PDA

View Full Version : Adult games....

Chr0nik
01-23-2002, 11:34 AM
Would you be for or against some Adult titles coming to a console such as Xbox or PS2 which would be targeted solely for a very mature audience.

I am talking about a game that featured extreme language, extreme violence and nudity.

A sort of Soprano's for the console :p

I know the parents groups and congress would be all over this, but if they had no say... what would you honestly want.

I am all for it.

I know this will not happen since we are contolled like puppets on a string by various bodies of government, but it would be cool if we had total freedom.

robnyack
01-23-2002, 12:04 PM
actually, because the xbox itself has a parental control, game makers are free to make anything they want for the xbox. This way, game makers are free to make a more "risque" game and the parent has the ability to block it.

So, this could very well happen for the xbox, but it would never happen on the ps2, because there is no parental controls on the ps2, so sony has to tell game makers up front...."nothing too risque. We got kiddies playing."

I'm all for freedom of creativity. If a game maker comes up with something with mature content, AND it was good, I'd buy it. I sure as hell would not buy it if it were crap though.

l Maximus l
01-23-2002, 12:16 PM
Robnyack spelled everything out very well. The fact that the XBox has parental controls is another example of how the XBox is in a seperate league to that of their competition.

Video games are like movies when it comes down to it. They are rated and kids don't have the ability to purchase games with a Mature or an Adult rating without a parent actually buying it. The problem, however, that all of us gamers may run into is that there are so many naive parents out there, therefore, the government may think that the answer is to ban adult or mature rated games. This is idiotic, if you ask me. We have seen this with many different issues.

If this is such a huge problem, obviously the solution is not to ban games. What the government "should" do is help educate parents of Adult and Mature rated games, that is, if the government has so many issues with this genre.

And, just like Robnyack...I'm very selective when it comes to Mature and Adult rated games. I can't honestly say I have ever played a game that truly belongs in the genre. I mean, come on...Halo rated mature? I think a teen rating would be a little more reasonable. I'm 26, so, I'm not talking out of bias...just common sense.

Ninja Scroll
01-23-2002, 12:23 PM
WHAT ARE YOU, SOME KIND OF SICK FREAK!?!?:confused: :eek: :confused:

:D

LynxFX
01-23-2002, 12:25 PM
I think a game like GTA3 rightly deserves the Mature if not Adult rating.

rune holm
01-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I think a game like GTA3 rightly deserves the Mature if not Adult rating.

me too, buts lets see if it ever comes to the xbox.........

StudioAlex
01-23-2002, 01:07 PM
When I saw the title, Adult Games, I thought you meant, you know, the dirty kind, which made me wonder, "How's a guy supposed to, ahem, enjoy that kind of stuff if he has to, uh, hold on to the controller?"

I'm glad you weren't talking about that though. My opinion is this, violence and sex can improve a game, but only on a purely superficial level. Watching someone getting their spine ripped out elicits strong emotional response, whether it be disgust, surprise, or sheer laughter, but its effect decreases overtime. Gameplay, what really makes a game good, should last much longer. I'd rather see less violence if only to spare the world another Mortal Kombat, a game that was only cool because of its violence. Besides, raising the bar for graphic depictions only furthers to desensitize us all, and I'm not so sure I want to be desensitized any longer. I can't even sit through Saving Private Ryan again, knowing full well its intent was to illustrate the heroism of the men involved and not to get visceral arousal.

But to contradict myself, sometimes violence can be funny. Anyone see Hannibal? By the time Ray Liotta was having his special dinner I was hysterical because the movie became a parody of itself, but I don't think that was its intention.

baggachipz
01-23-2002, 01:16 PM
The only way I'd play the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer game was if it had a, uh, "mature" rating... :D

Hugh_Jass
01-23-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm all for a game that contains adult material if it is appropriate and necessary for the game. Gratuitous violence, sex, and foul language is anything but adult or mature. It's the difference between "Porky's" and "Bad Lieutenant".

BiohazardEHW
01-23-2002, 03:02 PM
what the *****...?

wizkid918
01-23-2002, 03:33 PM
i want adult games...:D