PDA

View Full Version : Is Doom 3 finished?!

GuiltySpark
07-10-2004, 03:05 AM
You decide...

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/529/529579/doom-3-20040709092738671-000.jpg

So this ad has been spotted all around the internet today and people are speculating whether it's fake, whether it's telling the truth, etc. IGN tried to ask Activision and they said "id has made no announcement that DOOM 3 has gone gold." Blah blah that's just them, what do you think?

EDIT: BTW, this is allegedly from a European marketing mag, NOT a gaming mag...

DemonLoki
07-10-2004, 04:31 AM
"Doom III has slightly lower expectations around it than the second coming of Jesus"

What?

"Hmm... religeous salvation , or a satanic-theamed video game?..."

I do love da vidgea games... :watchout: plagues? :watchout:

Variation-XBA
07-10-2004, 04:46 AM
Yup, Due Aug 3 barring no catasrophic news :)

ramprider0
07-11-2004, 02:34 AM
Whoa I'll probably get it as soon as it arrives at my Gamecrazy!

CMX Jedi
07-11-2004, 10:56 AM
GASP.... hopfully i can get my computer built by then.

pvsurfer03
07-14-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm waiting for the xbox version which will be out around the holidays.

LynxFX
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
PC version is just about to go Gold. You can check out a full review already here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=368553&postcount=75

Of course this picture is awfully intriguing as well
http://www.planetdoom.com/potd/index.asp?id=468442

PapaSKooT
07-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Of course this picture is awfully intriguing as well
http://www.planetdoom.com/potd/index.asp?id=468442

:yikes:

5 discs?!

:rofl:

MixMasta
07-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the review link, I can't friggin' wait.

Variation-XBA
07-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Any word on a DVD version? They really need to start making this the norm.

Cryogenic Pyro
07-14-2004, 02:25 PM

5 discs?!

Unreal Tournament 2004 is 6. 5 and then the play disc. I'm torn between several game purchases right now. Sacred looks to be an intriguing RPG, since I haven't played a good RPG for the computer for a REALLY long time. Diablo II even. I do want Doom III badly though. That's it. I'm genetically modifying my tree in my backyard so money grows on it.

Variation, I agree as well, and I don't even have a DVD drive. Games are getting too big for CDs.

LTM360
07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
How do 5 disks fit into that one DVD Disk Case?? :)

Also, on Gamespot.com/xbox they confirmed DOOM III has gone Gold. I'll wait on the Xbox version.. since, you know, my computer can't even play Half-Life that well. :(

SoundX
07-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Yeah same here, my PC has trouble running Q3 Team Arena and Return to Castle Wolfienstien. I doubt it would be able to take this. Anyway either way, it's been pre-ordered for my Xbox since it was officialy announced and places started taking orders.
Can't wait! :)

Doom 3, Halo 2, Half Life 2. This deffinently is the year of long awaited FPS.

DIGITAL
07-14-2004, 03:15 PM
so should we be seeing this game on the Xbox come september,i hope so but i have a feeling it will come out on October 31 ,which isnt a good thing since we all know what comes out 10 days later

Snapple
07-14-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure this game is comeing out with all those other kickass games i.e. Half-Life 2, Fable, Halo 2. Damn, it's going to be a close-up on the GOTY awards. And my computer can't run Doom either. So i'm just gonna wait for the Xbox version. That is if I have money left after purchaseing Fable and Halo. :hump:

LynxFX
07-14-2004, 03:41 PM
How do 5 disks fit into that one DVD Disk Case?? :)

Actually there are 6 discs there, and they make standard size dvd cases that hold 6 discs. :)

I'm hoping they come out with a dvd version as well.

BTW, there are debates going on whether that pic is even real as there is another photo of the same discs/dvd case that show HL-2. The question is, which one is photoshopped, or are they both photoshopped. Eitherway, DIII has a release date, HL2 doesn't.

WOOO can't wait!

LynxFX
07-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Looks like there won't be a DVD version after all:

Todd Hollenshead :

"I know some gamers are hoping to use the DVD players on their machines for something other than watching movies, but there are downsides," he said. "For us the cost of the goods and the cost of the replication and having to make two masters just isn't worth it."

And don't get your hopes up for the Xbox version to come out this year.

"We can't say, at this point, that it's going to come out this year," said Hollenshead. "There are a couple of big pieces of work that still have to be done."

Cryogenic Pyro
07-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Oh bull, they're just making excuses. How much money can it possibly cost to write to the DVD medium? Probably the same amount that they payed to write to the CD medium. They can't possibly be thinking in man-hour dollars either, since it would take a whole hour or so to create the first disc on the DVD medium.

EDIT: Oh, and now that I look at it, that picture looks Photoshopped, because there is little, if any reflection from the camera on the CDs and case that you can clearly see on the keyboard and mouse. Usually DVD cases are very glossy, and you should be able to see some light on the CDs, but that's just my opinion. Anyone have a link to the Half-Life 2 photo?

LynxFX
07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Well I wouldn't straight out call it bull as DVD authoring and replication does cost more than CD-rom. Exactly how much more, I don't know. And there could be other factors in there as well like where the replication plant is located for one. It would have been nice though. :(

edit:
Yeah I'm pretty sure now that the Doom one is photoshopped as well. Plus the CNN article says it is coming on 3 or 4 cd's. I'm too lazy to go find the HL2 ones. It was in the news at [H].

Cryogenic Pyro
07-14-2004, 10:35 PM
I guess you're right, but still, the most likely reason it costs more is because no one uses it. If it became the norm, I'm sure it would become much cheaper.

EDIT: I found that picture over there, and I must say, the Half-Life 2 one looks much more realistic, but the flash on the case still doesn't look quite right. Normally, getting such a flash effect wouldn't be possible, but if you think about it, it might be possible.

Variation-XBA
07-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Damn no DVD version.... sigh... it really needs to start being the mainstream medium now...

If you dont have a DVD drive in your comp, good chance you can't run the game anyways... and if you can run it but dont have a DVD drive, go spend $50 :P

LynxFX
07-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah I remember back in 98 when they said that everyone was going to move to putting games on DVD. Guess that was a pipe dream. I bet the GOTY edition will probably get DVD treatment.

Oh well, August 3rd can't come quick enough. :D

GuiltySpark
07-15-2004, 03:10 AM
It's teh goldzorz!!11!1!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/530/530237p1.html?fromint=1

teh wah!

Hickboy
07-15-2004, 09:54 AM
From News.com

Game developer Id Software and publisher Activision on Wednesday announced a release date for "Doom 3," the highly anticipated sequel to the top-selling shooting game. The PC version of the game will arrive in stores the week of Aug. 2, the companies said, with an Xbox version to arrive shortly after at a date to be announced.

LynxFX
07-15-2004, 11:21 AM
From News.com
The PC version of the game will arrive in stores the week of Aug. 2, the companies said, with an Xbox version to arrive shortly after at a date to be announced.

"We can't say, at this point, that it's going to come out this year," said Hollenshead. "There are a couple of big pieces of work that still have to be done."

Not that it can't happen, but it isn't looking good for the Xbox version coming soon or even this year. Remember, 'shortly after' to these guys could mean 6 months.

This lays out the performance pretty good.

From Futuremark forums
Yeah, I was lucky enough to receive my copy today, so I'll share it with you guys.

1. 6800 is a tad faster than X800 cards. Both run it in full glory

2. The game has four render paths: NV10, NV20, R200, and ARB2. All paths look awesome, even down to a g4mx, but the ARB2 path is the "full package," and is used for the R300+ and Geforce FX+ cards. It does all it's fancy **** in one pass.

3. PCI Express enhances NOTHING.

4. The difference between a 128mb and 256mb card is that the former uses compressed textures whereas the latter only compresses diffuse and specualr maps. In another words, no big deal. However, a 500mb card is needed to run the game in Ultra Quality mode.

5. 512MB is the ideal system total memory. 384 is required, 1GB is nice, but the difference is negligible.

6. Nothing special is included for a 64-bit OS.

7. A 1.5 Ghz processor is the least recommended, but a 2Ghz and above will help since...

8...The sound engine is entirely CPU dependant. Therefore a crappy soundcard works flawlessly. Not to worry, the enfine only uses a "small percentage of cycles, much less than if the engine relied on a soundcard.

9. The only reccommendation regarding faster framerates is to disable to "advanced special effects option." In other words, upgrade if you have problems.

10. They tie it up by providing three levels of "Doom lovin' PC's"

Low-End:
1.5GhzP4 or equivalent
512MB Ram
Geforce4 Ti 4800 or Radeon 9500

Mid-Range:
2.4GhzP4 or equivalent
1GB RAM
Geforce5950 or Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

High_End: Aka Hardware that doesn't exist, but best guess anyway
3.4GhzP4 or AMD equivalent
2GB RAM
GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800 XT PE.

In conclusion, the game will run well on a variety of hardware, and Rob Duffy, the lead programmer, says that the game looks real good no matter what, and that it will continue to look better as hardware improves. Like all previous id engines, we'll be playing games based on D3 for another five years down the road.

SoundX
07-15-2004, 11:43 AM
From now on, I don't even want to hear any mention a damn release date untill the game is done and ready for shipping. When I pre-ordered a copy of Doom 3 (Xbox) it said October 22nd, so I assumed that's when I'll be recieving my copy. It wouldn't be that bad if there was no date mentioned, because then they wouldn't have to announce it's been delayed and tick me off! :cuss:

They need to get that Xbox version out ASAP after the PC release, probably have alot of people would find out Doom 3 won't run on there PC see :p

Floodman
07-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey, I just saw on G4TechTV that the game is done, and is ready for manufacturing. They also released the street date, which is August 5. Pretty cool stuff.

Gronok
07-17-2004, 10:29 AM

5 discs?!

I cant wait for DOOM 3 on August :) 5 DISCS ROCKS!

FarCry is 5 discs and they fit in one CD case lol :) Sweeeett!

SPARTAN VI
07-17-2004, 10:36 PM
I think Doom3 is done. I heard PCGamer already rated it, 94% :confused:

NomadLLama
07-17-2004, 11:19 PM
pc gamer reviewed it and said that by the time they have published their magazine, it will have gone gold by then.

the john romero forums have something about it
http://www.johnromero.com/phpubb/viewtopic.php?t=2871

august 3? august 4? xbox they say is delayed till 2005. i saw it on ign, swear to god

Variation-XBA
07-18-2004, 01:23 AM
xbox they say is delayed till 2005. i saw it on ign, swear to god

They (iD) said the XB version may or may not make it this year

ShannonX
07-18-2004, 01:08 PM

Not that it can't happen, but it isn't looking good for the Xbox version coming soon or even this year. Remember, 'shortly after' to these guys could mean 6 months.

This lays out the performance pretty good.

your quote from that other forums is actually nearly a word for word copy from pcgamer magazine. Somebody just took the time to copy it down onto a message board.

GuiltySpark
07-18-2004, 04:18 PM
It's teh goldzorz!!11!1!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/530/530237p1.html?fromint=1

teh wah!

Yeah, you see, they already announced it was gold. So stop sayin "I think it's gold." :cheers:

WynnFire
07-20-2004, 02:51 AM
I will be getting it for the PC but shouldn't the xbox version be done soon? Afterall, the footage of the game it E3 this year was from the xbox version.

SoundX
07-20-2004, 07:32 AM
If it's a straight up PC port, then I don't see why they can't get it out this year on Xbox. All they need to do is tone everything down a bit right?

GuiltySpark
07-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Actually they made the Xbox game completely from scratch. It is in no way a port. It prolly won't be out till next year and prolly won't do very well, kinda like Unreal 2 on the Xbox, because everyone's already played it.