PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Middle East(UAE) and need some help!

quamen
07-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Hey everyone I'm moving to a Middle East country, the UAE and I'm gonna have to buy a new Xbox. I was wondering if anyone knows the region it's in and what not. And where I can see the games there amd if Xbox Live will work there too? I'll be having broadband connections! Thanks again for you're guyses help!

Duke
07-14-2004, 09:13 PM
The UAE is a PAL country.

I believe you should be able to use xbox live there since I've seen people say it is available, but can't find a list of current countries, so I can't tell you for sure.

Koopa
07-15-2004, 12:30 AM
The UAE is a PAL country.

I believe you should be able to use xbox live there since I've seen people say it is available, but can't find a list of current countries, so I can't tell you for sure.

i would think xbl would work anywhere with a broadband pipe, but what would i know?

Duke
07-15-2004, 12:33 AM
i would think xbl would work anywhere with a broadband pipe, but what would i know?

I'd agree w/ you, but i've seen people who have broadband complain that xbl isn't available in their country yet. :confused:

Ford Mustang
07-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Is there some site that you can go to that will give you a list of all the countries it's available in? I mean, that would make sense to me. Maybe you could call and ask Microsoft.

And might I ask what you're moving for? Just wondering. :)

quamen
07-15-2004, 03:40 AM
My Dad works for a phone company here in Canada and he's contracting with a big company there so I'm moving out there with him. Basically I'm going to their to bike and see the culture, but it'll get sooo hot somedays that outdoor activity will be out of the question.

Thus where the Xbox comes in...which I still wouldn't mind a concrete answer to the status of live down there, I don't want to go back to...P...S...2!!! :bang:

DragonlordFrodo
07-15-2004, 04:58 AM
You wouldn't last 5 minutes over there.

quamen
07-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Why do you say that? The UAE is a 1st world country that happens to be in the Middle East. It's more first world than the US and probably Canada too. Seriously look the country up, I'm going to a city called Dubai. You'd be suprised.

DragonlordFrodo
07-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Dude just watch the news. Almost everyday you hear about a bombing, or hostages gettting there heads chopped off. I'm just saying don't expect any of the luxuries you are used to here. Expect to see violence and women being treated like crap. Whatever you do, don't take a bus over there...

DragonlordFrodo
07-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Also be prepared to learn how to speak, read and write arabic. Arabic is one f-ed up language. The letters look like tables and chairs. Also remember to to read it from right to left...

quamen
07-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Dude, do you seriously believe that? Just because of the region doesn't mean it's like all the other countries there. Because I live in Canada does that mean we're at war with another country like the US is? No. But by your logic because we're in the same war. I'm not anti or pro war that was just an example. It's ignorant thinking that spawns more ignorance and anger.

Go to the CIA's website on the UAE, it's classified as a first world country and the crime rate is 0, well almost 0. It's actually the country with the lowest crime rate in the world. It also has the biggest tourism industry in the region.

Seriously, look the country up. Find me one bad thing in the news about the UAE. You show me one of those facts. Either way this isn't a post about what you think. This is a post about whether or not I can play Xbox Live! down there for sure. Thanks.

Chaotic
07-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Why do you say that? The UAE is a 1st world country that happens to be in the Middle East. It's more first world than the US and probably Canada too. Seriously look the country up, I'm going to a city called Dubai. You'd be suprised.

The UAE is not more First world then the U.S :whistle:

I know where Dubai is, be prepared for 130+ degree days :yikes:

DragonlordFrodo
07-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Go to the CIA's website on the UAE, it's classified as a first world country and the crime rate is 0, well almost 0. It's actually the country with the lowest crime rate in the world. It also has the biggest tourism industry in the region.

It has the lowest crime rate, because nothing is illegal there. Beat your wife, get praised. Cut someones head off, get praised. Fly planes into the world trade center, get praised.

LiquidGuy
07-15-2004, 03:01 PM
It has the lowest crime rate, because nothing is illegal there. Beat your wife, get praised. Cut someones head off, get praised. Fly planes into the world trade center, get praised.

ahh come on DLFrodo, shutup that's not true. lol funny as hell thou, :whistle:
:)

MikeMan91389
07-15-2004, 03:14 PM
that quote made my day, but isnt entirely true.. nice comedy tho

Brutus
07-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Ha, ha.
Can't you like get your hand cut off if you steal something too?!
Maybe that's why their crime rate is low.
Man, I'd hate to live there.
I got to ask you though: What & the He!! is your motivation to leave here!?!??!?!??!

quamen
07-15-2004, 06:12 PM
All dumb hillbilly comments aside, can someone please tell me for sure if you can get Xbox live down there? The country has fast boradband. Thanks.

bostwick202
07-15-2004, 06:44 PM
All dumb hillbilly comments aside, can someone please tell me for sure if you can get Xbox live down there? The country has fast boradband. Thanks.
Wow boraband! They dont even have that here in the states!

quamen
07-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Are you guys retarded? Like seriously retarded? Did your coverall wearing parents beat you as an infant or some ****? When I say they have broadband I say this because Xbox Live only works with boradband so I said it to help clarify my situation. But of course someone smart like you obviously understood that and you just had to add a hilarious spin on things. Good job! Hahaha. You rock! Seriously you rule! Man oh man, keep it up!

Liquid_o2
07-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Wow boraband! They dont even have that here in the states!

Lame :rolleyes: If we are correcting how we write then you missed a comma after the word "Wow". Dumbass.

Duke
07-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Quamen. I looked around xbox.com for you. There is no list that I could find that includes all countries, just a couple updates on added ones.

Anyway, your best bet would be either to email or call 18004myxbox.

I'd lean towards yes, but like I said before, I can't say for sure. They'd be able to give you the best answer.

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Isn't the internet banned in the middle east?

Brutus
07-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I hear that they got great service there but that it's insanely expensive. I don't know how to either confirm or deny that statement though.

Duke
07-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Isn't the internet banned in the middle east?

umm, no. possibly in certain countries, but certainly not the middle east as a whole, or even a majority.

Brutus
07-16-2004, 11:12 AM
umm, no. possibly in certain countries, but certainly not the middle east as a whole, or even a majority.
Who would even actually do the banning anyhow, Suddham Hussein?

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Dude I advise you to get off your liberal high horse and don't go. Seriously. Those people live like animals over there....

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
yea forget about the xbox and just buy and bring with a couple years' supply of toilet paper, unless you want to wipe your ass with your left hand. I don't think we were given two hands to use one for handling ****, but what do I know?
Why do you want to move over there for anyways?

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Also what "culture" are you expecting to see? Surely you aren't expecting decent, law abiding people. Those people eat sand for dinner!

MikeMan91389
07-16-2004, 01:27 PM
damn frodo, you a bit racist?

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 01:29 PM
i think thats pretty much how it works though

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 01:41 PM
damn frodo, you a bit racist?

He wouldn't think so the first time his sister or mother gets gangraped in the village square while a crowd cheers them on, because she forgot to wear her burka in public.

This father of yours does not seem to be sane at all. He is taking his children away from a safe environment and placing them in harmful situations for his own personal greed. This is not the signs of a good father. My suggestion to you is to try to get your father some help. They have institutions that will help him become a better person.

quamen
07-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Frodo, I wouldn't mind leaving to rid myself of people like you. Did you go to their website? Why don't I assume the USA is just like Mexico cause they're so close? Go the goddamn website. The reason why there's wars are becuase of people like you. And I'm not a Liberal in fact I don't give a **** about politics, it's nothing but money hungry *****es that fool people like you into following them. There's nothing wrong with the country.

Once again I'm going because I BMX quite seriously, but living in Canada winter kills my biking. So I'm going to ride there too. Their Septembers to May are about 30-35 degrees and the night is about 22 degrees celsius. So it's good for me. Plus there actually is a culture to see, more culture than living here. I see it as a good thing that I'm thrusting myself into a completely new surrounding. Unlike you, who will probably die in the same place you are, and never know different.

Now I would like to honestly thank the people who have given me help. Everytime I phone 18004MYXBOX, the conversation goes something like this, "I would think that it's a possibility, but of course I don't know for sure, I only deal with North America." So they are trying their best but I guess they aren't sure. So Duke or whoever else, do you know where I can find an e-mail address to send them? I couldn't find one on the xbox site. Thanks again guys.

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Wow you are just as nuts as your father. I hope they do take you away and use you as a hostage and cut your head off. And I hope that your sister or mother does get gangraped in the village square. I tried to help, but you won't listen to me.

quamen
07-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Yeah considering, that's happened that country before...

Do you have a disorder, cause everytime someone makes an educated comment that interjects what you say, you don't come up with anything new to prove me wrong you just go back to saying the same useless drivell you have always been saying even though it has no credibility and you refuse to accept that.

I'm thinking an admin of some sort should ban him from posting or something. I make one thread and and this dinkcheese starts wishing I get my head chopped off and saying racist shizz.

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 02:30 PM
People like Quamen make me sick to my stomach. They think the US is so evil because god forbid the US went to war. Yet you forget that WE WERE ATTACKED remember 9/11? Remember the thousands that were killed in the name of Allah? That was an act of war on the middle east's part. Now Quamen is going to make friends with our enemies? Well I am proud we are at war. It makes us feel like WE are the ones in control.

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 02:33 PM
yea, hes getting a little nutts now.

orderlies!!! quick, haul him away!!!!

EDIT: I would like to add that I wrote this post while he was writting his, he is right about 9/11, but thats no reason to wish that this guy gets abdusted and his head cut off.

quamen
07-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Oh no young Frodo, you seem to have it wrong. You're the retard I'm talking about, I'm not bring the US into this at all. You seem to think because I imply you're an idiot I mean the US is idiotic, which is wrong, it's just you. I have friends in the US and family whom I visit frequently down in Fullerton. Not to mention all the bike contests I try to hit up down in the US. I have nothing wrong with the country. Do I disagree with some things you're country does yes, but even people in your own country do.

Do I hate the US? no.

Did I say I hate the US? no.

Did I mention 9/11? no.

Did I give an opinion on the war in Iraq? no.

Did the United Arab Emirates make any terrorist attacks on the US? no.

Does the UAE have any terrorist groups? no.

Has Frodo did his research on the UAE? no

Did I just prove Frodo is an idiot? YES!

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Yeah considering, that's happened that country before...

Do you have a disorder, cause everytime someone makes an educated comment that interjects what you say, you don't come up with anything new to prove me wrong you just go back to saying the same useless drivell you have always been saying even though it has no credibility and you refuse to accept that.

I'm thinking an admin of some sort should ban him from posting or something. I make one thread and and this dinkcheese starts wishing I get my head chopped off and saying racist shizz.

First of all I am not racist.

Second if you have been paying attention to the news lately, the middle east has been abducting americans and holding them hostage and then they cut off their heads.

Third You have no idea what you are talking about. You say you want culture? Why would you go to our enemie's country to find it? You could always go to italy (Great food) or Japan (Great games and women). Do you actually think that a region were all they do is blow each other up is culture. It is culture sure, but not good culture. They are the enemy. Have you even seen footage of 9/11? Maybe you should download a clip off kazaa instead of stealing music. Those people killed 1,000s that day. Would you really want to hang out with them after that?

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Oh no young Frodo, you seem to have it wrong. You're the retard I'm talking about, I'm not bring the US into this at all. You seem to think because I imply you're an idiot I mean the US is idiotic, which is wrong, it's just you. I have friends in the US and family whom I visit frequently down in Fullerton. Not to mention all the bike contests I try to hit up down in the US. I have nothing wrong with the country. Do I disagree with some things you're country does yes, but even people in your own country do.

Do I hate the US? no.

Did I say I hate the US? no.

Did I mention 9/11? no.

Did I give an opinion on the war in Iraq? no.

Did the United Arab Emirates make any terrorist attacks on the US? no.

Does the UAE have any terrorist groups? no.

Has Frodo did his research on the UAE? no

Did I just prove Frodo is an idiot? YES!

Ahh more liberal bull****. The middle east acted as a whole to bring us 9/11. And in that we shun all middle easterners. If you were a real american, you would not go.

DragonlordFrodo
07-16-2004, 02:47 PM
You know what. I am done with this conversation. I want you to go there with your crazy father and see first hand what goes on there. I'll try to show sympathy when I see you on your knees with a knife at your throat and a bag over your head...

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 02:59 PM
HES NOT AN AMERICAN!!!! HES CANADIAN!!!!!!!! READ HIS POSTS!!!!! You are getting all pissy about him not being a real american, but hes a canadian. what does it matter to you if he wants to move over there to see the culture and be exposed to a different part of the world??? the ME acted as a whole??? then why are we liberating Iraq?? did those iraqis dancing in the streets as they pulled down statues of Saddam have anything to do with 9-11???? don't be so quick to pass judgement on a whole region, although it is a dangerous and anti-american one.

Once again I'm going because I BMX quite seriously, but living in Canada winter kills my biking.

see, Canadian, not American. Drop it, you are just making an ass out of yourself.

quamen, but be careful over there, I wouldn't bet on there not being any terrorists over there, but I don't think they are targeting Canadians, and maybe they aren't that active there. But like I said, toilet paper, bring like 3 years supply, or else you will be importing it. :)

quamen
07-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Thank you TuffEagle for bringing some clarity. But actually to your suprise too, the UAE, is not anti-american. The country has American credited Universities. And they are open to the whole world(I honestly don't know what they think of Palestine and Israel). I would say that you should definately look them up. I can't stress that enough. You seem smart enough to know what the deal is. Unlike our friend Frodo, who is making no sense. I have a feeling if I talked about Full Spectrum warrior or Halo he would say the some stuff. It just sounds like he has something to say and wants to say it.

But uh...you also wouldn't know the e-mail addy to contact Xbox would you?

Duke
07-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Hey guess what guys. This was a thread by someone asking for a little help so he could play xbox live in a country he was moving to.

Instead, you decided to make asses of yourselves and bring up anything off-topic that you could. Some of you have been just as nice to other new members in the past.

As staff, I can't tell you how much we appreciate you doing that. Nothing makes the site better than acting like an idiot just because you happen to not like the country someone is moving to.

Again, thank you.

Casper
07-16-2004, 04:25 PM
You know what. I am done with this conversation. I want you to go there with your crazy father and see first hand what goes on there. I'll try to show sympathy when I see you on your knees with a knife at your throat and a bag over your head...
Keep the family insults and descriptive nuances out of this thread and off this site please. He has stated where he's from and what he's going there for - you're not God, nor will you have a final say over whether he should or should not go to the UAE. So enough with the childish banter - bring it over to the debate forums with the rest of the junk.

On topic - you will be able to play XBL over there - my old boss moved there and his kid was playing on XBL when he was here and transferred his account over there when he moved. They're pretty happy there, as far as I know.

quamen
07-16-2004, 05:14 PM
THANK YOU! Do you also know if I use a Pal version Xbox, from the region as well as games from region 2 if I can play with gamers from North America too?

Duke
07-16-2004, 05:29 PM
THANK YOU! Do you also know if I use a Pal version Xbox, from the region as well as games from region 2 if I can play with gamers from North America too?

Region doesn't matter as far as XBL goes, just the actual format of the software.

lax_defense
07-16-2004, 06:02 PM
You could go to the Microsoft home page and email them on the topic in the support section. Hope that helps.

Edit: O, sorry, you got an answer. oops. Have fun out there, I heard its nice...but hot!

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 06:38 PM
I was about to say that if all else fails you could just go show up at Bill Gates's doorstep and not leave until he told you, I mean a guy like that surely wouldn't have guards or anything. :D

Mr. Mojo
07-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey all, just thought that I'd add my 2 cents to the picture. I'm glad that the racist stuff is done. I would like to ask Frodo why he thinks that his wishes against a man that he has never met are different from that of these terrorist groups? Hatred is hatred, and I think that uninformed hatred is the worst type. The UAE is a beautiful country that has a higher standard of living than both the US and Canada. I've had some friends live there for some time. They have nothing but good things to say about the country.

On the 'real' topic of this thread, and the reason that I decided to add mine is this. I live in China. I'm Canadian, and an English teacher. My job takes me to different countries (and, yes, Frodo, all countries have culture. And I'd like to add that no culture is good or bad. Different sure, but not better or worse.) and I love that about it. One thing to warn you about is that you may need to bring your games with you. Although you'll certainly have enough money to buy all the games that you want. You may run the risk of them not being to 'official' version.

I have more than 40 games in my collection, and not one of them is 'official' (wink, wink). It makes them cheap, but they won't be recognized on XBL. You will be able to play there. If I can hook up XBL in NW China (a very poor area) i'm sure that you'll have no problem at all in the UAE.

Thank you;

Mr. Mojo

DragonlordFrodo
07-22-2004, 02:14 PM
I thought this thread was locked...

dms_doom
07-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey everyone I'm moving to a Middle East country, the UAE and I'm gonna have to buy a new Xbox. I was wondering if anyone knows the region it's in and what not. And where I can see the games there amd if Xbox Live will work there too? I'll be having broadband connections! Thanks again for you're guyses help!

Hi! Im from the UAE! You donot need to buy a new xbox cuz Dubai hold both original version of any game e.g. pal and ntsc. There is broadband here and is quite cheap and u can use xbox live... yes fake games r availible ! UAE has everything u want!

NuFF said !
:cool:

Brutus
07-22-2004, 02:43 PM
not one of them is 'official' (wink, wink). It makes them cheap, but they won't be recognized on XBL.
Thank you;

Mr. Mojo

Dude, not only is that completely unfair to the developers (You're ripping them off), but you're talking about modded Xbox's & that's just not tolerated here. You can't put that stuff on here, man. I'm serious, they may have already warned you.
Don't promote that Black Market crap you french-canadien, Chinese, Arab... Well, I don't know what you are, but since we're talking about culture... You're still ripping off developers' hard work & that just won't Jive on this legit site, man.

dms_doom
07-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Man u guys dont know crap about arabs or muslims ! Screw u ***s! U and your stupid beliefs 'bout us..... *dies*

dms_doom
07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
If u guys knew something u would post crap bout us(the muslim community as a whole) over here! These forums r for gaming discussion only so let it be.....

P.s. think before u speak ... Im sorry if ive hurt any of ur feelings , if u have any questions regarding about arabian culture or Islam please feel free to e-mail me at dms_doom@hotmail.com

dms_doom
07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Flame On :mad:

Brutus
07-22-2004, 04:13 PM
These forums r for gaming discussion only so let it be.....

Precisely! Why support Hackers & Black Market Copyright destroyers. If that's what you do to, I'd feel the same to you!
Until you prove that: Doom III looks sweet, doesn't it? ;)

Mr. Mojo
07-23-2004, 12:20 AM
I feel the need to respond to what has been said about my 'unofficial' Xbox collection. It's been said that I am ripping off developers. It's been said that it's unfair to all of those that put all of the man hours into developing the software. In responce I would like to say that I completly agree.

I did feel bad about it for a while. I got over it. You see in China there are no copyright laws. It is simply not an option to buy the real version. It I wanted the real version I would have to have it mailed from Canada. I'm not willing to do that when the game I want is just down the street. I assure you that when I was in Canada I was playing by the rules. It's just different over here.

So you are all correct. I agree, but I don't have the option over here to purchase the official titles. I know that it is wrong, but it's what you'd HAVE to do if you were living over here.

By the way, I'm Canadian. Just Canadian.

Mr. Mojo

Brutus
07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Alright. That's better.
I had no clue how Bass Ackwards it was in China. No wonder why they don't have any software companies over there. All they do is cheat & steal anything that you can actually work with.
No wonder why Lynux (That fat, Ugly penguin) is all the rave over there. Because everyone just steals it.
My question is where is the economic structure of China headed?
Last I heard was that they were one of the fastest growing economies in the world, what about software, & Hardware? They say they want to go to the moon... What about Tech Support?
They'd better jump onto the same page as the rest of the world or they'll end up in a very bad spot.

Mr. Mojo
07-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Hey Brutus, your points are very valid, if only one-sided. I thought that way too. Until I moved here. You see the very reason that you said that they are backwards is the very same reason that they are quickly propelling to the top of the world! The amazing thing about China is the different mindset over here. In America (and Canada too) we think about how can I help. I China it's not about the individual, they don't count in years, they count in generations. REALLY when I ask my students what they would do with a million dollars they inevetably respond with "I'd help my family and my country." And it's not just popaganda. They belive it.

To bring this back to the game situation; all that matters over here is; does this help the country? As it turns out free software helps the country greatly. It allows a still developing country keep up with a booming country like the US. It's helped them a ton!

I'm sure that within the next few years things will go back to normal, but until then, this is the only option.

Though I thank you for your feedback.

Mr. Mojo

P.S. I've only ever seen windows over here.

prakeem
07-23-2004, 06:49 PM
No wonder why Lynux (That fat, Ugly penguin) is all the rave over there. Because everyone just steals it.

"Linux" is freeware ;)
and it is much more stable than "Windoze"

Although 90% of the population are Muslim, there are many churches and other religious temples widespread throughout the country. The UAE is more like a trading and business district of that region. Many companies migrate to the UAE because of the vast business oppertunities. Ask Bush what he thinks of the UAE :)
For you clowns who have trashed this thread, God help you. You need to do some more research and expell your ignorance before you committ such foolish keystrokes.

:cheers:

Justus
07-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Thats freaking ridiculous, you can get broadband in the Middle East, but I can't get fricken broadband in GEORGIA!

****ING LAME!

Brutus
07-26-2004, 10:57 AM
I am in business, I'll tell you what: I'm a tools Distributor. I distribute the equipment to Independant & Co-op Contractors alike, you know where about 95% of all of their tools come from? South Korea.
Just like your TV, that keyboard you're typing on, & your Xbox. Everyone is going to be outsourced soon if we don't watch it. But that's business, & I respect that. That's America, man. If I went to a contractor with the same tool for 70% more than he's used to buying, "Because it was Manufactured in the US, he'd laugh at me.
So I guess, depending on what side of the fence your on, or where you'd like to be, you have to look at business as a whole. What's best for your company. I know we do here at my company, & that's why we succeed.

Dirty DeStrO
07-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Dude I advise you to get off your liberal high horse and don't go. Seriously. Those people live like animals over there....

I kept wondering how one person could be so ignorant and infantile and after reading about 6 or 7 of his posts I realized that he is from Buffalo and that explained all of it.

DragonlordFrodo
07-27-2004, 02:45 PM
I kept wondering how one person could be so ignorant and infantile and after reading about 6 or 7 of his posts I realized that he is from Buffalo and that explained all of it.

We are back on this huh? Listen I finally watched Fahrenheit 911 today. That movie opened my mind a bit. I always called myself Pro war (Iraq and Afghanistan), now I am thinking about it a little. Iraq really had nothing to do with 9/11. Although it is great to get saddam out of there, is it really worth it? Even though the president lied to us, saddam did in fact have WMDs at some point. He used them on his own people.

I liked how in fahrenheit 911, he showed how in afghanistan he actually put in place our own leader, that being one of bushes business partners. How bush because president because his bro was governor of florida. And how Bush ran down every company he worked for before him being prez.

I think everyone should see this movie. I gave it a chance, and came out enlightened. I think it is one of, if not the most important movie of the year if not the decade. By that I mean the movie informs rather than entertains (Although Moore used some humor in the form of sarcasm). Go see it.