has pacos.

Yes money does play a key role in the videogame market, but does it play a major role? NO.

So I understand what you're talking about but like I said earlier, it's about who has the best games and who can sell the most games. That's why PlayStation was dominate over Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64.

The videogame market is very complex and requires amounts of strategic thinking to be successful. Having alot of money won't guarantee a companies success in the Videogame Industry.

lol, Tyrell...while I don't disagree with what you state here, just let it be known that I was simply responding to your post in which you stated that it could be possible that XBox and Nintendo would merge. I was simply sharing my doubts about that since Microsoft doesn't know the meaning of the word "merger"...only "buy out". I only state this because Microsoft has purchased so many companies it's almost ridiculous.

I agree that money plays a role in the gaming industry...but, to earn more money, they have to produce games that interest a wide range of gamers. I completely agree. It seemed as if you thought that I might not agree or something.

Variation-XBA
01-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
I think that, after a while, kids will end up being the only customers...unless a few EXTREMELY hardcore gamers decide to buy it for Resident Evil and other Nintendo exclusives.

I have 3 friends waiting till RE comes out to get their GC :( But, I got 2 others waitng till Shenmue comes out to get their Xbox's :)

Xboxmaster2001
01-22-2002, 03:33 PM
i have a GC and i like it although i like xbox much better and im not very happy with GC right now ya they do have about 5 or 6 good games but xbox has about 20 or 30 good games it dosnt compare i think that GC is out of the market until they bring the good games here like F-Zero and the Good looking zelda i herd the flat faced zelda is a cover up because the good one is taking longer than they thought...but right now xbox can not be beat especially when febuary rolls around!!!:)

Shadow Fox
01-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Just had to come into this thread....:rolleyes:

My God, people, are we talking about NCL failing, or GameCube? It's just a console. And judging from recent famitsu sales in Japan, GameCube is doing fine, not to mention exceeding it's own hardware sales expectations in November.

Nintendo is the world leader of software sales, as they were of 99, 2000, and last year into this year. That's how they make their profit- games. And going by Luigi's Mansion alone (which is said to be a "disappointment"), they are by no means going out of business anytime this deccade (not to mention recent Smash Bros DX sales)...

Even if GameCube sold poorly during launch, Nintendo knows how to save it, just as they've done before- release more blockbuster titles. It's a known fact that Nintendo is the only 1st-party developer with million-seller track record for almost every release they've made (nope, not even Sega did it in Genesis days).

Add to this the GBA, and the present/future GCN lineup, and the former query at the start of this thread starts to seem laughable. Nintendo, unlike several other game companies, could literally survive 3 or more years WITHOUT releasing a single game from now on. There are 12 different factions within Nintendo, and over 20+ countries, and thousands of developers and staff. NCL knows what it is doing; it would take an utter failure from it development houses in 2009 to even turn Nintendo in a negative direction saleswise.

Think about it; did Virtual Boy stop Nintendo?

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose)

Toonz
01-22-2002, 05:15 PM
Nintendo is not going anywhere. I don't believe they are officially third yet either. In the month of December Nintedo had 5 games in the top 20 for the month sales wise.......2 for Gamecube, 2 for GBA, and 1 for GBC. Meanwhile Xbox had only 1 entry with HALO in 8th spot.

http://www.consolewire.com/news/item.asp?nid=2366

Hugh_Jass
01-22-2002, 06:53 PM
I just wish Nintendo would make a handheld with a decent screen. An organic LCD would be nice.