PDA

View Full Version : newbie here....questions about the x-box.....

speedyf
07-26-2001, 04:00 PM
Newbie here....Just getting caught up with all the info out there on the x-box. Excellent site you have here...btw.

As a PC gamer who really doesn't get into PS2 or Nintendo much, I'm a intrigued by the x-box. I enjoy playing pc games because of the ability to play multi-player over phone lines / broadband lines. The last console I owned was a Super Nintendo (shows how much I keep up with consoles). I like consoles because of the ability to play on your TV and the portability of the system.

I guess x-box has incorporated the advantages of a PC and a console game into one unit.

My questions are in regards to the multi-player action.

1. Since there is an ethernet port on the x-box, is there any talks about being able to hook up 2 x-box's (network) or more in one house? (either directly or through a hub of some sort)

2. Can someone link me to more information about the multi-player over broadband / phone line technology of the unit?

Just curious.....thanks in advance for any responses....

speed

giddiup456
07-26-2001, 05:47 PM
yes you can hook up x-boxes to each other but im not an expert but u wuould need more then one tv and im not sure about where i could get you more info but you can definetly hook up x-boxes to each otheer and have lan games.

speedyf
07-27-2001, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the response.

Sounds good to me. I always thought that a game console with LAN type capabilities would be awesome.

I'm a big sports fanatic and enjoy playing multiple player vs multiple player games.....such as 2 player against 2 player or 4 player against 4 player football games, etc.....

It's tough to play sitting next to each other without giving away plays. Being able to hook up two machines by a long cord from room to room solves this problem.

It will also be cool from racing games....especially if they come up with a way to connect more than 2 units via some sort of hub or switch.

Cool!!!!
speed

do the drew
07-27-2001, 10:53 AM
i heard u could connect at least 8 units via lan connection?

Aaron
07-27-2001, 05:53 PM
Well from what ive heard, its up to 32 xboxs at once, and a special xbox "hub" will be released

do the drew
07-27-2001, 07:49 PM
the speacialty xbox hub? LOL! is this just gonna be a fancy painted hub that costs more? not to be disrecpectful to the allmighty XBOX!!

Aaron
07-27-2001, 09:00 PM
lol no not special in that way, xbox uses diff ways of communicating, so a reg hub wont work

KevinM
07-28-2001, 03:52 AM
Sorry FuNiOnZ.. the Xbox will work with any current hub. I do see MS putting out a special hub (decorated) that may look similiar to the Xbox asthetics. With Sony's new flat panel portable monitor that you can hook your PS2 into.. I'd like to see MS do the same thing.

Spuz
07-28-2001, 09:38 PM
Yep, cause if it didn't use my existing Hub where all my other PCs are hooked up to the net it would be a real bad burn, man. But, it supports ethernet, so it will, obviously.

xboxlover
07-30-2001, 12:38 PM
I would like to have a big 8 person game of halo.

Aaron
07-30-2001, 01:13 PM
actually, the xbox does use different protocols when communicating, the ethernet port has security firewalls implemented so games cannot be pirated in the manner that DC was, and the USB also communicates diff so that computer items cannot be used on it, I.E. keyboard, mouse.

do the drew
07-30-2001, 01:23 PM
maybe so but that isnt what u said last time. u said that regular hubs wont work. but that shouldnt and probably wont be the case due to the broadband sharing from computer to internet.

Craiz
07-30-2001, 05:49 PM
I think the box will rock and I want one, but unfortunately what SHOULD happen and what would be BEST for gamers isn't the same as what would make the most money for M$. I would not be suprised if you have to buy a *special* hub and even *special* wires. They've already F***** the USB port so you will have to buy *special* products. They shouldn't even call it a USB port if its not compatible with the USB standard.

In a perfect world they would make the XBox compatible with existing technology so people can use what they already own. How cool would it be to be able to play a multiplayer game with XBoxes and PCs on the same LAN.

I guess I'll see how it really works once I have one in my living room.

NOTE: *special* means more money for microsoft. While I think they should rake in the dough for making a good product, there doesn't seem to be any reason to force everyone to buy more stuff.

Aaron
07-30-2001, 06:08 PM
Ah before you go on a rant about microsoft making more money, think about something. They are already selling consoles at a 100+ loss, they have to make the money somewhere, plus, if they have *special* products then they can put guarantees on em, and make them better. Mostly, if they do decide to go with a diff hub, it will be to combat piracy, which is all in all good for us consumers as it keeps prices low.

Spuz
07-30-2001, 06:40 PM
Yes, but they also stated that it would work with your existing broadband connection, so the regular protocol has to be running in there. Besides, I've decided that if there's one thing I don't like about this thing after I buy it, I'm taking it back. Just too much money to spend on something less than par than what it was suppose to be.

That also means that all these games that are running really choppy on the videos now that claim to run at 60 FPS on the final X-Box hardware better run that smooth when I pop them into my X-Box. So far the frame rates haven't been impressive in a lot of their videos. I'm staying optimistic, though, as it's not on final hardware yet.

Craiz
07-31-2001, 12:38 PM
Regarding piracy, it seems like a bad idea to punish honest customers by forcing them to buy additional hardware. I firmly believe that no matter what steps they take to prevent it, people will still find a way to steal it. I've known people who have spent more time trying to pirate a game than they did playing it. But I think more people are honest and are willing to buy a good game rather than try to steal it.

The big problem is that the stores make it such a pain in the ass to return a game after you play it for 10 minutes and determine that it sucks. Nowadays, most stores just don't let you return anything after it has been opened. In the past I've gotten a pirated copy of a game, found that I like it and then go buy it. Likewise I've gotten many games that are just not worth playing, let alone paying for.

I really don't mean to rant about Microsoft making more money, it just seems like the more I find out about the XBox the more I find they are limiting it rather than expanding it's capabilities. Of course most of that information could just be bad rumors.