PDA

View Full Version : xbox hookup help

Spaztic
07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey my girl is *****ing that I use the xbox on the big tv in the main room and she has nothing to watch....I hooked up the xbox on my computer monitor and it is blurry and fuzzy looking. I don't know what is up. Heres the setup

xbox with rca cables hooked into rca breakout box (supplied by video card) then into my ati 7500 all in wonder. When I am not in full screen mode and the display shows a window on my desktop the image is crystal clear. Any suggestions?

CMX Jedi
07-14-2004, 10:29 AM
play in the lil window

thevald
07-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Buy another TV

severd hed
07-14-2004, 11:52 AM
the problem is that the xbox is designed to run on a tv, which has a really low resolution. (around 640x480) however when you display it on your pc monitor, it is trying to stretch it to fit your much higher resolution . when you run it in a window, it is probably displaying it at the native resolution, which is why it is clear. but when you stretch it to fit the screen, it looks like crap..just like when you zoom in on a picture or crappy video file on your pc.

the easisest way around this would be to get a VGA adaptor...specifically one that takes component inputs. that way you can run component video from your xbox to here and effectivly use your monitor as a smal HDTV. this vga adapter would connect between your pc and your monitor..so nothing would be processed by your PC, which should also be better.

or you could always go buy yourslef a small tv

Spaztic
07-14-2004, 01:46 PM
well damn that is not what I wanted to hear......I do have a small tv, just thought it would look better on my monitor....oh well!

severd hed
07-14-2004, 02:11 PM
it would look much better on your monitor..if you were using better signal cables..but standard composite video just doesnt cut it. but for around $50 you could get the vga box and convert your monitor into an HDTV display

SoundX
07-14-2004, 02:16 PM
I have a VGA unit, the picture is really crips and I recomend it to you. But it's probably better not to if you have a big ass monitor like me, hurts your eyes after awhile. :cry:

Chaotic
07-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Shaggy all you need to do is buy a $70 dollar adapter that hooks your xbox directly to your monitor like Severed was talking about!

l Maximus l
07-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Shaggy all you need to do is buy a $70 dollar adapter that hooks your xbox directly to your monitor like Severed was talking about!

Yeah, that's cheaper than buying a small TV and the quality is unsurpassed by comparison!

severd hed
07-15-2004, 08:51 AM
here is what I am talking about.. to get a good picture, you will want a vga box with component video inputs. here are two that i found, one is progressive scan, the other is not. progressive scan is supposed to look better, but there are a few xbox games that dont support it. also, the xbox dashboard doesn't support progressive scan.so you woulndt see any picture until you put in a progressive scan compatible game.

regular component inputs, along with composite and s video inputs:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=222&products_id=3166&

component inputs only...progressive scan only:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=222&products_id=4233&

now i have not personally tried either one of these, but i talked to a few people who have used them, and they were happy with them.. I plan on eventually buying one..but since i have a DLP projector, and i live alone..i dont really have much of a need for it. i'd rather play xbox on a 75" screen using s-video, than a 17" monitor using component.

Spaztic
07-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Very cool thanks, I was looking at this.

this (http://www.x2vga.com/)

Chaotic
07-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Very cool thanks, I was looking at this.

this (http://www.x2vga.com/)

Shaggy that is exactly what you want!

:cool:

severd hed
07-15-2004, 09:07 AM
thats pretty awesome...all of the ones i found required the xbox high definition av pack. that definatly looks like the way to go if you are going to buy one. and if you do, please let us all know how it works out.

Chaotic
07-15-2004, 09:09 AM
I have one of those. They work great on any monitor especially HD LCD monitors!