PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. The Bear, you were like a son to me.

bretman1234
07-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Today, July 15th, 2004, is a day that will live in infamy. My xbox, the bear, has died on this sad day. At approximately 1:35 PM est time, while playing my season of ESPN Baseball 2k4, my screen froze with Johnny Damon on first base after a single to lead off the inning. I turned off my xbox, turned it back on, and got the dreaded "Your xbox requires service. Please call xbox customer support" screen that I get alot, figuring it was just the same it always is. I turned it off again, and then turned it on again, only to go through the same thing. At this point, worry struck my mind, and I began to revive it.

Nothing I can do will bring it back at this point, and I am deeply saddened to have to say goodbye. Thank you for the hundreds upon hundreds of hours of joy you brought me, The Bear, you were like a son to me. I will miss the loud hum you made, the white mark on your head after I dropped my tiger woods bobblehead on you, and the joy of all the DDE's you gave me. I will miss you forever, and hopefully in another life, we can be together again. Goodbye xbox :cry:

The Bear, July 27th, 2002--July 15th 2004

Casper
07-15-2004, 12:50 PM
That's what you get for playing with the Sawx....

Come on, what else was I supposed to say? Just go get a new one :p

No Fear 23
07-15-2004, 12:53 PM
well, get a new one.!!

RIP teh bear :(

LTM360
07-15-2004, 12:54 PM
:rofl: good one Casper. :)

Maybe yours will turn out like mine, don't play it for 2 months, and just for the heck of it, plug it in and try, and voila! It works.

severd hed
07-15-2004, 12:57 PM
i'm sorry for your loss

thrAsher
07-15-2004, 12:57 PM
:cry:

R.I.P. The Bear.

Dirty DeStrO
07-15-2004, 01:00 PM
My heart goes out to you ... now get off ur ass .. .cut some yards and buy another STEVE

Variation-XBA
07-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Time to go get a green one now :)

LiquidX
07-15-2004, 01:47 PM
OMG, for a second I thought MY Xbox had died. Im sorry for your loss bret. Get a new Xbox and name in The Bear Jr in honor of your dead friend.

Ford Mustang
07-15-2004, 01:54 PM
R.I.P. The Bear...a great friend.

No Fear 23
07-15-2004, 01:58 PM
damn, i feel bad bc he wont be able to retrieve everything he saved in his old xbox. you'll have to create new profiles, replay everything again. i had to do that too when my other xbox died. account recovery and ****.

MikeMan91389
07-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Mines about to die, thats why im buying a mem card and transfering everyting

SoundX
07-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Aw, damn, RIP Mr Bear.

However, from what I've heard, you may be able to save his ashes (the hardrive memory) by taking it out, unlocking it or whatever, putting it in a PC, copying the the files onto your PC hadrive, getting your new Xbox and transfering them over with one of those Datel Max Power Drives.

But look into it more if you decide to do this, I just thought it might be possible, it most probably won't be.

SPARTAN VI
07-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Send it to MS, they'll repair it for free if you didn't touch the stickers. :)

mercenary_wolf
07-15-2004, 04:50 PM
How does your Xbox die? RIP Bear..... Bear?

bretman1234
07-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Send it to MS, they'll repair it for free if you didn't touch the stickers. :)
Ummmm..... :watchout: :D

I'm gonna give it a try now that I am home after 8 hours of golf. Maybe god will give The Bear a second chance...

CMX Jedi
07-15-2004, 08:24 PM
mine said that a total of 3 times, im afrade that mines about to go too. im going to start saveing just in case.

bretman1234
07-15-2004, 08:35 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Something amazing has happened. I have attempted to turn on The Bear for the first time since this afternoon when he apparently died, and he now LIVES! HE LIVES! MY BEAR IS BACK TO HIS HUMMING WAYS!!! But for how long? Maybe I will get that ole memory card of mine. I now know that my bear is not as invincible as I once thought.

TOTTEN
07-15-2004, 08:57 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Something amazing has happened. I have attempted to turn on The Bear for the first time since this afternoon when he apparently died, and he now LIVES! HE LIVES! MY BEAR IS BACK TO HIS HUMMING WAYS!!! But for how long? Maybe I will get that ole memory card of mine. I now know that my bear is not as invincible as I once thought.
hurry up get your halo stuff and live and let the bear live in a new body(get a new xbox).
mine died on me too 2 days before the halo box came out(now i got a halo box:hump: )

l Maximus l
07-15-2004, 09:34 PM
A sad day indeed...God bless you, The Bear...may you rest in peace with my "The Bear" that fried one awful day :(

Ninjermy
07-15-2004, 09:34 PM
so it... never died it was merely acting up for a while. besides how can an xbox die? if it dies like that then only 1 part wud be broken which cud probably be replaced anyways. o well glad to hear it works though

TOTTEN
07-15-2004, 09:53 PM
so it... never died it was merely acting up for a while. besides how can an xbox die? if it dies like that then only 1 part wud be broken which cud probably be replaced anyways. o well glad to hear it works though
they have feelings too
its a attachment to an item such as a attatchment to a teddy bear and then the teddy bear gets thrown in a fire wouldent you feel bad?

MikeMan91389
07-16-2004, 01:31 PM
great analogy totten :D

JJaX
07-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I tea bagged your xbox...

Thats why it broke.

bretman1234
07-16-2004, 01:35 PM
I tea bagged your xbox...

Thats why it broke.
KiLLeRsTeVe i5 t3h oWnZ j00!

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 01:37 PM
just get a new Halo xbox and swap the HDs around, you could sell the good one or just keep it around. Keep all your old saves, get a cool new case, probably a better dvd drive, and nw everything else, not to mention the cool halo controller that comes with it.

JJaX
07-16-2004, 02:05 PM
To bad it comes with an S-Controller.

What was MS thinking....Give me the Duke anyday.

SoundX
07-16-2004, 02:20 PM
If so many people like that lumpy controller than couldn't someone start a petition to get them started up again?

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I never liked it, too hard to get to the black and white buttons and it was just too big.

JJaX
07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
I find the black and white buttons difficult to press on the S-Controllers.

With the duke, I can press the B & W buttons with my right index finger, allowing me to keep my right thumb in the right analog.

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 06:45 PM
hmmm, but then you have to use your middle finger for the right trigger, and thats just not right. I need to figure something out, maybe I will buy one of those FPS controllers, because I've really noticed not being able to turn when meleeing on Halo since I've been playing with people better than me.

Ninjermy
07-16-2004, 08:36 PM
i dont use my middle finger for the right trigger on my duke ever. you use your right thumb to control that half of the front of the controller. and yes the white and black buttons ARE better on the duke no challenge.

TuffEagle88
07-16-2004, 10:14 PM
i dont use my middle finger for the right trigger on my duke ever. you use your right thumb to control that half of the front of the controller. and yes the white and black buttons ARE better on the duke no challenge.

how are they better? u still have to let go of the control stick, and you have farther to reach. either that or you use your right index finger. I like the s, because I don't even have to let go of the control stick, just push down with the center of my thumb on the correct button, and I never leave the control stick, or use a pelican and have my index for the black and white and my middle for the triggers.

JJaX
07-16-2004, 10:18 PM
hmmm, but then you have to use your middle finger for the right trigger, and thats just not right. I need to figure something out, maybe I will buy one of those FPS controllers, because I've really noticed not being able to turn when meleeing on Halo since I've been playing with people better than me.

THats exactly what I do. I dont hold it like that the hold time, Its just in situations where I need to use all those buttons.

lax_defense
07-17-2004, 09:15 PM
who names their xbox...

O...wait...

SoundX
07-18-2004, 07:00 AM
I think overall it just depends on what game your playing, I mean, while playing Halo and FPS I prefer the Duke, but for everything else, the S just feels more natural.

ShaDovV RyDer
07-18-2004, 10:07 AM
im glad that The Bear lives once again...u can mourn no more over his unexpected passing....long live The Bear

bretman1234
08-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Well, I guess all great things don't last forever. The Bear finally bit the dust today, during mine and greedy griffin's ESPN league match. I got the loss since I dropped, but I lost more than just a football match. I lost The Bear, once again :cry:

RIP The Bear, July 27th, 2002-August 29th, 2004

Kortiz
08-29-2004, 09:53 PM
good riddance

btw -- you know your mom pissed on it so you couldn't use it anymore.

DD breasts -- right? pics please -- of your mom

bretman1234
08-29-2004, 10:34 PM
good riddance

btw -- you know your mom pissed on it so you couldn't use it anymore.

DD breasts -- right? pics please -- of your mom
Shut yo mouf cracka, you don't want me to tell everyone of your little man friend, do you? I know you said to never leak info, but you are deffinately pushin it. :whistle:

l Maximus l
08-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Bretman...did you ever get a new XBox?!

Peepers
08-29-2004, 11:42 PM
I've lost so many Xboxes I can't even remember all their names. The Xbox mortality rate in my house is high, very high.

bretman1234
08-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Bretman...did you ever get a new XBox?!
No, The Bear died in July, but then came back to life, but then died again tonight. I'm heading out tomorrow to cop me a new box, it would only be destiny if it were named the bear.

lax_defense
08-30-2004, 01:11 AM
No, The Bear died in July, but then came back to life, but then died again tonight. I'm heading out tomorrow to cop me a new box, it would only be destiny if it were named the bear.

How'd you get that name in the first place?

bretman1234
08-30-2004, 11:06 AM
How'd you get that name in the first place?
All Xbox's have a name.

I picked up my new one today. Luckily, I was able to port my gamertag onto this one, but sorry guys, Bonekrusha15 still won't work for some reason.

BTW, the new ones name is snake :(

l Maximus l
08-30-2004, 03:06 PM
All Xbox's have a name.

I picked up my new one today. Luckily, I was able to port my gamertag onto this one, but sorry guys, Bonekrusha15 still won't work for some reason.

BTW, the new ones name is snake :(

Snake, huh!?!

You know what's really funny? When my first "The Bear" fried a long time ago, I bought a new one and it was also coincidentally called "The Bear" :D

But, to top it all off, I also have a second XBox in my house (it's technically the third one I bought but I tossed out the first one that fried) and it also was "The Bear"! I kid you not... it's kinda spooky :eek:

bretman1234
08-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Snake, huh!?!

You know what's really funny? When my first "The Bear" fried a long time ago, I bought a new one and it was also coincidentally called "The Bear" :D

But, to top it all off, I also have a second XBox in my house (it's technically the third one I bought but I tossed out the first one that fried) and it also was "The Bear"! I kid you not... it's kinda spooky :eek:
The Bear has made his presence felt in your home very nicely. :)

l Maximus l
08-30-2004, 03:21 PM
The Bear has made his presence felt in your home very nicely. :)

Damn it, bretman...you're going to make me cry, dude....

:cry: Damn! :cry:

bretman1234
08-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Damn it, bretman...you're going to make me cry, dude....

:cry: Damn! :cry:
We can cry together brother :cry: :cry:

BananaMan
08-30-2004, 11:34 PM
sorry bert. i'll miss u on live. i love you bear, goodbye.

skorp
09-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Sorry to hear about The Bear... Who knows he could just have been in Hibernation and just woke him up for a bit the first time.

Oh Well, Congrats on Snake! :)